• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need a HDD with long life

ePi

n00b
Joined
Sep 27, 2004
Messages
30
Hi,

I am putting together a new system for a buddy of mine who will use it as a POS (Point Of Sales) for his business. I talked to him and from what I understand his current systems he has had right now have lasted him 5 years and wants to upgrade. He rarely turns the computer off (maybe 20 times in the last 5 years) so my question is are there a particlar kind of hdd that I should buythat will last longer then others. I mean should i get a SATA or a IDE and what do u reccomend 5400rpm or 7200 rpm. The hdd isnt going to be big, prolly 40 GB so please if you have any reccomendations lemme know
 
I'd recommend something like a Seagate 5400 RPM IDE drive, and make sure it has fluid bearings. You want low RPM and fluid bearings for less heat and wear, and use regular IDE instead of SATA for simplicity.
 
For his use I'd have to agree, that drive will run cool and last a long time. WD would do about the same.

Luck
 
Either a Samsung spinpoint 5400 or a Seagate U series would be my recomendations and make sure there is good ventilation. Heat kills hard disk as well as other things.
 
Back
Top