• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a hardware solution to control case fan based on GPU temps...

Marmotta

n00b
Joined
Oct 14, 2006
Messages
9
I have an ASUS Z87 motherboard which won't play nicely with Speedfan, so I need to probably figure out a cable solution to control my Noctua case fan feeding air pretty much directly to the graphics card. I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron and need to resleeve my PSU cables anyway, so thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any ideas on how to do it. I also ideally don't want the case fan and card fan (GTX 960 which I've enabled fanless mode on) to start at the same time, but rather have the case start at a lower temp before the card fan needs to kick in.
 
why not use Asus Fan expert or AI Suite?. both will allow you to control fans based on components temperature, but also you could instead save the job and use a fan controller with temperature probe..
 
why not use Asus Fan expert or AI Suite?. both will allow you to control fans based on components temperature, but also you could instead save the job and use a fan controller with temperature probe..

As far as I'm aware, AI Suite will only allow temperature control based on CPU temps. I don't have room in my case for a fan controller, but maybe if there's some sort of probe which I can connect internally and monitor via software, that might work.
 
As far as I'm aware, AI Suite will only allow temperature control based on CPU temps.

it allow the fan control based on each motherboard temperature sensor. so the more temperature sensor the better you can configure the fans..

I don't have room in my case for a fan controller, but maybe if there's some sort of probe which I can connect internally and monitor via software, that might work.

Via software I think it would be hard, you can try also with the Corsair Link commander (or commander mini). which can be used inside the case without problems...
 
This might help
Controlling case fans with PWM signal from motherboard CPU fan header and GPU fan header.

There are some limitations:
  • Obviously motherboard and GPU must have PWM
  • Obviously fans must be PWM
  • Motherboard can only support 8-9 fans (PWM signal strength gets too weak)
  • No idea how many fans GPU can support.

Setting up motherboard PWM control of PWM case fans:
  • Use a PWM splitter with molex/sata connector. Gelid and Swiftech are my preferred.
  • http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=2&cid=11&id=63
  • http://www.swiftech.com/8-waypwmsplitter.aspx
  • Plug PWM splitter to motherboard CPU fan header and PSU
  • Use CPU cooler fan as "master" fan. This is the fan that sends rpm signal to motherboard PWM header.
  • Additional CPU cooler fans and case fans will ramp u and down with CPU fan.
  • Can use a second PWM splitter on 3-way & 4-way PWM splitter.
  • Setup fan speed curve with motherboard bios or software. Gigabyte has EasyTune 6 and Asus has SmartFan. I set minimum at 30% fan @ 30c and maximum at 100% @ 65c. Than watch temps and see if you want more or less rpm to keep temperature and noise where you want them. My sig rig idles 24-29c @ 700rpm; 100% all cores is 42-48c :950-1050rpm.

Setting up GPU PWM control of case fans:
  • Obviously GPU fans need to be PWM. Because the GPU PWM header/plug is smaller than normal PWM we need a Mini 4-Pin GPU (Female) to Mini 4-Pin GPU (Male) / 4-Pin Fan (Male) Cable Splitter Adapter is needed-. The blue wire going to normal PWM socket needs to be cut off of mini PWM plug. (You can use this wire to monitor rpm on case fan by connecting it to a normal 3pin fan plug in the rpm position.) Plug a PWM splitter into the normal PWM socket and PSU for case fans.
  • http://www.moddiy.com/products/Mini...)-{47}-4%2dPin-Fan-(Male)-Cable-Splitter.html
  • Case fans hooked onto this splitter will ramp up and down with GPU fans.
  • Use GPU software or Bios to setup fan speed curve

For PWM control of 3-pin variable voltage fans there are two ways to do it:
 
Back
Top