Need a GOOD wireless router!

BurntToast

2[H]4U
Can anyone recommend a wireless router that is secure and wont drop out every 5 mins? I have 4 lan machines and 3 802.11g laptops. I currently have a cheap D-Link 524 but the last time I tried it (9 Month ago) it wasn't as good as I would have liked.

So any suggestions would be helpful :p

Linksys WRT54GX (SRX)
Linksys WRT54GX2
Belkin Pre-N

I've had fantastic experiences setting those up for quite a few clients already....I'm 100% onboard with Pre-N/MIMO...old G is dead to me.

I've also been looking to upgrade my wireless router (currently have a Buffalo AirStation), so thanks for the great suggestions.

Now, would I need to get new wireless adapters for the WRT54GX for it to work properly? I currently have two D-Link jobbies and the one on the wife's computer sucks. Completely.

Like BurntToast, I'd like something that's easy to set up and is reliable. You're not talkin' to an I/T guy here, so by "easy", I mean REALLY easy as in, plug into the wall, get my machine to recognize it and have it walk me through the set up including encryption of the wireless network. LOL I'm an architect, not a computer guru by any stretch.

Momental said:
Now, would I need to get new wireless adapters for the WRT54GX for it to work properly? I currently have two D-Link jobbies and the one on the wife's computer sucks. Completely.

No, you don't need to. You can use any old B or G adapter, and still benefit from the tremendous increase of Pre-N/MIMO. The only thing you don't gain...is the 108 megs of speed...your adapter will only go as fast as it's rated for. B = 11 megs, G = 54 megs.

I toss around between several PCMCIA cards in my laptops, Linksys, Belkin, Cisco...they all work fine.

To keep things easier for you, recommend (if WinXP) making sure you have service pack 2, since the built in wireless configuration utility in Windows got wonderfully easy and effective to use with SP2. And having a G card...since WPA security is so easy and more secure, over the old WEP.

well linksys is really easy to setup an encryption. First thing you do is change the router password in admin tab, then you go into wireless and wep encryption choose your type 64/128bit and it gives you a list of keys, write them down, Save and your done.

I went a step up, I added an SSID key with a putty generator and upgraded the firmware on my WRTG not WRTGX, works nicely.

All the routers probably have the same type of configurations, don't worry the instruction manuals will help you.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Linksys WRT54GX (SRX)
Linksys WRT54GX2
Belkin Pre-N

I've had fantastic experiences setting those up for quite a few clients already....I'm 100% onboard with Pre-N/MIMO...old G is dead to me.

Belkin Pre N. I have absolutly nothing but awesome performence and no disconnects.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G with the two phone ports for my AT&T CallVantage service and my wireless signals have been great when I paired it up with other 802.11g wireless devices.

Like others mentioned, I heard a lot of great things from Belkin's Pre-N routers.

I need to do some further testing, but my experience with the WRT54GX only shows marginal improvement over the WRT54G and WRT54GS with a G card.

I'd still pony up for the GX, but if you're strapped for cash...

Back