Need a good VPN enabled router.

Wrench00

2[H]4U
Need a good VPN enabled router, any suggestions. I have used Netopia ones before I don't like them much tho. Any who whats a good alternative. Ty in Advance.

There's three good-quality brands right there. Shouldn't cost you a whole lot either, but it'll definitely be over $100 :)

Or you could build one..

smoothwall.org and ipcop.org are good places to start... I'm sure the BSD flavors have VPN support also..

I need a good stable one. So Hardware prefered if it was my own I would have no probs setting up a Smoothwall. Thanks for the tips guys.

Check out Snapgear or Sonicwall, they'll probably come in the cheapest.

What's your budget?

Well, you've got the money. You should be able to get any of the lower end models from any of the brands.

Also, check out the Cisco PIX 501 and 506e.

Originally posted by Wrench00
I need a good stable one. So Hardware prefered if it was my own I would have no probs setting up a Smoothwall. Thanks for the tips guys.

Technically it's all software. Most of these "hardware" firewalls you are looking at run some sort of Linux, BSD, Unix, etc. so about the only thing different is cost, warranty, and support.

You may want to try a Netgear. fvs318 can be had for under $100 and a fvs328 has more options for under $200.. I have a 318 and have worked on some of the others

fvs318 = 8 vpn end points $90
fvs328 = 50 vpn endpoints $200
fvl328 = 100 vpn endpoints $260

http://www.netgear.com/products/routers/firewallvpn.php

Done point to point with 2 of them as well as set up a vpn under windows XP directly to the router..

Originally posted by PHUNBALL
Technically it's all software. Most of these "hardware" firewalls you are looking at run some sort of Linux, BSD, Unix, etc. so about the only thing different is cost, warranty, and support.

Typically what the "hardware" encryption means is that the product contains hardware which was carefully chosen to optimize the encryption/decryption process. Whether that means a separate processor from the CPU which ONLY deals with encryption/decryption or a specialized ASIC, the box has something in it which is dedicated to the encryption process.

A lot of times, you'll see brands that tout that they can do encryption in hardware, but then there's also the option for a 'hardware encryption accelerator'. This is usually a bunch of crap. All this does typically is offload the encryption from the CPU. As PHUNBALL said, in this case it's usually being done on hardware anyways, it's just being done on a general purpose CPU which is not designed to handle the intense manipulation of bits that is the basis of encryption. This is what "software" means, it means that the system software which is using the CPU to do everything the system would normally do is also using the CPU to do encryption as well. If it was being done on a true dedicated piece of hardware, the only time you'd need an accelerator is to upgrade that piece of hardware.

Back