• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a good quieter AC pump

SvdSinner

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
61
A few months ago, due to a slight leak, my old Hydor L30 overheated and died. Since I needed my computer back faster than I could mail-order a new pump, I found a decent pump at the local Lowes, and stuck it in my homemade external WC unit. It wasn't all bad, as the new pump has "Thermal protection" which means that it would shut itself off before burning itself up. (Which was OK, because I set up my BIOS to shut down the system at 55C, and the systems would just shut off if the pump shut down.) However, the new pump has a couple of drawbacks: It is annoyingly loud, and it really doesn't appear to be putting out much flow, even though it claims to be rated at 330gal/hour. (I'm using 1/2" tubing, FWIW)

I'd like to replace it with a new pump that has the thermal protection, and is relatively quiet and powerful. Additionally, I use it in an in-line (non-submerged) application, so it needs to be able to handle that without overheating.

FYI - I don't need a "silent" pump. My hydor was fine, if they had thermal protection, I would buy another one. The new pump can be heard easily from 30-40 feet away. I need something that is tolerable from 4-5 feet away.

Suggestions?
 
Erasmus354 said:
Eheim 1250 if you have room for it, 1048 if you dont.

I'll second the 1250.


SvdSinner, I haven't heard of any pumps having 'thermal protection' before. What's the intended application of the pump you bought at Lowe's? In you watercooling loop, I can't imagine that a pump would fail due to overheating unless you're running it dry. Your CPU would be dead/shut down long before that... so if you have the pump relayed w/ the PC, there should be no need for thermal protection. If it's not relayed, I would personally still not be afraid of overheating the pump, but I guess it's a cool (if cost-effective) feature to have.
 
pet stores usually have cheap decent pumps. Afaik, most pet stores have the via aqua's and looking at review they're decent :D
 
Eheim's and their computer based pumps (Aqua Computer and Innovatek) have been known to run for over 10 years without a glitch running 24/7.
 
I'm curious, anyone know how much louder the 1048 is than the Aquastream? I think my Aquastream died, and if the 1048 isn't too much louder I'll probably pick up one of those.
 
sabrewolf732 said:
pet stores usually have cheap decent pumps. Afaik, most pet stores have the via aqua's and looking at review they're decent :D


I've had 2 and won't buy another.
 
tbooth said:
I'm curious, anyone know how much louder the 1048 is than the Aquastream? I think my Aquastream died, and if the 1048 isn't too much louder I'll probably pick up one of those.

They have two year warranties on all AC products. Contact Sharka for a warranty replacement if you got it from them. What is the problem?

As far as loudness goes it depends on what setting you were running the Aquastream at.
 
sabrewolf732 said:
Why? Using one right now, is it gonna die or something? If so what to replace it with?

Both were noisy, both died after relatively little use. I replaced it with an Eheim 1250 - quieter and great reputation for being long-lived.
 
I just ordered an Eheim 1048, since I don't have a lot of room for a big pump in my enclosure. I'm glad I asked, because the pump I'm using suddenly has started dropping in performance big time. It is barely trickling water through the system, and I hope it holds out long enough for the new pump to get here next week.
 
Why do you need an AC pump? Is your power supply running at capacity or something?
 
Back
Top