need a good kvm

berky

2[H]4U
So I'm looking for a KVM switch. i really only need a 2 port, but if it has more it's fine. I need it to support really high resolutions and just straight up work well. i've been looking at newegg for a while but i just don't know what's good and what isn't, so i was just looking for some input from the [H].

thanks.

berky said:
So I'm looking for a KVM switch. i really only need a 2 port, but if it has more it's fine. I need it to support really high resolutions and just straight up work well. i've been looking at newegg for a while but i just don't know what's good and what isn't, so i was just looking for some input from the [H].

thanks.
I've had experience with IOGEAR, and I don't recommend them for the simple reason that they don't work with Logitech KB and mice. My MX700 cordless mouse is only recognized as a 3 button mouse, and the Elite KB programmable buttons will not work either. In all fairness, this is Logitech's fault, since they do not support ANY KVM or port replicator. Why I don't know. Maybe they just want to sell more equipment. AFAIK, this problem doesn't occur with some MS KB and mice.

What are supposedly the best KVMs made are made by ConnectPRO. I don't have any personal experience, so take that into account. I'm going to contact them next week and ask about ther KVM and Logitech compatilbility.

Buying a KVM online can be risky. I'd recommend buying one locally so you can return it if you don't like it.

Oh yeah... I don't recommend D-Link KVM switches. XP seems to freak out if you switch too many times. You seem to lose your keyboard.

qdemn7 said:
I've had experience with IOGEAR, and I don't recommend them for the simple reason that they don't work with Logitech KB and mice. My MX700 cordless mouse is only recognized as a 3 button mouse, and the Elite KB programmable buttons will not work either. In all fairness, this is Logitech's fault, since they do not support ANY KVM or port replicator. Why I don't know. Maybe they just want to sell more equipment. AFAIK, this problem doesn't occur with some MS KB and mice.

What are supposedly the best KVMs made are made by ConnectPRO. I don't have any personal experience, so take that into account. I'm going to contact them next week and ask about ther KVM and Logitech compatilbility.

Buying a KVM online can be risky. I'd recommend buying one locally so you can return it if you don't like it.

hmm... well, i do have an mx700 myself, so whatever info you find out i'd be appreciative if you let the rest of us know :).

berky said:
hmm... well, i do have an mx700 myself, so whatever info you find out i'd be appreciative if you let the rest of us know :).
Sure, I'll post back after I find out something nexst week.. For the life of me I really don't undertand how Logitech's stuff can be so proprietary that it won't work with any KVM, yet work fine with any PC. (shakes head)

i used to use a Belkin 2 port unpowered KVM switch, and it worked fine with my old logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, but it does not work with my new MX duo wireless set (keyboard and mx700) - not sure if it has to do with the KVM being unpowered since it had a plug for a power adapter, but mine didnt come with one.... :confused:

qdemn7 said:

I've just gone through 4 different KVMs and this is the only one that works flawlessly with the logitech cordless duo mx:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-416&depa=0

I have 4 DVI lcds though, so I don't use the video switching and can't vouch for it.

berky said:
I called ConnectPRO this moring and they said they could not guarantee that Logitch's stuff would work with their products.

I told them it would be a very good idea to get a Logitech MX Duo and get their KVMs working with them. The build quality of their products looks better trhan IOGEAR or Belkin.

Looks like the IOGEAR GCS1734 is the only choice for MX people, since the reviews on Newegg have more than one review saying it works with Logitech.

i have a logitech mx510 corded and a IOGear MiniView™ Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch.
And a logitech cordless kb (navigator?, its old). all the buttons on both work, drivers load just fine.

The iogear switch doesnt need any drivers, whatever it uses is built into windows. The double tap scroll lock to switch machines is kinda touchy whether it works or not tho.

I have a Belkin 2-port USB KVM with audio that I am mostly pleased with.

My Logitech optical wheel mouse works great on the USB Mouse port.

My Logitech Elite keyboard works with a qualifer: the standard 107-key portion works great on the USB Keyboard port, but the extra stuff (volume knob, media control buttons, etc.) do not. When connected to the KVM's built-in 2 port USB hub, those features work great; I just can't switch ports from the keyboard and the F-Lock setting doesn't stay enabled when I switch ports.

Ressurecting this thread... Logitech MX-500 wired, Logitech Elite Keyboard... can be done with USB or PS/2 - what works with all buttons and keys?

Right now on my case I have the keyboard in the USB port and the mouse in the PS/2. Wouldn't mind an audio plug on the KVM, but I don't care either way. I won't be using the video port, though, since my 2005FPW has a spare VGA plug. Suggestions?

fat-tony said:
Oh yeah... I don't recommend D-Link KVM switches. XP seems to freak out if you switch too many times. You seem to lose your keyboard.

I have a 2-port belkin KVM and mine craps out, now and again. In my experience this occurs when the unit is not independantly powered (adapter etc).

Yeah, I won't mind having a powered KVM, but I don't really think it's necessary for a 2-port. I will VERY rarely be using it for the 2nd machine anyway... since there is really no second machine plugged in. The only time I'll use it is for when I do computer repair (i.e. there are cables ready for a whole new computer). All I really need is a 2-port KVM that works with the Elite and the MX-500... and I dont' want to spend a lot (that IOGEAR for $140 is way too much, for instance) since this isn't going to be used a lot...

Not that I know of... is there a better place for this discussion, or should we keep it in the display forum? :)

Got a question about that IOGear router... or USB KVMs in general.

Would I be able to plug in the keyboard and mouse (through USB, obviously) to the KVM, and then subsequently plug it in to any of my PCs via the PS2 ports (with the USB->PS/2 converters that all mice and keyboards come with). I need this functionality, as weird as it sounds.

Back