Need a good encoding or compression software?

FMX

Gawd
I've always been like, "Okay, I need Nero to do anything with CDs and discs". Nowadays I am questioning this statement. Doesn't Windows basically do what Nero does, or at least their strictly burning program? You can burn through Windows explorer (data, videos, music, what have you), but what does Nero or hell even Roxio do that Windows can't?

I can understand Recode, as it formats the video so it will fit on a disc, and I can understand Vision, since it lets you edit the video somewhat with menus and such... but Vision still seems like just a burning program as well.

Anyways, I am in a bit of a dilemma. I need a good program that will compress videos to fit on a certain size disc. Say the video was intended for Bluray, well I want it to fit on a regular DVD. What is the best software for this?

I'm looking for Mac software hopefully, but PC will work if you guys don't know of any Mac specific stuff, as I have both systems available. Final Cut Pro looks like overkill. It includes Compression 3.5 I believe? I just don't need all of the video editing features I don't think.

Also, does anyone know why sometimes a video will be maybe 4 GB but Nero still says it won't let you put it on a DVD?

What is the diff between transcoding and encoding. From what Wiki tells me, they are the same thing.

Thanks guys!!

For reencoding BDs to DVD-9 or DVD-5, you can check out BD-Rebuilder (Beta) from Doom9 forums. It's by the same guy that made DVD-Rebuilder (reencoding DVD-9 to fit on DVD-5).

Anyways, I am in a bit of a dilemma. I need a good program that will compress videos to fit on a certain size disc.
Handbrake can work well for this, assuming you're okay with H.264 video.

What is the diff between transcoding and encoding. From what Wiki tells me, they are the same thing.
Encoding is to take any source, even a raw, uncompressed source, and encode it to a compressed format. Transcoding is taking an already-encoded source and encoding it again to a different format. Transcoding from one lossy format to another, without going into too much detail, is bad but typically necessary when it comes to working with video.

So, transcoding entails encoding, but encoding does not necessarily entail transcoding.

Back