Need a good case for mini-ITX Mobo...

AQ_OC

2[H]4U
Will this one work in terms of having all the right holes/standoffs

11-121-100-Z01

It can be found here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121100

I can't find a mini-ITX case that I like, as it seems too many o f them vent the PS fan over the CPU. The one above has the right features, but simply doesn't say it will work with an mini-ITX mobo. I assume it does, but I want to be sure. Thanks.

It doesn't look like it has standard standoff holes for Mini-ITX boards. I could be wrong but you would likely need to modifiy the case slightly to make a Mini-ITX board fit in there.

I think these are the holes (see the fourth one just under the wires):

Case.png

They seem to be arranged just the right way for the mini-ITX. Thoughts?

You might be right. I'm assuming you already have an ITX board but if not, why not just get a MATX board?

I do have an itx board...but it is in another case and i'm not sure I'm happy with the cooling in that case....the cpu runs 45deg C at idle. While I'm not going to be doing anything more than streaming BDs with this box, I just worry that the chips life will shorten. Probably not worth worrying about, though.

BTW, I like mini-ITX mobos....

Are you using a stock heatsink?

Yeah, I am. That's part of the problem. The PSU butts right up on the fan....I've been playing back the Dark Knight...the CPU seems to run around
~55 Deg C. Give or take.

I guess if things got really back, the CPU would throttle itself as it has built in protection. I think I'm overly concerned about this. I'm going to add a fan and just see what happens. I think we freak at the slightest sign of heat. I've never had a CPU go bad on me...I usually give them away while they are still functioning. I would like this to last a while, though...

I'd see if you can get a better heatsink in there. I know it'll make the temps drop to better levels. What case is your system in now?

This is the case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147131

I should have read all the reviews cause there is a guy talking about this very issue...though my system isn't over heating as his was...

There is no room for any other kind of heat sink...though I did order this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U6XZNU

which is supposed to work on 1155 too, but did not work on this mobo..it would have left a gap there, but I'm not sure if the situation would be any better.

These cpus are designed to take a lot more heat than we typically give them and they will self throttle if the temps get too high...so they protect themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm...after looking at this case, I kind of think the only option would be to flip the psu upside-down and cut out a vent for it on the top of the case. I know it seems like a lot of work but I'm pretty sure it would make the temps drop down significantly.

That's an idea....another user, loren, wrote this:

Other Thoughts: i took the power supply apart, removed the fan and cut a hole for the cpu cooler fan. then the turn the cpu cooler around so it was sucking from the cpu and cooling the power supply. add a fan on one side and ran asus's power management software to only speed up the cpu when i need it. lots of power in a itx
So what you say is reasonable. I'm not sure I really understand what Loren did, though.

I have two of these coming today so I will mount them on the left to provide extra airflow into the case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NPEBME

Last edited:
I'm not totally sure what that person did either. It seems like they may have done some unneccesary things. I'm thinking, if your temps are a big concern, your probobly gonna want to decide if the effort of modding the case outwieghs the benefits of just buying a new mini-itx case to use.

Have you looked at the silverstone sg07? Something like that can fit a decent range of aftermarket HSF's and probobly has other benefits over your current case. Although, like you said, if the temps actually do get too bad, the CPU will throttle/shut itself off.

Well, that's the rub. While I do see the advantages of all kind of other cases, I'm unsure if I really need them. Higher temps are not necessarily the problems that we perceive them to be. If this box never gets over 60deg C will playing a BD, then why do I care? I'm not going to do anything more demanding than playing movies (and yes, it seems stupid to have those temps for a movie, but this is a shoe box case with a PSU venting right on top of the CPU).

Yea, I know what you mean, those temps aren't too crazy or anything. I'd just let them stay that way until you have some extra cash to throw into a new case.

I do have an itx board...but it is in another case and i'm not sure I'm happy with the cooling in that case....the cpu runs 45deg C at idle. While I'm not going to be doing anything more than streaming BDs with this box, I just worry that the chips life will shorten. Probably not worth worrying about, though.

You'll be fine don't worry about it.

If that Roswell case is like the Apex case then my temps were much better after putting a 120mm fan in the hard drive area that sits by the CPU/PSU side. I took the casing off of the PSU and removed the crappy fan and just used the 120mm to make up the difference. The CPU got a little more cooling room and the PSU got a better, larger fan.

If that Roswell case is like the Apex case then my temps were much better after putting a 120mm fan in the hard drive area that sits by the CPU/PSU side. I took the casing off of the PSU and removed the crappy fan and just used the 120mm to make up the difference. The CPU got a little more cooling room and the PSU got a better, larger fan.

That sounds clever. I'm going to try something like this soon. Thanks.

I could not figure a way to get a 120mm fan in this case...but I could get two 80mm fans in there....these:

When I take the temp sensors off so they run at full speed...the temps are noticeably lower...but the noise is a lot greater (in this case, for some reason, but not in the other case I have-- go figure). With the sensor on, they run slower and don't help as much.

I could not figure a way to get a 120mm fan in this case...but I could get two 80mm fans in there....these:

When I take the temp sensors off so they run at full speed...the temps are noticeably lower...but the noise is a lot greater (in this case, for some reason, but not in the other case I have-- go figure). With the sensor on, they run slower and don't help as much.

It looks like you can fit one in there, it's nearly identical to my case. Take a look at this: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article905-page5.html

The fan will snap into place there.

It looks like you can fit one in there, it's nearly identical to my case. Take a look at this: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article905-page5.html

The fan will snap into place there.

I got the fan into that location almost...it was a bit more to the left than in this picture...but the blades would not turn as there are little divots type things on the lower side that the blades hit.... also there are these two longish sections of bent metal angling upwards from the floor of the case (I think these are used to mount an HDD there). These limit the positioning of the fan.

I think the better way to mount the fan is to use the vent holes in the cover....and put them on the other side...that way, you're closer to the CPU/PSU combination.

IMG_0396.jpg

In this pic you can see the 80mm fan in the location close to where you have your 120mm...but I took it out and put two 80mm fans on the case cover that fits down right over where a graphics card would go.

Weird, it looks exactly like mine but I had no trouble getting a Yate Loon into there, nothing is in the way of the blades or anything (yes, mine also has the mounts for a drive there too but nothing is there to get in the way. the little screw hole nubs actually help keep the fan in place).

Maybe a 92mm instead, two of them? Might be easier on the ears.

Weird, it looks exactly like mine but I had no trouble getting a Yate Loon into there, nothing is in the way of the blades or anything (yes, mine also has the mounts for a drive there too but nothing is there to get in the way. the little screw hole nubs actually help keep the fan in place).

Maybe a 92mm instead, two of them? Might be easier on the ears.

I tried two brands of 120mm fans, but neither one fit. Maybe your Yate Loon has different construction. Also, the cases are slightly different as the usb and audio ports on the front are in different locations. So while the look very similar, the could be more differences than can be seen from the photos.

Back