• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a good build for normal gaming

Benie

n00b
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
62
Hi. I posted this on Facepunch, but it got shredded to pieces by ATi fanboys picking on the fact I want a Nvidia card instead of an ATi card. :rolleyes: I hope the same thing doesn't happen when I post it here to hopefully get a better result.


I'm looking for a build that's like my current build that gives me good framerates in Crysis and Warhead(all in Medium graphics) and Mirror's Edge.
Now I'm not someone that likes spending a shitload of cash on a build I have no need for. At least a $500-$700 build should be enough for me. I think that's how much I paid for my hardware upgrade. $1,000+ is just too much.

Sure, $1,000 or more will definitely give me the freedom to do whatever I want with my computer. But I don't NEED something that powerful. Not even in the future. I'm not a hardcore gamer or an overclocker. As long as games with their system requirements stay below my CPU and RAM I should be OK. Right?
The reason I don't need a high end gaming computer is because I'm used to running my games in 800x600. That's a comfortable resolution for me.

Anyway, could anyone suggest me a build? I just need something that will give me the same framerates, if not a little better.
I don't have any money, as I don't know how much I need to save. I just need a base first.

The reason I'm having to get a new build is I'm being forced thanks to that damn lock up issue. I have no choice but to get a new build. This hardware isn't even a year old yet.

Here's my current build;
MAIN HARDWARE
Case: Unknown. It kinda looks like an old Alienware case. Thinking of getting an Antec 900.
PSU: Antec GreenWatts 650W (salvagable.. maybe)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.20GHz Quad-Core
GPU: XFX Geforce 9500GT (Looking for a Geforce GTS model card, not interested in ATi)
Audio: Siig SoundWave 7.1 PCI (will settle with onboard audio to keep cost down. Not into surround sound gaming)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (Rev 1.0)
Memory: Kingston 2GB DDR-2 (unknown of speed, thinking of getting another stick)
Storage;
Primary HDD: Seagate 160GB SATA (salvagable)
Secondary HDD: Western Digital(I think...) 250GB EIDE (want to upgrade to a SATA drive)
External HDD: Seagate Go 160GB USB (salvagable)
CD Drive: LG DVD-RW (all I know about it) (salvagable)
Floppy Drive: Standard 3&1/2 Floppy Drive (salvagable, if compatible with case)

OTHER CRAP
OS: Windows XP Home SP3 (salvagable)
Keyboard: Standard USB Keyboard (salvagable)
Mouse: Standard USB Mouse (salvagable)
Speakers: JBL Pro (all I know about them) (salvagable)
Monitors; (salvagable)
Primary: Arnos Instruments H-W19 19" Wide Screen
Secondary: Hitachi/HINT X93W D-Sub 19" Wide Screen

So can anyone help me make a good decision?
 
Last edited:
I recommend the following build for you:
Grand Total = $550 approximately, not including rebates. Shipping is free on all items.
 
Guys. Why do you feel like I should 'downgrade' to a Dual Core? I have heard that most games don't use all cores when it comes to a Quad Core. But, when you have a game that does, wouldn't it be nice to just have it already in there?

Besides. I know nothing about building computers. Infact, I was just planning to buy the parts(once I eventually get the money) and take them all up to the guy that built my system and have him build it.
 
9550 isn't up too the task of gaming. As you stated earlier most games don't take advantage of the extra 2 cores. So add 900 Mhz speed bump and 25% per clock increase workload. You get crazy fast upgrade...
 
@lt_shiro, I did not factor in any overclocking into the build. Also, I see quad-core Phenom and Phenom II CPUs listed on the CPU Support page, so they should work right? Or are you referring to something else entirely?
 
those CPUs would run the board at the upper limit of its design. Its early dead for the CPU or the board waiting to happen. Plus it does not officially supports x2 550.
 
Friends. People I have talked to. The guy that built my system. Those sources.
I don't care if they're outselling Nvidia. I'm sticking with my sources.
 
Guys. Please read the OP. I said "it got shredded to pieces by ATi fanboys picking on the fact I want a Nvidia card instead of an ATi card. I hope the same thing doesn't happen when I post it here to hopefully get a better result."

Why is it happening again? If I want a Nvidia card, that is my right.
 
Guys. Please read the OP. I said "it got shredded to pieces by ATi fanboys picking on the fact I want a Nvidia card instead of an ATi card. I hope the same thing doesn't happen when I post it here to hopefully get a better result."

Why is it happening again? If I want a Nvidia card, that is my right.

I'm not a "fanboy." Most of my current rigs have nVidia cards in them. Why? Because nVidia had the best price to performance ratio a few years ago. But now, ATi is in the lead. It's senseless to pay a premium for a product that performs on par/below a competitor priced much lower. But, if you insist, I guess it's your right to waste money.
 
They arn't fanboys. It's just that ATI cards are a better buy than Nvidia ATM. Your argument for wanting an Nvidia card is "I heard ATI cards are bad" when in fact this is not the case. At price/performance ATI is generally in the lead. Unless you find a good deal on a Nvidia card they arn't worth it. You'll end up paying more of worse performance.
My last card was a GTX 7800 and my current card is a Radeon HD 4870. My last CPU was an AMD CPU. My current one is an e8500 (I bought this before the Phenom IIs). I'll buy whoever is the better buy. Right now, Nvidia is not the better buy.
 
Well. I appreciate the help. All I need is a motherboard compatible with a Quad-Core CPU.
It will be months 'till I come up with the money. Maybe by then things will turn around for Nvidia. If not, then I guess I'll look at my options.

How about we just throw the video card out of the equation, and focus on the rest of the build?
When the time comes, I will focus on the video card.
If ATi is still better by the time I get the money, then I guess I'll settle with ATi. But if Nvidia comes back and better than ever, I'll definitely go with Nvidia. Just I've used nvidia cards since I had a FX 5200. And it's hard to break away even if this claim that ATi is now better.

I just want something that I can run games like Garry's Mod, Mirror's Edge, STALKER, and Crysis at good, acceptable frame rates at 800x600 using dual monitors. Like my current build. Minus the lock up issue.
 
Last edited:
Well, if you are going to buy it in a few months the build will probably change.
I'm guess it will go something like this though:
1. Keep your current board and update the BIOS. It should take a Phenom II 940 with the latest BIOS
Source:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2813#anchor_os

Phenom II 940 (180$)
4GB DDR2 Ram (60$)
Video card (200$)
640GB Western digital black hard drive (70$)

Your speakers(I'm guessing they are cheap 10$ ones) and monitor are...poop.
I'd recommend Swans M12 for speakers for ~100$
and well, I hate to say it, but probably a TN panel monitor for around 200$?

Total is 810$ and I think this would improve your gaming experience the most. I'd say the speakers and monitor are really going to help.

In the end you should be able to play games at 1900x1200 smoothly. Even Crysis should run okay at 1900x1200.
 
Ok. As I said, I run games at 800x600. Easy on my eyes.
Also, I appreciate you suggesting new speakers and monitors, but I will settle with the ones I got for now. They work great, and I'm not into surround sound. Just general gaming.
 
What are you talking about? 800x600 isn't any easier on the eyes. Old games used to scale with the resolution but that isn't the case anymore. Now its just the exact same image but made with less pixels.

Also, those speakers arn't surround they are reasonable quality 2.1 speakers. If you are playing single player games you will feel much more immersion when you play with a decent set of speakers.
 
Last edited:
At 800x600, you'll be more CPU limited than GPU, so get a good CPU. The original Phenom's stunk it up, but the Phenom II's are much, much better. The 940 X4 that Jospeh recommended is a good choice. However, if its your board thats causing your problems, then you may have the same issue with the new CPU. If that is the case, I'd simply RMA the board, buy a new one, then sell the replacement from Gigabyte.
 
Back
Top