Need a gaming soundcard

Vlad335

Gawd
I'm building a Gaming PC for my Brother in law and need a soundcard for it. He is definately working on a budget here so the 100.00 and up cards are out of the question.

Since his PC will be mostly for gaming I need a card with a processor chip on it. Something that won't bog down the CPU.

Myself, I still use a Santa Cruz but I can't find one anywhere. Been out of the gaming audio scene for awhile and wondering whats out there.

Dew said:
Could always go with the Santa Cruz :D

Sweet!

Thats about a 30 mile drive but I never had any problems with my Santacruz and gaming. ( I know its old.) My computer upstairs will bog with heavy action in BF:V which I atrribute to a SB Live X-Gamer. It has an XP 2000, 1 Gig DDR, and a Geforce4 Ti 4600 so it has to be the soundcard. The computer I am building for my Brother in Law will be used for mostly Battlefield. ( 42 and BF:V )

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-120-103&depa=0

Vlad335 said:
Sweet!

Thats about a 30 mile drive but I never had any problems with my Santacruz and gaming. ( I know its old.) My computer upstairs will bog with heavy action in BF:V which I atrribute to a SB Live X-Gamer. It has an XP 2000, 1 Gig DDR, and a Geforce4 Ti 4600 so it has to be the soundcard. The computer I am building for my Brother in Law will be used for mostly Battlefield. ( 42 and BF:V )

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-120-103&depa=0

The Chaintech, like a few other VIA ENVY chipset based cards sounds superior to the Audigy2 in music playback. SB cards are better for gaming, because their hardware allows for the least amount of performance drop in games. (ie you'll lose more fps etc if you use the chaintech instead of an audigy, but if your bro-in-law's system is decent he probably wouldn't notice a dramatic difference)

3 of my friends purchased the Chaintech recently as their primary system cards, and it works out fine for them when gaming. They run Radeon 9600/9800's and XP 22002400/2800s. I just ordered one myself - gonna try using sb live for gaming, and chaintech for music at same time.

Back