Need a card recommendation

Subliminal

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
158
I just bought my girlfriend a copy of the Sims2 for her Christmas present. She has a dell 1.8 G p4 (old style w/ pc133 memory and the like). I think the machine won't play the game w/o a video card. It says it needs 32MB and T&L support (or something like that).

I was wondering if someone could make a recommendation for a good, inexpensive card for this scenario?

GF4 MX?

Thanks!

damon
 
Check ebay for a Geforce3 or Geforce4 (a ti, NOT mx) and get what is within your budget. The 9600 pro is also nice although slightly more expensive.
 
Yeah, I looked it up on Dell's site (after finding it on ebay ;)) and it does indeed have a 4x AGP slot. Which struck me a little odd as it uses PC133 memory.

d
 
I think I'm making this more confusing that it should be. I thought, for a time, that I needed a card that was directx9 compliant. But maybe I don't. Maybe I would be better off with a gf3ti or something along those lines.

I'd like a card (around $50, new or used or refurb) that will help out with the game a little bit...her computer is slow enough that it probably needs all the help it can get.

d
 
I second the GeForce3. You should be able to get it off ebay for $40-50. Although it can only do DX8 shaders, it complies with DX9. If you can get a GeForce4 Ti4200 for about $50-60, go with that, as it's a lot faster. Radeon 8500 should be okay too.
 
Back
Top