Need a bit of help with RDP settings win2k

CYKOTIKTEK

Limp Gawd
The long and short of it I work in a bunch of old junk and I am trying to teach it new tricks if possible. I need two different users to be able to RDP into the same system one with a password for the administrator account one with no password to the locked down account.
Windows 2000 os RDP'd to Windows 2000 server

Any help would be great.

Don't you have to have a password on an account to use it for RDP?

Where I work it is a show stopper for the project if they have to put in a username and password to get to the locked down account :rolleyes:

Database
yes but you can set your RDP to automatically login using the users credentials which will log it in without a password. That only works for one account I need to able to get into two different accounts...

Sorry this is a mess thats why i am asking for help. This is not exactly my ideal scenario but I am out numbered

If anything, and if I'm remembering correctly, you should be able to save the password into the RDP profile on the machine you are connecting from.

If anything, and if I'm remembering correctly, you should be able to save the password into the RDP profile on the machine you are connecting from.

Haven't been able to get this settings to "stick" to the account that I am trying to connect from.

Personally I am thinking this is a lost cause and it is not going to work but the accountants at work that run the department think with a wave of the wand this all magically works lol

Haven't been able to get this settings to "stick" to the account that I am trying to connect from.

Personally I am thinking this is a lost cause and it is not going to work but the accountants at work that run the department think with a wave of the wand this all magically works lol

If i remember correctly isn't this setting a on or off feature of 2000k server ?

I think the bigger issue is running vastly out-of-date software connected to the internet. Virtualize those machines and kill multiple birds with one stone.
XP/2003 can allow remote logins without a password by modifying the Local Security Policy:
Security Policies -> Local Securities -> Security Options (for user using Group Policy Editor or GPEdit.msc, expand Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options). Locate Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only policy, and set its value to Disabled

Registry edit of the above:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa]
"LimitBlankPasswordUse"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]

http://www.mydigitallife.info/trick...without-password-or-with-blank-null-password/

I don't have a W2K machine handy to test on, good luck.

As mentioned previously, this is NOT a recommended practice, this DOES put your organizations data at risk, it IS probably dumb.

I think the bigger issue is running vastly out-of-date software connected to the internet. Virtualize those machines and kill multiple birds with one stone.
XP/2003 can allow remote logins without a password by modifying the Local Security Policy:
Security Policies -> Local Securities -> Security Options (for user using Group Policy Editor or GPEdit.msc, expand Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options). Locate Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only policy, and set its value to Disabled

Registry edit of the above:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]

http://www.mydigitallife.info/trick...without-password-or-with-blank-null-password/

I don't have a W2K machine handy to test on, good luck.

As mentioned previously, this is NOT a recommended practice, this DOES put your organizations data at risk, it IS probably dumb.

Win2k doesn't even get updates lol! Useless !

Could get a technetium account for 200$ if that , then be legit and use 2008r2

The accountant would be my bosses pushing this project I would rather not give the name of the software. The basic setup we have a database and program on one server that they would like to connect to using RDP from a seperate computer that a user can connect through with no username and password.

useless program yes. upgrading over 120 servers to 2008r2 is in the works but that will take time. Is this unsecure practice.... I think so does that mean I get anywhere with my opinion no not really.

Back