Need a Basic AB speaker switch.

ElementBilly

Limp Gawd
Trying to find a cheep AB switch to use for my Klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers. I have 2 sets of the L/R speakers as my original sub died after about 8 years. I have two screen setups at my desk one for my racing wheel and one for everything else. I have gotten sick of physically moving the speakers back and forth, so figure might as well put the extras to good use.

Any way, from what I read the L/R speakers pull 35w's each. Any recommendations on a switch. Im hoping to go cheep and small as long as it doesn't kill the sound.

With this only being rated for 10w's will it sound like crap?
Amazon.com: A/b a B A+b Stereo Speaker Selector Switch Switcher Combiner 2 Way Black Box: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Check out your local Radioshack, they sell a few different ones, the better ones do both video and audio but cost a lot more than ten bucks. There are some KVMs that do audio too. I had a cheap audio switcher but used it to switch between headphones and speakers.

Speakers do not 'pull' anything. They have power ratings. It means that you can insert 35 watts to them without breaking them. Your average wattage during listening is usually between 5 and 10 watts.

The speakers you've got have so many issues even without the switch that I'd be surprised if it made a difference.

Back in the day I made my own A/B 1/8" plug switch when I was using different sound cards for DOS and Windows.

But I could have used it backwards to switch between two different sets of speakers.

All you really need is a small project box, a dual poll switch, whatever type of plugs you are using for the speakers, and some wires.

For tools you really just need a drill and a soldering iron.

You can make one that is about 3"x3"x3" in size.

Back