need a backup program

todlerix

2[H]4U
i have tons of clients looking for a good data back up solution

basically the hardware part isnt a problem, NAS or internal slave drive, USB w/e i got the hardware.. i just need some software

Things i want the software to do:

Back up directories, date them, and put them in a back up folder (in native data format) after 12 weeks of backups suddenly they have no more room on the hard drive.. so i'd like the program to delete the oldest back ups, however it may do this i think the best thing to do is delete oldest thing once 80% of max capacity is reached

so in short, i want to point to directory tell it to back up, it to back up on a scheduler and it backs it up with date and deletes if drive/partition is full

any suggestions anyone? maybe some data integrity checking would be nice

I'll post this here if it helps you. My backup scheme is as follows;

I have two linux servers. One is my file server, the other is the backup server. Both run raid5 sets, software mode. Once an hour, via cron job, I rsync the directories from the file server to the backup server, perserving all permission information. Every night I `tar cfj` the directories using the format: DAY-MONTH-YEAR.<directory name>.tar.bz2. I only backup week day data. I then run find to get all the tar.bz2 files older than x days ( 21 days in my case ).

If this is something you'd be interested in, let me know. I use two servers, but this could just as easily be adapted to a single server solution. Provided you had a sufficiently capable scripting language available, rsync and a compression program.

see the thing is, its not for me.. so i cant monitor it, its for clients.. i want it to auto backup and auto delete

i figured out by using

x:\backup\%date% it makes a new folder with the current date, so that part is taken care of. Now i just need something that deletes old files/folders.. which would most likely require a proprietary software... which i wanna avoid

todlerix said:
see the thing is, its not for me.. so i cant monitor it, its for clients.. i want it to auto backup and delete

i figured out by using

x:\backup\%date% it makes a new folder with the current date, so that part is taken care of. Now i just need something that deletes old files/folders.. which would most likely require a proprietary software... which i wanna avoid
If you know any VB you could likely code this in a few minutes. Which is why you won't find any software that does strictly this.

if i knew how to, i woulda just made it in the first place

thats why im here

todlerix said:
if i knew how to, i woulda just made it in the first place

thats why im here
There are tutorials out there, I'm sure, where you could learn how. I don't know VB myself, otherwise I'd code it up for you.

This should be a fairly simple script to code.

Back