Need a 27 inch monitor for gaming

loki993

n00b
I've been looking at monitors for a bit now trying to narrow down the right one for the money I want to spend. I can get decent IPS monitors for around 300 and some VAs for even less. Two VA monitors that I have been looking at are Asus VN279Q and the BenQ EW2740L. These seem to be the 2 best rated VA monitors out there right now, aside from far more expensive models from say Eizo.

This will be for gaming so that needs to be taken into account but for all intents and purposes these seem to be as fast as you can get for a VA panel. Obviously though they will have some ghosting, but I don't know if it comparable to an IPS or not.

I like the idea of the very high contrast ratios you can get with VA monitors, but I don't know if the colors can match IPS. Some say yes and some say no.

The Asus seems that is has an issue with blacks, for VA is very odd. However it seems that this may actually be an issue with Nvidia drivers not using the full color range over HDMI and is fixed with a registry edit until they address it in a driver update. Some say this works some say it doesn't. It is also really cheap right now about 200.

As for the BenQ Im not really sure....I think the actual panel is not quite as fast as the Asus and it has a bit more ghosting is some areas. Some red trails and other ghosting or overshoot issues has been noted in reviews but I cant tell if its any better on the Asus, but its a hundred bucks more.

​Also I'm not sure how all this compares to what an IPS can offer.

Ive looked at a few IPS monitors Asus MX279H or the Samsung S27C570H..the have decent response times and good input lag. Other than that Im not too sure whats out there.

I'm just looking for some recommendation and some opinions on VA vs IPS as well. IF there are other monitors out there I'm primarily looks at 1080p and 27 inches. I have a GTX 770 and Im somewhat concerned about getting satisfactory framerates going to 1440p and for what I can spend it would have to be a Korean monitor, which Im also not sure about.

Same boat.

I have a Korean 1440 and am looking for a second screen. I had a 2nd Korean, but I got ripped off $500 so I'm purchasing domestic from now on and figured a good 27 1080 screen would suffice.

I was looking at some of the AOC screens myself

IF there are other monitors out there I'm primarily looks at 1080p and 27 inches. I have a GTX 770 and Im somewhat concerned about getting satisfactory framerates going to 1440p and for what I can spend it would have to be a Korean monitor, which Im also not sure about.

I just bought a Korean PLS 27" to go with my GTX770. +50 Core + 250 Memory and I can tell you that because it's 1440 I was able to turn AA way down without much notice and with everything set at a healthy mix of Ultra and High was getting 90FPS in BF4. I haven't run FRAPS in AC4 yet but the PLS panel looks amazing compared to my VS236H!

I bought an X-Star from dream-seller. Not a single bad pixel and no backlight bleed!

Same boat.

I have a Korean 1440 and am looking for a second screen. I had a 2nd Korean, but I got ripped off $500 so I'm purchasing domestic from now on and figured a good 27 1080 screen would suffice.

I was looking at some of the AOC screens myself

Howd you get ripped of?

I just bought a Korean PLS 27" to go with my GTX770. +50 Core + 250 Memory and I can tell you that because it's 1440 I was able to turn AA way down without much notice and with everything set at a healthy mix of Ultra and High was getting 90FPS in BF4. I haven't run FRAPS in AC4 yet but the PLS panel looks amazing compared to my VS236H!

I bought an X-Star from dream-seller. Not a single bad pixel and no backlight bleed!

Thats pretty high.....Benchmarks Ive seen were a fair bit lower than that though, maybe not for BF4 though. In the ones I see sometime it has trouble getting over 60 at 1440p with everything at ultra. turning off AA seemed to help a bit but still the 770 seemed to be getting better FPS at 1080 even with AA on. Though for benckmarks they user very demanding games.

Thats pretty high.....Benchmarks Ive seen were a fair bit lower than that though, maybe not for BF4 though. In the ones I see sometime it has trouble getting over 60 at 1440p with everything at ultra. turning off AA seemed to help a bit but still the 770 seemed to be getting better FPS at 1080 even with AA on. Though for benckmarks they user very demanding games.

Yeah I am using a mix of High and Ultra with SSAO. I'll screenshot my settings once I get home for your reference. Going 1440 and scaling back settings vs 1080p Ultra is definitely a tradeoff, but it is one I am glad I did.

I'd be waiting for the 27" 1080p Benq Gsync XL2720G, if I have the specs right.

Though I have no issues waiting as the current monitor Im using works fine, What concerns me about that monitor is first the price...and secondly looks like its a TN panel. Now that doesn't cause me to dismiss it right off but I am wary about the colors..the real issue is the price though...considering Benqs current gaming monitor offerings are 400 dollars at 24 inches I really cant see this one being in my price range when it does come out.

Howd you get ripped of?

screen died after a month. ebay protection plan, despite being inside the 45 day window, is a joke and did nothing. seller agreed to repair/replace if i sent it back, he would also refund the return shipping. $150 to send it back for repair, he mails it back, never even opened the box, screen doa. again, paypal protection is a farce. Seller told me the screen was perfect and to fuck off. I msged him on ebay for months, emailed etc. nothing. sellers can block buyers, so if i try to contact him, i get kicked from ebay for life.
despite having emails, msgs and screen caps where he agrees to replace the screen, and refund the shippings costs, i have learned that paypal protection is a flip of the coin.
$330 screen
$150 return shipping
2x $40 custom fees
Red-Cap was the seller.

i posted my story in a number of places. I still to this day have people email me saying they are in the exact same situation with the same guy.

Red-Cap was the seller.

i posted my story in a number of places. I still to this day have people email me saying they are in the exact same situation with the same guy.

Thanks for the warning.

Paypal screwed me. I sold an item, and the buyer claimed that his credit card was stolen - so, told me I had to pay to have it refunded PLUS a penalty fee.

This all, despite my sending in a screenshot showing that the buyer told me he already used what I sent him.

Also, that buyer bought more of the same item type from other people, and I knew one of the other sellers. I asked the seller, and he didn't get scammed in the same way.

That ebay buyer's account is still active.

Paypal is evil.

screen died after a month. ebay protection plan, despite being inside the 45 day window, is a joke and did nothing. seller agreed to repair/replace if i sent it back, he would also refund the return shipping. $150 to send it back for repair, he mails it back, never even opened the box, screen doa. again, paypal protection is a farce. Seller told me the screen was perfect and to fuck off. I msged him on ebay for months, emailed etc. nothing. sellers can block buyers, so if i try to contact him, i get kicked from ebay for life.
despite having emails, msgs and screen caps where he agrees to replace the screen, and refund the shippings costs, i have learned that paypal protection is a flip of the coin.
$330 screen
$150 return shipping
2x $40 custom fees
Red-Cap was the seller.

Did you get Square Trade warranty?

$330 screen
$150 return shipping
2x $40 custom fees
Red-Cap was the seller.

You got charged customs? I did not get charged that for an order into the US from dreamseller, is it random or are you in a different country?

Did you get Square Trade warranty?
Square trade didnt come along until just after the koreans hit the market. I had a guy contact me from OCN a few months back and red-cap screwed him despite having square trade.
You got charged customs? I did not get charged that for an order into the US from dreamseller, is it random or are you in a different country?

Canada

I'm with you, OP! :)
here's my recommendation. I like a 27" at 1080p just fine. And I say screw it lets both piss all the kiddies off with their eagle-eyes. Let's go 28". Free shipping both ways if you sign up for Premier trial at NE: ASUS VN289Q Black 28" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight Tilt adjustable LCD Monitor w/ Eye-Care Function

Display
Screen Size
28"
LED Backlight
Yes
Widescreen
Yes
Recommended Resolution
1920 x 1080
Viewing Angle
178°(H) / 178°(V)
Pixel Pitch
0.32mm
Display Colors
16.7 Million
Brightness
300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio
ASCR 80000000:1 (3000:1)
Response Time
5ms (GTG)
Panel
VA

Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility
Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors
D-Sub, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

And on your 770, because Nvidia had to make some mistakes somewhere, do NOT use display port. They fucked it up. DVI is best, imo. HDMI requires a registry hack to fix the color.

And then, this is on topic because it concerns 27" monitors and how to go about buying them:

$330 screen
$150 return shipping
2x $40 custom fees
Red-Cap was the seller.
Bastards. I feel your pain, sir. I would say on eBay with these monitors they get one shot, especially if they already gave me good feedback for instapayment. If you get a bad Korean panel and the seller wants you to pay return shipping, instantly file a claim and dispute the transaction requesting full refund, because you are going to pay shipping either way and they are already not trying to make you happy so your chances of getting a good replacement are not any better than they would be with someone else entirely. Try a different seller if you want to roll the dice again. The shipping is the reason for this behavior, if they want you to pay return shipping, they need to refund you. From personal experience as a seller I know the closer to that 45th day the buyer goes without filing the claim, the less likely they are to win. If you wait 30 days to file a claim on eBay that places a lot of weight against your claim now--almost quote from eBay case worker who closed a case over the phone in my favor where a buyer was trying to scam me on a video card they had been using for more than a month with no communication then suddenly I get a not-as-described claim.

here's my recommendation. I like a 27" at 1080p just fine. And I say screw it lets both piss all the kiddies off with their eagle-eyes. Let's go 28". Free shipping both ways if you sign up for Premier trial at NE: ASUS VN289Q Black 28" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight Tilt adjustable LCD Monitor w/ Eye-Care Function

Connectivity
Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors
D-Sub, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPortu

And on your 770, because Nvidia had to make some mistakes somewhere, do NOT use display port. They fucked it up. DVI is best, imo. HDMI requires a registry hack to fix the color.

And then, this is on topic because it concerns 27" monitors and how to go about buying them:

Bastards. I feel your pain, sir. I would say on eBay with these monitors they get one shot, especially if they already gave me good feedback for instapayment. If you get a bad Korean panel and the seller wants you to pay return shipping, instantly file a claim and dispute the transaction requesting full refund, because you are going to pay shipping either way and they are already not trying to make you happy so your chances of getting a good replacement are not any better than they would be with someone else entirely. Try a different seller if you want to roll the dice again. The shipping is the reason for this behavior, if they want you to pay return shipping, they need to refund you. From personal experience as a seller I know the closer to that 45th day the buyer goes without filing the claim, the less likely they are to win. If you wait 30 days to file a claim on eBay that places a lot of weight against your claim now--almost quote from eBay case worker who closed a case over the phone in my favor where a buyer was trying to scam me on a video card they had been using for more than a month with no communication then suddenly I get a not-as-described claim.

I filed the claim right away. In the claim he agreed to replace or repair, when he didn't, I escalated it and PayPal sided with him. Iron clad case. He agreed, and didn't, and PayPal ruled in his favour. Once it's closed, it's done. No explanation, no recourse. Its like someone flipped a coin.

Connectivity
Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors
D-Sub, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

This. So much this.

And if you want to get an even bigger screen, just look for a TV...Latest Sony's are excellent for playing thanks to their very low input lag.

imo 27" in 1080p is a waste, to much acreage for the resolution. either go 1440p for a 27", or 1080p in a 24". from what i've read gamers have had quite a bit of success with Qnix's 27 2560x1440 pixel perfect model. last i looked it was around $350.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on an AOC Q2770PQU. Will see if I can one-shot a perfect pixel unit from Newegg. It's around $600 and pretty comparable to the Benq BL2710PT lag wise, with a PLS panel like the Qnix instead of AHVA. Getting pretty good reviews.

I don't have any suggestions for 27 inches, but I have a 29 inches and a 24 inches to recommend.
BenQ XL2420TX supports 3D gaming. http://www.benq.com/product/LCD/XL2420TX
Dell UltraSharp U2913WM is "Notably higher resolution". http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-UltraSharp-U2913WM-0CX7K/dp/B00BIBB1KI

I recommend them because my friend is considering between them. He saw some reviews and these two are the best monitors for gaming.
You can also check the comparison of them: http://versus.com/en/dell-ultrasharp-u2913wm-vs-benq-xl2420tx

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
imo 27" in 1080p is a waste, to much acreage for the resolution. either go 1440p for a 27", or 1080p in a 24". from what i've read gamers have had quite a bit of success with Qnix's 27 2560x1440 pixel perfect model. last i looked it was around $350.

I second this.

I had on my desk P2714H, P2414H and now U2713HM.
The P27 was eventually returned due to the low resolution. It was OKish for gaming, though I prefer higher dpi / smaller GUIs.

I'm wearing glasses and even without them I could see the pixel pitch from 1 meter away.

Back