Need a 2.1 system for laptop/PC. Music will be the main use

Dankex

n00b
Hello everyone!

I was googling around for 2.1 speaker systems and i found out this great forum. I did read a lot of topic already, but none has the answer to my needs, so i decided to create this one. :)

So, i was looking for something bellow 200$ and, if possible, with iPod dock (doesn't really need to have it, but would be a nice addition).
As i couldn't find good PC 2.1 speakers with the dock (or at least google did not provide me that much good feedback), i started to look into these:

Audioengine 2
Edifier S330D
M-Audio Studiophile AV 40

I assume you have other best options, so could you please point me out a few? :)

The laptop is a bit old, but i have an external USB sound card: X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity from Creative.

Help me to play my tracks freaking loud and clear! :D
Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Dankex,

I'm also looking for exactly this kind of set up. Though, I would prefer to have a subwoofer with two decent satellites.

I've been using the Altec Lansing 251 for a LONG time: http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/altec-lansing-251-5/1707-3179_7-20313457.html
But the speakers are analog and give hiss :(

I was looking over at head-fi for some suggestions and found this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/543525/pc-speakers-suggestions

There is a post by DeftInOneEar with some interesting combination. I wouldn't mind buying a set up like that, but I have NO idea about the bits and pieces or if there are newer options.(that thread was back in March)

I'm currently running audio from my PS3/360 via HDMI and PC via D-Port to my Dell U3011 and then using the 3.5mm jack to output to speakers.(convenience to swap display source and grab audio along with it) I just want a 2.1 set up with no hiss at high volume.

Don't mean to thread jack, but it seems what I'm aiming for is also what you're aiming for.

Hey, DuyNgn! Thanks for the reply. :)

First of all, its ok - the more opinions/feedback the better. I followed up that link and it looks nice. A 2.1 + external amp seems to make sense. Any recommendation for a setup like this for ~150$, people?

@Procyon12, Yes, sometimes. As i said, an iPod dock woud be great just to fire up some tunes without the PC turned on (or when i take the setup for a friend's party, for example with my iPod or HD disk if it has USB connection).

Thanks again for the replies. Keep them coming. :)

Hey guys,

I have been doing a bit more research for 2.1 set ups and found that Swan has two very nice products. The M10($117) and the M50W($279). I have been reading reviews on both and they have all been very well received.

You can find various reviews for the M10 just by googling "Swan M10 review". Mostly positive and well received.
Here's a well written review of the M50W from a head-fi forum member:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/568149/some-impressions-of-the-swan-m50w

Apparently, these sets are known amongst [H] members:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1616308

I was going to order the M10, but didn't want any buyer's remorse, so I sprang for the M50W.
Total came out to be: $279.00 + $19.29(s/h) = $298.29

Here's hope it will last me a LONG time for that price.

@DuyNgn, i googled those setups and they seem to be pretty good. The M50W one is too expensive for me, unfortunately. But the M10 is looking good. The only problem is that it seems they do not ship to Portugal and i haven't found a reseller that does so, yet. I will google a bit more. Congrats for your M50W purchase. ;)

@Procyon12, Although i was starting to be interested in a 2.0 speakers + a small amp, i think i do prefer a clean 2.1 system. I don't understand that much about audio set ups, and those you posted are way expensive for the kind of setup i want. But thanks a lot! :)

I will now google for the M10...

I would not suggest the M10. I had a set and one channel of the internal amp died within 2 months.
I would pass on that set.

I was in the same boat. Needed to hook up my pc, laptop, ipod and a ps3 to a set of speakers. I didn't want to have to unplug or plug anything in when I wanted to switch devices. I was looking at AV40's / Behringer MS40's and Klipsch Promedia's. I decided I wanted a sub output and controls on the face. I ended up getting these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/cakewalk-ma-15d-digital-stereo-micro-monitor-pair

Powered mini Monitors. Has an optical in, Coaxial, 1.8mm input, RCA input (Comes with adapter to convert to 1.8mm) and a sub out. They sound very good and I don't have to fuss with wires. I highly recommend them. And they look amazing. They are the exact same thing as the Behringer's but have a sub output.

That Cakewalk is an elegant solution. I have not seen something decent like that under $200 before. It would only be good for desktop stereo aka near field. Still, a dac and a sub out. Nice starting point for a mini 2.1.

go for the klipsch promedias. basssss. Il take them any day over ANY bookshelf size speaker w/o a sub. Even, say, a pair of genelec 8020b's. Without the bottom, music has no soul.

All that and a free t shirt.
A13X, why would you run bookshelf speakers without a sub? Comparing bookshelf speakers to multi media set with a boomy sub.......

I was in the same boat. Needed to hook up my pc, laptop, ipod and a ps3 to a set of speakers. I didn't want to have to unplug or plug anything in when I wanted to switch devices. I was looking at AV40's / Behringer MS40's and Klipsch Promedia's. I decided I wanted a sub output and controls on the face. I ended up getting these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/cakewalk-ma-15d-digital-stereo-micro-monitor-pair

Powered mini Monitors. Has an optical in, Coaxial, 1.8mm input, RCA input (Comes with adapter to convert to 1.8mm) and a sub out. They sound very good and I don't have to fuss with wires. I highly recommend them. And they look amazing. They are the exact same thing as the Behringer's but have a sub output.

That Cakewalk is an elegant solution. I have not seen something decent like that under $200 before. It would only be good for desktop stereo aka near field. Still, a dac and a sub out. Nice starting point for a mini 2.1.

Those Cakewalk look really good, but i can't seem to find any way to ship them to Portugal without paying a very large fee. :( That was a really nice setup...

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 may fail with its price and not having the DAC + the sub output...

Any other alternative but similar to the Cakewalk setup? Damn, now that i found that beauty, i'm so sad... --'
The best option for Portugal still seems to be the Edifier Multimedia S330D... Should i go with these? They do have Digital Optical input and a sub...

Last edited:
@Vengance_01, yeah, i started googling and i can see they are not that good for music. For gammimg they do rock, though. Any alternative then? What about the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 ? My problem is that i don't have much offers in Portugal...

The M-Audio AV40 is pretty good, but bass is lacking IMO. I picked up a set at my local Frys and while I like its clarity, it just doesn't have the same oomph in bass that I expect while watching movies.

Thanks, DuyNgn. I've read a lot now, and i can see the Edifier Multimedia S330D are pretty good... I guess i'll be them here in Portugal, at a local store, in a few days...

EDIT: No more recommendations before buying?
EDIT 2: Just downloaded their .pdf manual and there is a note that this siystem does not reproduce AC3 when using optical digital in. What the h??! Is this normal?!

Last edited:
Not for music
Not sure if serious...

My set sounds excellent, it pretty much excels in every range. I did upgrade the mid range drivers, however before I did that they sounded perfectly fine. The only reason I even upgraded was because one of the original drivers blew.
The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 may fail with its price and not having the DAC + the sub output...
Why do you need a DAC in the speakers? Also, yeah there's no external sub output, but it sounds damn fine as it is :p

IMO the Klipsch's are the best all-in-one 2.1 set you can find, however if you want to spend a bit more on a modular set you can do better, like some people have already suggested.

EDIT: Something you should consider as well is the Klipsch set has a better frequency response and more power than the Edifier set, as well as 5% THD on the satellites where the Edifiers have 10%. It's cheaper too ;)

Last edited:
Hm, i've always think the Digital Inputs on the Edifier were a plus, but i can see it is a total let down if it doesn't play AC3 (main movies i watch)... I don't even ask about DTS because the answer is pretty obvious, i think.

Klipsch's...hm...should i get these one instead? They do have excellent feedback... Also, i do have the external sound usb sound card X-Fi Extreme Fidelity from Creative - i can always use that usb external card to boost up the audio coming out of my MacBook analog audio out...

I found a deal on the CAKEWALK MA-15DBK (169€shipping to portugal from thomann.de).
Is it a better deal then the Edifier 2.1? Do these Cakewalk play AC3 sound?

The Cakewalk's are interesting. I wonder if there are any B&M's that have them for demo.

Klipsch's...hm...should i get these one instead? They do have excellent feedback... Also, i do have the external sound usb sound card X-Fi Extreme Fidelity from Creative - i can always use that usb external card to boost up the audio coming out of my MacBook analog audio out...
The sound card would power the speakers just fine, IMO there's no downside to sticking analog (it has to be converted back anyway even with digital.)
I found a deal on the CAKEWALK MA-15DBK (169€shipping to portugal from thomann.de).
Is it a better deal then the Edifier 2.1? Do these Cakewalk play AC3 sound?
Those look like a very nice set, the only thing is you'll have to get a standalone subwoofer to get full bass. I'm not sure about the whole AC3 thing, I would assume your sound card would handle the decoding though.

that would be correct, the Playback software will decode it into a 2channel LPCM and then pass it along to the sound card.

Thanks for all the replies.

First of all, thanks spaceman, but i can't really afford anything above 200$ right now. That looks like a pretty cool setup though.

About the AC3: i just said it, because, when you use the digital input, they do not work in the Edifier. I've seen this happening in other set ups too. But i don't really care for the digital now - i've been reading some stuff now, and a good soundcard + a good set up will do the trick just fine. I don't even have a 5.1 set up, so... Oh, and as i'm using my Xmod from Creative, the audio coming out from the laptop or PC will be from USB.

I'm really confused now. As i keep researching, i find out that the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 would be the wiser setup to go with - but the only way to buy them in Portugal has gone...the claimed German supplier says that model is now unavailable. I wonder if it is because they are a bit old now...

So, one more question - and i'm sorry, i know i'm being a pain, but you understand that i want to make a good purchase and i want a set up that would last for years: should i choose a newer model from Klipsch? Is there any other as great as the Promedia 2.1 but newer? Because if there is, i can ask the Portuguese store if their German supplier can ship them.

So, in short: Cakewalk are interesting, but i don't have the $ for the external sub. I know i could purchase the two things separately, but i prefer to spend 200$ only on a setup. Edifier seems to be great: whole package (2.1 system) with great reviews and i can purchase them here at Portugal. Klipsch are great and the price is too, but it is really hard to get them in Europe...
Lets see if Klipsch has another great model to go with!

Too be honest 2 speakers (or more) and an external amp is always going to be your best bet for sound quality. There just really is no comparison between pc speakers and even a cheap but good shelf or floor system. The main problem is it will most certainly be above your $150 budget. You're looking at probably $225-$250 minimum after shipping etc for a cheap little setup.

So that leaves you with a 2.1 pc setup. With a budget of $150 the only two setups I can recommend are the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (which I use) or maybe Logitech Z623.

You can regularly find both of these models in the States online for sale for less than $150. Not sure what the shipping cost would be where you are. Also... I'm not sure how you feel about refurbished items or if they even ship Portugal, but you may want to check Cowboom .com for a refurbished Klipsch Promedia setup. They are regulary found on there for under $100. A good friend of mine ordered a set for himself and his girlfriend from that site and they have functioned perfectly.

Thanks for the reply.

I can spend 200$ in the setup, but as i don't have many options in Portugal, at least 50$ of those 200$ will be for shipping costs. And with that i can't get the 2 speakers + the external amp. But i don't know...i might pay for the 2 speakers right now and the amp later...

And while i was writing this, i found the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 in the Canadian Amazon: price + shipping costs = 202$ :) The problem is that it takes in averages 14-28 weeks to deliver, according to Amazon. But above it says "Estimated delivery: Dec 1 2011 - Dec 22 2011"... Hm...

And i've changed my budget to 250$, but i can't really get 2 speakers + external amp for that price, do i? I'm really glad i found these Klipsch...

I know it really all comes down to shipping.... But I really feel like with a budget of $250 you should be able to find a pretty nice little speaker/external amp setup. It would break my heart a little for you to have to pay $200 for a 2.1 pc setup even if it is the Klipsch set. There are so many great companies out there, that at least some have to have reasonable shipping to portugal. I know JBL/Harmon/Infinity/AKG have branch there.

Yes, i understand that. We do have some resellers and those speakers can be found in hi-fi local stores (i suppose). We have M-Audio too.
Its late now and i'm tired, but tomorrow i will look for a pair of speakers and an external amp - if they are not that expensive and can be found in Portugal, then i'll go with it; otherwise, i'll go with the Klipsch 2.1 PC speakers.

They will be used in a small bedroom, though, but there is only the chance to use them in other bigger places (i guess these new speakers will be better then my ~ 10 year old 5.1 home cinema i have in the living room eheh).

Thanks for all the help, again! I will look for those already talked alternatives (the mentioned 2 speakers + external amp mentioned by members) here at Portugal in the upcoming days.

Good luck with your hunt! While speakers and an external amp will undoubtedly have higher sound quality... the Klipsch Promedia's are no slouch. I think you're going to be pretty satisfied whichever route you go. :)

I use my Cakewalk MA-15D's without a sub. They have plenty of bass till I get around to buying a sub. Give em a try till you save enough money for a sub, or maybe wont need one...

I use my Cakewalk MA-15D's without a sub. They have plenty of bass till I get around to buying a sub. Give em a try till you save enough money for a sub, or maybe wont need one...
I think this is a good option if he can't find a Klipsch set for a reasonable price. I'm kinda tempted to get a pair myself... :p

I can get the Cakewalk shipped to Portugal for 200$ too.

Well, and i got a new idea :p
My parents have an old audio setup (vinyl, 2 speakers, cd player, cassete player radio…all that) from Pioneer. They do not use it anymore, but the speakers are powerfull! It is in my bedroom now as i sometimes like to listen to some old vynils and also, as i don't have speakers on my current laptop, i use them to listen the music coming out of my Mac (when using the external USB sound card the sound is actually pretty good). The thing is: wouldn't it be wise to get the cakewalk to my sister's bedroom and then get my self an amp to use with these 2 old speakers i have? This way, we would both win and i would have a pretty good sound system to use when throwing out some parties in bigger places, right?
I don't have the Pioneer's model right now because I'm not at home, but i will take a look at them later and will then post here. The speakers are huge and i would like to keep them for a few more years :) I really think a pretty good external amp would improve the overhaul system offering me a good audio solution and my sister's too with the Cakewalk (she could use my external amp in the Cakewalk when playing guitar too). Its a great combo, right?
I also believe this set (my 2 old big speakers + amp) would definitely offer great audio quality for movies.

Ok, so the Amp is "RX-Z45" - no manual and couldn't find a .pdf online. All i could find was:
- For the RX-Z45: 2 * 20W DIN at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz and 1% THD. It is also written 2 * 30W RMS not otherwise specified
and it seems to be from 1993.

The speakers are "S-Z35D" and all i can see is:
Maximum power: 40W
Impedance: 6ohms

Measurements:
Length: 45cm
Width: 26cm
Depth: 17cm

I guess the amp is pretty shitty, right? 1%THD… Should i get myself an amp and use it with these speakers + the Cakewalk to my sis? Is the Cakewalk alone (no external amp) better then Klipsch Promedia 2.1? I keep reading that those Klipsch are indeed pretty awesome.

Reporting back here just an FYI.

I just received my M50W today and I'm very impressed. $300 well spent IMO.
I've been using the AV40 for a week now. The AV40 simply doesn't compare.
True that the AV40 is half price, but I feel the quality is worth the wait to save more money.

I'm keeping these M50W for sure and returning the AV40!

Good luck with your purchase.

I guess i'm going with the Cakewalk too. :) I'll just contact the german dealer and ask him about the warranty...

I'll see how good they are - if my sisters wants to start recording her guitar things, i'll think of adding a sub to it later.

Back