Need a 16 port Gigabit Switch with POE

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I'm about to move to a new home, planning on doing a new network from scratch, it will have 6 PCs (desktop, downloading pc, server, HTPC, and 2x laptops), and to have a small Synology Diskstation mainly for managing and recording 8x POE 3mega pixel cameras, the routers and cable model is supplied by ISP, but its a 10/100 router, works pretty good, but its slow and only 4 connections.

So im trying to search for the perfect switch to go with the supplied router, i need at least 8 POE ports (the cameras consume a 5 to 15W), i also need at 4 ports for the PC (laptops will be on wifi), and another port to connect the router and another for the wifi access point, so thats 6 more, maybe ill add another access point depending on how things goes with the coverage but at least i need 14 ports, so a 16 port with 8 POE would be an ideal switch for me, wouldn't mind to go with twin 8 ports, but my router is 10/100 and will be doing the DHCP, so i want to avoid transferring data through it to avoid the bottleneck of the 10/100 network.

There is no set budget, would prefer if its below $500, but willing to go higher if it will be more reliable,faster, cooler running, easier to maintain, etc. Some switches that im staring to consider are the following,

Buffalo 16-Port Rackmount Gigabit 802.3at PoE Web Managed Switch (BSL-PS-G2116M)
TRENDnet 16-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE+ Switch (TPE-1620WS)
BV-Tech 16 Port 250W Gigabit (1000Mbps) Power over Ethernet (PoE) Network Switch
Intellinet 16-Port PoE Web-Managed Gigabit Ethernet Switch (560535)
ZyXEL GS1910-24HP
Netgear ProSAFE 24-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PoE and 4 SFP Ports (GS728TP-100NAS)
Refurbished Nortel 5520 24-Port Gigabit POE Switch Nortel 5520-24T-PWR Ethernet Routing Switch - 24 x 10/100/1000Base-T

Please let me know what you think would be the best route, or if you have any suggestions, or another switch that i should consider, really looking for some guidance, never really have gone into this expensive switches, been more of 5/8 port consumer based switches that i been happy till now.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
IF you're not cramped for space (can spare 1U) I can't say enough good things about the PowerDsine Midpspans. I run 27 of them, they've all been 100% uptime since 2005 when our phone system was installed.

Went with them at the time because Both HP and Cisco weren't "recommended" to run Mitel phones. Last year I installed my first HP PoE switch on the phone network, and it died 25 days later. An out of town contractor installed Linksys PoE switches and they've been replaced at least once a year since.

IF you don't mind buying used, you can certainly pick up an 8 or 16 port mid-span for under $200, and a very decent 24-port managed switch with the remaining $300.

Thanks for all the replies,

http://www.systime.com/product-p/net-nort-ref-al1001a06.htm

dunno how many times i've pasted that in the last month

it's a no brainer...
Thanks for the link this seems interesting and very appealing, a $4k switch for $140 for being refurnished? im i getting it right or is it a lease? any catch beside being refurnished?

IF you're not cramped for space (can spare 1U) I can't say enough good things about the PowerDsine Midpspans. I run 27 of them, they've all been 100% uptime since 2005 when our phone system was installed.

Went with them at the time because Both HP and Cisco weren't "recommended" to run Mitel phones. Last year I installed my first HP PoE switch on the phone network, and it died 25 days later. An out of town contractor installed Linksys PoE switches and they've been replaced at least once a year since.

IF you don't mind buying used, you can certainly pick up an 8 or 16 port mid-span for under $200, and a very decent 24-port managed switch with the remaining $300.
I do have the space, but i would prefer to ocupy the least, not sure how things are going to turn out after exapnding, also i dont have a rack atm, so they are going to laying on a desk... maybe ill get a rack idk yet, but more hardware is less appealing atm. I did read on them, seems very nice switches.

This i dont think it will work out, seems like dual 8x switches, exactly what im trying to avoid, i want one switch that runs the 16 ports.

I'd give the Buffalo a second look and perhaps http://www.flyteccomputers.com/details.cfm?wid=2099&wb=GS1910-24HP&wre=1
I have the non POE version and very happy with its performance, dl manual and spec sheet of Zyxels webpage and you'll probably most of your questions answered.
//Danne
Buffalo is not unknow for me, i did had a old router with tomato and work pretty well, i do feel like the are on the lower end... idk maybe its just my missconception of the brand, i dont see as much products from them as i see netgear, cisco, hp, etc, but not out of the poll yet, i like the space it takes and the design, and still a strong contender on the price, im also adding the ZyXEL GS1910-24HP to the list as it doesnt reach the $500 budget mark and with this also opens other 24 ports switches like the Netgear ProSAFE 24-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with PoE and 4 SFP Ports (GS728TP-100NAS).

So many options and i really dont have much knowledge into this higher end switches, i always been a 5/8 port unmanaged switch guy.... reading isnt helping much either, but still trying to.

Do you need a managed switch or is that a consequence for searching for a 24-port PoE gigabit switch?

Do you need a managed switch or is that a consequence for searching for a 24-port PoE gigabit switch?
I dont need it to be managed, if it was like the consumer 8 ports unmanaged switches but on 16 ports + 8 on POE that would be good enough for me, but most of the 16/24/48 switches come web managed.

Last edited:
Edit: Linksys does make an unmanaged 16-port Gigabit switch with 8-PoE+ ports: http://www.provantage.com/linksys-lgs116p~7LNKN01W.htm
Thanks for the link, and but im going to pass on this linksys, not sure if it can drive all the cameras on POE, spec wise dont seem that hot either, i prefer your other suggestion.

They do make multiport PoE injectors: http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-passive-Ethernet-Injector-cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM/

Combination of that and an unmanaged 16-port Gigabit switch could save you some money.
Thanks for the injector link, this opens almost any consumer switch out there, i kinda think 60W is a little low side for 8 cameras, according to the manufacturer they consume between 5-15W (15W on night vision as a peak, but that would be 120W with all peaking that its not likely but i just dont feel safe with half of that), from the same manufacturer there is a 120W version of it on amazon, so i think im set there.

Now to the unmanaged switch, i still don't have a rack and unless really necessary im not planning on getting one, so im thinking on D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch (DGS-1016A), there is even a 24 port version for $10 more... that might be worth it in case more camares are installed, although highly unlikely that i go with more in the short term. The best thing on this beside saving money is that both injector and the switch are going to be fanless, so more confidence into placing it on my computer room =) (got a little scared hearing some of those POE switches on youtube, like jet screemers).

I could also go into a wall mounted consumer switch in case you guys dont think dlink is worth it, maybe like TP-LINK TL-SG1016 or HP Procurve 1410-16G Switch (J9560A)

Thanks again for all the suggestions,

Last edited:
I could also go into a wall mounted consumer switch in case you guys dont think dlink is worth it, maybe like TP-LINK TL-SG1016 or HP Procurve 1410-16G Switch (J9560A)

Hi, Abula

TP-LINK TL-SG1016 has no PoE ports.

See:
TP-Link TL-SG2424P - 24-Port Gigabit Smart PoE Switch
http://tplink-manuals.org/tplink-tl-sg2424p-datasheet-v1/1/

TP-Link TL-SG3424P - 24-Port Gigabit L2 Managed PoE
http://tplink-manuals.org/tplink-tl-sg3424p-datasheet-v1/1/

TP-Link TL-SG1008PE - 8-Port Gigabit Desktop/Rackmount Switch with 8-Port PoE
http://tplink-manuals.org/tplink-tl-sg1008pe-datasheet-v1/1/

D-Link DGS-1100-08P - EasySmart 8-Port Gigabit PoE Switch
D-Link DGS-1210-10P - 10-Port PoE Gigabit WebSmart Switch
D-Link DGS-1210-28P - 28 Port PoE Gigabit Smart Switch including 4 Gigabit SFP ports
D-Link DGS-1500-28P - 24-Port PoE Gigabit SmartPro Switch with 4 SFP Ports

I like D-Link over TP-Link: less bugs, better support.

Thanks all for your replies,

Found a decent offer for the HP Procurve 1410-24G Switch (J9561a), ended like $152, and kinda felt the 16 port would end up tight on the short term, i really don't needed all the goods that the manage switches came with, its more a house setup than a business, also i really dislike the small fans, and most seem to come with those, not a big deal i was going to mod the top to add some slow rpms fans, but the HP is fanless, and has a very good rep with the lifetime warranty, so went with it + the 8 port injector, kinda also prefer this as if something goes bad, i can replace each separated, and at the end is playing better, going to add 3 Ubiquiti AP Long range access points, so ill be around 18 ports.

If the HP doesn't work out, ill try the Zyxel 25 port POE, that's the one that kinda liked the most out of the managed, but its almost twice as much as i spent.

I really appreciate all your time you guys invested on the thread with your comments and suggestion, hope everything works out.

make sure if you are using unifi, you get the right injector, or the voltage adapter (that takes 802.3af and knocks it down to 24v). The older unifi is 24v (base unifi and LR models I think), newer (pro, AC models) is 802.3af -48v. Injectors aren't as smart as switches, they don't check for that kind of thing.

make sure if you are using unifi, you get the right injector, or the voltage adapter (that takes 802.3af and knocks it down to 24v). The older unifi is 24v (base unifi and LR models I think), newer (pro, AC models) is 802.3af -48v. Injectors aren't as smart as switches, they don't check for that kind of thing.
Thanks for the info/warning, i read something similar last week, about ubiquiti not working with some POE switches.

Im testing an Ubiquiti UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System Long Range atm on my old home to test range and stability, but this thing is impressive, reaches like 40% more than dlink access point and very stable for a day now =).

I think, the 8 port injector will be only for the IP cameras, im going to use the injectors that Ubiquiti includes on the box, thats how its running now and been great so far. But im wondering how long will it be safe in terms of range, like if i place where the switch is, some runs will be above 25mts, so idk if the voltage will sustain or drop, or maybe would be better to use the injector right beside the Ubiquiti AP (i would prefer not as it would end up needing an outlet close by thus restricting a lot where i can put it).

You shouldn't have any problems running it near the switch, I have several that are probably around 50-60m from the injector. If you do have an issue, you can use the 48v injector, and get the unifi instant adapter that plugs in just before the AP and drops the voltage to 24v, that would take care of any issue with voltage loss.

The instant adapter is all passive, so it doesn't need a plug either.

Back