Need 8GB of memory: 4x2GB or 2x4GB?

havokator

Limp Gawd
If I want to run 8gb of RAM, would it be faster to run 4x2gb of DDR3-1600-C7, or 2x4gb of DDR3-1600-C8 for the same price?

Would the smaller 2gb sticks with lower latency be faster even if I am using 4 of them? (2 of the 2x2gb kits)

Example would be 2 of the following 2x2gb CL7 kits for a total of 8GB for $130:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231430
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321

Versus a single 2x4gb CL8 kit for $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

Both setups are the same price, but one is CL7 and one is CL8.
Does running 4 sticks of RAM have any negative impact on performance or latency allowed? This will be on a P8P67 motherboard. Thanks for the help.

I doubt you will see any noticable different between those sets. If it were me, I'd get the 2x4 instead of 4x2, even though the 2x2 kits are lower voltage and faster by one clock. My reason would be for potential future upgrades and would also allow more space for better cooling of the sticks.

You don't need 8gb of ram. I've done it twice only becuase I bought them half price. Also, I can disable the swap file. Ram is no longer the bottle neck. Rather lack of ram becuase of cost. The two bottlenecks are video and hard drive. CL7 is better then CL8 but it would not be possible for you to notice a difference. My personal preference would be two sticks over 4. Not that they get as hot as DDR2 but you do create air flow space and it leaves an option of future expansion. Moreover, you can set and forget them in XMP mode. The real question is whether you mobo will accept 4gb x 2.

You don't need 8gb of ram. I've done it twice only becuase I bought them half price. Also, I can disable the swap file. Ram is no longer the bottle neck. Rather lack of ram becuase of cost. The two bottlenecks are video and hard drive. CL7 is better then CL8 but it would not be possible for you to notice a difference. My personal preference would be two sticks over 4. Not that they get as hot as DDR2 but you do create air flow space and it leaves an option of future expansion. Moreover, you can set and forget them in XMP mode. The real question is whether you mobo will accept 4gb x 2.

So you are saying that I will notice absolutely no difference between CL7 and CL9?

I know I don't need 8GB of RAM, but I am building a computer that I plan to use for a long time. I don't upgrade very often, so when I do, I wanna get something that will last.

Benchmark software may show a difference but you will never notice it. CL rating won't determine longevity. If you run 1600's at 1333 they will run cooler and last longer. Lifespan for me is two For some it's one as they have the need for the latest (like cell phones). You may want five years. After that it won't matter if it runs as it will be to dated for both hardware and software changes. For long term purchased today you want Sata 6 and USB 3. Intel constantly changes socket types, so don't count on being able to upgrade to a new generation CPU. Sata 6 hard drives are available now if you can't afford SSD. Video card and CPU in the $175-$275 range but don't be cheap with the mobo as that is the computer. My current fav are Asus ROG & Sabertooth but used to be Abit. Some people are gaga for gigabyte or MSI. Don't waste money on a board that can do quad SLI when you only intend on using once card. $100 on quality PSU that is bronze to platinum rated for efficiency.

So you are saying that I will notice absolutely no difference between CL7 and CL9?

I know I don't need 8GB of RAM, but I am building a computer that I plan to use for a long time. I don't upgrade very often, so when I do, I wanna get something that will last.

Generally, the difference in speed and latency impact very little on day to day performance. Gaming? You won't notice a difference. As goracer said, only synthetic benchmarks will show a difference.

And with the falling prices of ram, no reason not to get 8gb if you want it. A year ago I paid $120 for a 4gb kit, today you can get a 12gb kit for $130.

I just upgraded to 8GB (4x2GB) from 4GB. I knew I wouldn't notice a difference although I lowered my pagefile down to 1GB. Even when I heavy multitask (well, what I consider heavy multitasking for my use) I get up to maybe 3GB used.

That said, 4GB for $15 total (after rebate), how can I say no ;)

And with timings and speed, I never noticed a difference at all - only in benchmarks. The only times I bother to change timing on my Ram lately is if I want to match it to my OC. Otherwise I'll just leave them. But I do hear 2GB sticks clock much better than 4GB sticks.

If prices are equal, definitely go with 2 DIMMs over 4 DIMMs. Having only 2 DIMMs populated vs 4 will allow much greater stability and reduce stress on your memory controller when overclocking.

For example, in my overclocked i7 system, running 2 GB x 4 DIMMs at 181 BCLK required 1.33 VTT, while running 4 GB x 2 DIMMs at 181 BCLK required only 1.25 VTT.

I'm not sure if it's the same same these days but having 2 DIMM's populated instead of 4 would reduce the stress on the memory controller. I do remember some time ago i had a problem overclocking with a 4 DIMM set of ram, limiting the overclock quite a bit without serious voltage tweaking.

Or if you want to look at it logically, if you used 2 instead of 4, less would go wrong right?

Back