Need 2.0 Speaker Suggestions

CircuitsMan

Weaksauce
I've seen a few other threads recently where people were asking about 2.0/2.1 setups, but my case is a little different. I have a small TV stand (see pic) without a lot of room in it so I am strictly looking for a set of active speakers that will sit off to the side of my TV stand (no subwoofer and no receiver). My main concern, is finding a set of speakers that can compensate for the lack of a subwoofer while keeping the cost under $250. I'd also like to be able to upgrade to a 4.0 system later on but that's a little more expensive than I am looking to do right now. Like the others that have posted, I'm new to all of this so I'm looking for help and suggestions.

Also, there's no need to tell me about speaker wire as I can probably read everything I need to know in those other threads. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I forgot to mention, as a last resort I might go with a ZVOX Mini, but I have a sneaking suspicion it won't get rave reviews here. Also, the only floorstanding speakers I've found that are somewhat within my budget are Sony SS-F7000, SS-F6000, and SS-F5000.

Last edited:
I also managed to find these Pure Acoustics Junior F series speakers but the one review at Amazon has me concerned. $121.88 plus the free super saver shipping. At least the color matches my TV stand. Any comments on this one?

holy batman theres an edit button for a reason.....

anyway:
most everything you linked is passive

you either need active speakers (which means they have an amplifier built in), or you need to find an amplifier to pair with the stuff you're looking at

personally I don't much care for Sony's cheap speakers, but they probably aren't all bad, would be better than your TV's speakers, thats for sure

in terms of powered/active monitors under $250, theres plenty to pick from:
Behringer
M-Audio
Yamaha
Audioengine
Swans
Alesis
KRK
and so on

If you're not going to use a sub, you'll need floor standing speakers. A small monitor will not go low enough.

If you're not going to use a sub, you'll need floor standing speakers. A small monitor will not go low enough.

Some bookshelf speakers go quite low, 6.5"-8" woofers aren't uncommon in bookshelf speakers.

Some bookshelf speakers go quite low, 6.5"-8" woofers aren't uncommon in bookshelf speakers.

Is there an active monitor that goes below 50Hz that retails for under $250?

I'm sure he'll find something that'll suit him well.

Last edited:
Dayton BR-1 bookshelf speaker kit. 43 Hz, <$200. To me, I didn't notice a significant drop until the ~38 Hz range. You just have to solder the crossover yourself.

holy batman theres an edit button for a reason.....

Sorry, obobski. I didn't wan't to be accused of not doing my research like I was when asking about PC parts.

I'm slowly finding that you're right, persisting1. I checked most of the studio monitors that are recommended...m-audio AV40, Audioengine A2, Behringer MS40, Creative Gigaworks T40, and a few others...and none of them go below 50Hz. I may have to search the manufacturer websites again to see if there was anything I missed.

The only semi-decent looking floorstanding speakers I see are about double my price range. The two I remember checking out were the Polk Audio Monitor 70's which are $180/ea at NewEgg and the Yamaha NS-555 which are $200/ea at Amazon. NewEgg does have a Polk 70 that's been opened for $115 (link), but I don't know if they have two of them. Both only go down to 30Hz. Should I be looking for something that has a lower frequency range than this? Also, how can I tell if these speakers are powered or not? I tried searching, and I don't see any mention of them being powered/un-powered or active/passive. Would that suggest they are passive? I may have room in my TV stand for a receiver (I haven't looked at any yet), but it would have to be less than 17.5" (W) x 15" (D) x 5" (H). However, I did glance at a few prices and I think any receiver/passive combo would definitely be over my budget.

The more research I do, the more tempting that Zvox mini is beginning to look.

Last edited:
I think I answered my own question about powered vs. unpowered: Unless the speaker specifically says it is powered, assume it is not. One good way to tell is the input impedance. If low, say 6-8ohms, then it is passive. If it is high, say 10k-ohms then it is active.

So, this means that most/all of the speakers I've been looking at are passive. :( Since I don't want to spend a fortune on speakers, maybe I should be looking at soundbar-like systems like the Zvox that can fit inside my TV cabinet.

Last edited:
I think I answered my own question about powered vs. unpowered: Unless the speaker specifically says it is powered, assume it is not. One good way to tell is the input impedance. If low, say 6-8ohms, then it is passive. If it is high, say 10k-ohms then it is active.

So, this means that most/all of the speakers I've been looking at are passive. :( Since I don't want to spend a fortune on speakers, maybe I should be looking at soundbar-like systems like the Zvox that can fit inside my TV cabinet.

Honestly CircutsMan, you wont be happy with a small driver/enclosure system if you don't have a sub. I know you want everything to fit perfectly,
but the only way to move air is to do it with something that can actually push it. I know you've stated you don't want a receiver and you don't want a sub,
but is there any way we can convince you that you can achieve the sound you want and still have a small "footprint"?

Oh yeah, how large is you listening room?

Honestly CircutsMan, you wont be happy with a small driver/enclosure system if you don't have a sub. I know you want everything to fit perfectly,
but the only way to move air is to do it with something that can actually push it. I know you've stated you don't want a receiver and you don't want a sub,
but is there any way we can convince you that you can achieve the sound you want and still have a small "footprint"?

Oh yeah, how large is you listening room?

I had to look up my apartment dimensions online because I'm not at home right now. It's hard to read numbers but I think it says my living room is approximately 13' 5" x 29' 11". My TV and chair are on are on opposite 30' walls so there is maybe 8' between them. The living room is also partially open to the kitchen, but I don't think that matters. The problem isn't the floor space, but that only short items can fit in my TV stand. I could put a sub and a set of monitors off to the side of my TV stand, but I don't know if not having the sub centered is an issue (I'll have to do some research on that). Plus I don't think it is very aesthetic to have a bunch of small cubes littered across the floor. I also don't want to put holes in my walls because it' an apartment. That's why I'm checking out floorstanding speakers that could possibly do without a sub. The only problem is that most floorstanding speakers I saw were passive and cost $400+ for a pair. The only "active" ones I saw were a couple thousand.

As I said in my first post, I really don't know anything about audio and price ranges, but if I want to go the floorstanding route, I'm thinking I'd have to consider a $500 budget instead of the original $250. I do have one spot in my TV stand where very few items can fit that I could put a receiver/amplifier, but it would have to be less than 17.5" (W) x 15" (D) x 5" (H). Do they make subs that size? Maybe I could lay the sub on it's side? Is that bad idea?

I was also thinking that if I went floorstanding, and I wanted to upgrade to 4.0 later, all I woud have to do is buy two more of the same speaker. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

There's only so much research I can do and it might take me a few days to figure all of this stuff out on my own, which I am trying to do.

Last edited:
Have you considered the possibilities offered when using vintage equipment? Poking around ebay and craiglist can net you some amazing equipment for very cheap. You would lose out on some features such as optical and all of the dolby/dts/etc processing but that is a small loss. There is some outstanding equipment out there for a good price if you are willing to explore this route.

You aren't going to find a worthwhile sub with those dimensions. There are some subs built for going underneath car seats. They are not an acceptable choice. The sub does not need to be centered, a corner is fine.

Trying to keep with your budget (this is the lowest I would recommend for a passive setup that will fill out the whole range) You still need to find a receiver or amp to run these.

Dayton 10" Sub: ~$80
Infinity Primus 162: 2x~$85

Total Speakers: $250

Unfortunately, like I said above, you still need a source. This will run you another ~$150 if you go for something new. You could find a pair of active monitors instead. Just note that you cannot expand without replacing them entirely.

For $500 dollars you have a lot of options. This is the best time to buy with all the sales going on. I usually buy used from Audiogon, but of course you don't have to go that route.
If size is a a concern for your receiver, you can always pick up Teak City Audio's intergrated amp and dac, the Gizmo v1.0M. It's tiny and has a subwoofer out. I've never heard it,
but I've read some good reviews. They also sell moitors to pair with it. You'd just have to find a sub.

http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=24&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Here are some Audiogon results...
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?PRIC=1&PMIN=0&PMAX=500&CTGSK=spkrfull&submit=Go

First, I want to apologize if I've upset or stressed anyone with my posts. Second, I want to ask a few newbie type questions that may solve my problems. The motherboard I will be using, GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, has 8 audio channel outputs. I assume these are for a 7.1 setup? If I am to use these for the audio would I need to get speakers that are specifically meant for computers, like the Logitech X-540 or Logitech Z-5500, or is it possible to use these outputs for the passive speakers I am planning to use? Also, if I do use these PC speakers, is it okay to put the subwoofer on it's side instead of standing upright? If I lay it on it's side, it might be able to fit in the TV stand. Is there another audio output on this motherboard I should use instead and get a better set of speakers?

Last edited:
Yes,those outputs will send a 7 speakers + a subwoofer signal out. These output an analogue signal. No you do not need computer speakers. You will however need a receiver that supports 7.1 if you wish to use all the channels.

Putting the subwoofer on its side is fine.

Did you ever decide what your budget is? Last I saw, you were thinking of moving to a $500 range. Is surround a must?

Yes,those outputs will send a 7 speakers + a subwoofer signal out. These output an analogue signal. No you do not need computer speakers. You will however need a receiver that supports 7.1 if you wish to use all the channels.

Putting the subwoofer on its side is fine.

Did you ever decide what your budget is? Last I saw, you were thinking of moving to a $500 range. Is surround a must?

I was hoping it would cost less than $250, but that was before I started to see what was available. I'll adjust my budget as I check out stuff. Almost like when I started figuring out what I wanted for computer components. I thought I could get the computer I wanted for less than $500, but after I looked at stuff I doubled my budget. I just don't want the speakers to cost more than the TV because to me that would just be ridiculous (TV not purchased yet, but it will be under $1000). I do eventually want surround sound, but I want to do that later.

I think I would be okay with a subwoofer sitting beside the TV stand, but I don't want to have a set of monitors sitting on the floor as well. So unless I get something smaller than monitors that can sit in front of the TV, like the Logitech speakers could, I'd prefer to get a set of floorstanding. I did see a semi-decent looking set made by Pyle (PHST89 - $340.20/pr), but I haven't looked for reviews just yet. I'd like to keep looking to see what else I can find. Most of the floorstanding speakers I've seen start at around $200 a piece and go up from there.

Can someone give me an example of an amplifier or some brand names to check out? I'm trying to see what's available, but I keep getting lost in rack-mounted equipment. Also, searching for "amplifier" isn't exactly helpful.

Take a look at the Infinity 362 series or similar from Polk or other companies. I'm currently using them as my main speakers and am entirely pleased with them. Paired with a sub, you'd have the entire range well covered. No matter what you decide, shop around for reviews and if possible, get into a shop and listen to them awhile. In the end, your opinion is the only one that matters. Don't forget that you can get stands for smaller speakers. They don't have to be sitting on the ground.

What you are looking for is a receiver. Yamaha, Denon, Kenwood, Onkyo, and others. If you don't mind used equipment, it isn't hard to find a used Onkyo 600 series (603, 605, etc) for a good price. These are considered among the best mid range receivers. Many other one or two generation old mid and upper end receivers can be found on ebay or craigslist for good prices. There are home audio setups that use amplifiers, but that starts to move into more complex setups and the associated costs.

Last edited:
those Yamaha NS-555's are solid speakers, I'd suggest them any day of the week against a Polk Monitor

I finally put a list together of all floorstanding speakers in my price range that I can easily purchase online and OMG there are a lot! Cheap systems aside, my list has 28 speakers, but only 11 of them look like good candidates. Now I just need to check their specs and search for reviews to narrow the list down even further. Here are the ones I am looking at right now.

BIC America Acoustech PL-76
Fluance SV10
Infinity Primus P252
Infinity Primus P362BK
MTX Audio MONITOR600i
Polk Audio Monitor 70
Premier Acoustics PA-6F
Pure Acoustics QX900F
Pyle PHST89
Yamaha NS-555
Yamaha NS-777

Cost and spec wise, I think you are right obobski. The NS-555s are probably the best. I just need to search for reviews if there are any.

Last edited:
CircuitsMan if you can provide several pictures of your room I can help you out. I am all about high performance on a budget. It is difficult to achieve though and requires a lot of research. A couple of months back I purchased a used pair of KRK Rokit 5 monitors (read some reviews) for $125. They are bi-amped (15w amp for each tweeter and 30w amp for each 5" woofer) and are very accurate to 53Hz. The $125 also included a 10" Tannoy subwoofer, which I haven't been able to hook up yet.

I also just purchased 3 sets of Energy Take 5 speakers (5-channel package) / Yamaha 5.1 receiver combos for $300 each from newegg. The combo is expired now though. Previously the Energy Take 5's were Newegg's shell shocker for $149. They are currently $179. Normal price is $199. Check out the reviews and you will be sold. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16882269004. As for the receiver, I believe it to be sub-par and plan to sell them. Might keep one just because it is a cheap 5.1 Yamaha receiver with hdmi etc. Also, I mentioned that I bought 3 combos. Three 5-channel speaker packages equals two 7-channel speaker sets plus an extra center. After selling off the extra stuff I hope to have a set of "Energy Take 7" speakers for next to nothing.

Anyway, if you want nice equipment you need to find bargains and pick up one piece at a time. If you are looking at tower speakers I suggest Monitor Audio RS6 towers. They can be had for as little as $600 if you find them on Audiogon. Those are serious speakers though... you will need a good power source as well.

I've been sitting here too long and need to go. I'll ask more about your goals, etc later. Hope to be able to encourage you and help you out.

CircuitsMan if you can provide several pictures of your room I can help you out. I am all about high performance on a budget. It is difficult to achieve though and requires a lot of research. A couple of months back I purchased a used pair of KRK Rokit 5 monitors (read some reviews) for $125. They are bi-amped (15w amp for each tweeter and 30w amp for each 5" woofer) and are very accurate to 53Hz. The $125 also included a 10" Tannoy subwoofer, which I haven't been able to hook up yet.

I also just purchased 3 sets of Energy Take 5 speakers (5-channel package) / Yamaha 5.1 receiver combos for $300 each from newegg. The combo is expired now though. Previously the Energy Take 5's were Newegg's shell shocker for $149. They are currently $179. Normal price is $199. Check out the reviews and you will be sold. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16882269004. As for the receiver, I believe it to be sub-par and plan to sell them. Might keep one just because it is a cheap 5.1 Yamaha receiver with hdmi etc. Also, I mentioned that I bought 3 combos. Three 5-channel speaker packages equals two 7-channel speaker sets plus an extra center. After selling off the extra stuff I hope to have a set of "Energy Take 7" speakers for next to nothing.

Anyway, if you want nice equipment you need to find bargains and pick up one piece at a time. If you are looking at tower speakers I suggest Monitor Audio RS6 towers. They can be had for as little as $600 if you find them on Audiogon. Those are serious speakers though... you will need a good power source as well.

I've been sitting here too long and need to go. I'll ask more about your goals, etc later. Hope to be able to encourage you and help you out.

I think I've mentioned what I'm looking for pretty well in previous posts, but I'll summarize here again.

My goal is to be cheap. I'm not looking for super clarity or perfection, just something much better than a TV's own speakers. I'm also not looking for room-shaking bass or deafening volume. I plan to keep things relatively quiet. Just loud enough so I can hear good enough from 8-15ft feet away. The main issue though, is the TV stand I have to work with has no room for typical monitors or a sub, so that's why I'm looking into towers/floorstanding speakers. There's also very little furniture so there's no other places to put speakers and I can't really mount speakers to the walls because it's an apartment. I eventually plan to do some form of surround sound, but I still want to keep the total cost below the cost of a TV ($800-$1000).

A small story: I was flabbergasted once at how much better music sounded when I synced my iPod and my computer by pressing the play buttons at the same time (basically went from 2.1 to 4.1). It was a little easier to get the same sound after I got a headphone splitter, but perhaps this will give you and idea of the level of sound quality I am looking for.

Of the speakers I mentioned before, I think it is down to the Yamaha NS-555, Polk Audio Monitor 70, and the BIC Acoustech PL-76. Right now I am trying to consider if it would be better to eventually get four of one of these speakers, or if it would be better to go with cheaper towers and a sub, say Polk Audio R50 towers and a Polk PSW110 sub, and do a typical 5.1 setup for about the same amount of money.

Last edited:
I like the inexpensive 5.1 option, but really don't like the R50's

I'd probably just go with the nice stereo set, either Yamaha or Polk (mostly because I have no idea about BIC, and just think of the lighters that break :p), either will be a good choice, I personally like the Yamaha speakers for two reasons: aesthetics and sound, neither of which is an objective reason to pick them over the Polk M70's (which are honestly good speakers)

just make sure whatever receiver you buy can do 5.1, and add in the other speakers later, either something billed as surrounds (like Polk's Monitor 30 or Yamaha's NS-333 (or smaller models from either manufacturer)) or just something sorta "put together", like buying a pair of replacement ProMedia sats from Klipsch for ~$22/ea and wiring those in as your surrounds (And even center, if you felt so inclined)

oh, the PSW110 isn't a bad sub either :)

Spend the majority of your money on the front 3.1 speakers. The surrounds do not handle much audio at all. Focus on these and upgrade to 5.1 down the road when you're able to. You'll thank yourself later.

Spend the majority of your money on the front 3.1 speakers. The surrounds do not handle much audio at all. Focus on these and upgrade to 5.1 down the road when you're able to. You'll thank yourself later.

+1. Also if you have a big space DO NOT get the Polk sub. I purchased a PSW125 and am not impressed at all! It does not provide anywhere near the amount of umphf I wanted. I will be replacing it with a SVS sub later. The room I have mine in is 16x17 w 8ft ceilings.

I would go with the Yamaha speakers you listed for your fronts and get a timbre matched center for them. You can purchase any sub you want since you dont need to match it to the speakers, but I recommend against getting the Polk one you listed.

Start with good 3.1 and just buy some really cheap surrounds and then upgrade those later.

I have a pair of R50's and while they do sound OK they are nowhere near as good sounding as my Monitor 60's or 40's (which both the Monitor 70's and those Yamaha's are better than).

Buy quality now so you dont keep replacing them with better speakers later. :)

I appreciate everyone's help and I think I have enough information to go from here. I just have one n00bish type question left. What's the point in having a sub if the lower frequency range is the same as the towers? I'm guessing it's not a matter of frequency but amplitude/volume.

I'll check more into subs and surrounds later when I have time. I'll also try and see what I can find for receivers and amplifiers, but I may have questions about them later.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's help and I think I have enough information to go from here. I just have one n00bish type left. What's the point in having a sub if the lower frequency range is the same as the towers? I'm guessing it's not a matter of frequency but amplitude/volume.

I'll check more into subs and surrounds later when I have time. I'll also try and see what i can find for receivers and amplifiers, but I may have questions about them later.

For a reciever I recommend getting a Onkyo TX-SR606 from Accessories4less. It is last years model that does 7.1, blu-ray lossless formats, HDMI audio and is only 299.99. It even has a 1 yr factory warranty as Accessories4less is an authorized refurb seller for Onkyo.

If you're good with your hands, you can build a sub that'll reach down to 20Hz. You're wallet will thank you too, but your neighbors wont.

I appreciate everyone's help and I think I have enough information to go from here. I just have one n00bish type question left. What's the point in having a sub if the lower frequency range is the same as the towers? I'm guessing it's not a matter of frequency but amplitude/volume.

I'll check more into subs and surrounds later when I have time. I'll also try and see what I can find for receivers and amplifiers, but I may have questions about them later.

on the freq/amplitude question:
even the Monitor 70's and NS-777's which are fairly large speakers cannot hit 20hz at the same level they can hit, for example, 1500hz or 15000hz, this isn't to say the M70's or 777's couldn't handle themselves in stereo, although if you really want some rumble, a sub will help

although do consider that I subscribe to a very oldschool view on speakers, those front L/Rs better be BIG, and better be the focal point of your system, that sub should *NOT* be handling all LF from 100hz on down by itself and the center/surround is just fluff (for all the "elite audiophiles" who want to flame, realize this is my personal view, have fun explaining how you know me better than I do...)

enders is right on with the Onkyo suggestion, at least if you want to go budget

I started looking at how much a complete system will cost, and it looks like no matter which manufacturer I go with, a brand new 5.1 system like I've been looking at (including receiver/amp) will cost around $1200-$1300, which is just un-acceptable to me, even if I am buying peices over time. So... from now on I'll be looking at smaller systems like the Klipsch HD Theater 500 system. Again thanks everyone for all of your help in eventually showing me that this is not the way I want to go. I'll make a new thread if I want/need suggestions for a different set of speakers.

OP: Consider the HSU Ventriloquist series of speakers. Should be in your budget.

So... from now on I'll be looking at smaller systems like the Klipsch HD Theater 500 system.

I suggest the Energy Take 5 speakers for your setup or speakers from The Speaker Company. Both are well within your budget and The Speaker Company is running 40% off right now plus free shipping. Thats a win-win for you.

I configured a real kick ass 5.1 system from them for 503 dollars using two sets of TSBL 6.5" 2-way Bookshelf Speakers, a TC2 Center Channel Speaker, and a T300 Subwoofer.

Last edited:
I suggest the Energy Take 5 speakers for your setup or speakers from The Speaker Company. Both are well within your budget and The Speaker Company is running 40% off right now plus free shipping. Thats a win-win for you.

I configured a real kick ass 5.1 system from them for 503 dollars using two sets of TSBL 6.5" 2-way Bookshelf Speakers, a TC2 Center Channel Speaker, and a T300 Subwoofer.

Thanks for the suggestion, EndersShadow. I'll keep this in mind

Here's one last n00bish question. Do manufacturers make just amplifiers for surround sound systems? All I saw were stereo and mono amplifiers. Would I use one stereo amplifier for the fronts, another stereo amplifier for the sats, and a mono amplifier for the center? The only source I plan to connect to the speakers is the computer shown in my sig which I haven't built yet.

Another thing I'm finding out is that it seems I simply cannot do surround sound without a receiver. That would have been a nice piece of information to know from the start! I was really hoping to avoid putting another piece of equipment in my TV stand.

Thanks for the suggestion, EndersShadow. I'll keep this in mind

Here's one last n00bish question. Do manufacturers make just amplifiers for surround sound systems? All I saw were stereo and mono amplifiers. Would I use one stereo amplifier for the fronts, another stereo amplifier for the sats, and a mono amplifier for the center? The only source I plan to connect to the speakers is the computer shown in my sig which I haven't built yet.

Another thing I'm finding out is that it seems I simply cannot do surround sound without a receiver. That would have been a nice piece of information to know from the start! I was really hoping to avoid putting another piece of equipment in my TV stand.

The price of a 5 channel amplifier (for surround sound) is normally more than a receiver. Personally I would recommend the Onkyo TX-SR606 from Accessories4less. It is a factory refurb receiver for 299.99 that has a 1 yr manufacture warranty. It does 7.1 if you want it to, decodes blu-ray formats, and has more than enough wattage to drive any speakers you throw at it.

The price of a 5 channel amplifier (for surround sound) is normally more than a receiver. Personally I would recommend the Onkyo TX-SR606 from Accessories4less. It is a factory refurb receiver for 299.99 that has a 1 yr manufacture warranty. It does 7.1 if you want it to, decodes blu-ray formats, and has more than enough wattage to drive any speakers you throw at it.

this.

a 5/6 or 7/8 ch amp from Rotel or Outlaw (two of the least expensive brands) will easily run you $500+

honestly if you're seeing $1300+, you're not looking hard enough, or you've ignored EVERYTHING that has been said in this thread, if thats the case, why bother asking for advice and wasting everyone's time?

and yes, you need a receiver or some other form of decoder/processor, how else did you expect it to work?

Back