NEC's New IPS Panels unveiled at CES, 2-5ms?

thenewrick

Limp Gawd
I'm interested in buying a new monitor. I think IPS panels sound the most appealing. As a gamer, I can't buy the current IPS monitors because they usually have 8-15ms response time. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on new monitor technology in January/February. If I buy now, I'd go for;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005134
with oled backlit.
or,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005126
which is normal backlit.

Any thoughts on these two monitors as an immediate upgrade, or thoughts on waiting?

The HD5870 Eyefinity6 edition is likely going to be launched during or before CES, and we will get to see other products which synchronize with it launch. IPS & VA are much preferable to TN for portrait usage because of the viewing angles. All we need is reliably low response time, low input lag displays using these techs that have Displayport inputs & features which complement gaming, have small bezels, and are inexpensive. Not too much to ask, is it?

First one is LED, not OLED. BIG difference. An LED backlight doesn't make up for issues I have with TN screens

Not that I wish to denigrate them if you like them.

As a gamer I've HATED every TN I've sat in front of. The dithering and the 6bit color I can get past. The color shift drives me mad. It's like you almost get this weird 3d effect. The top of the screen never looks the same as the bottom and the corners do this weird warping thing. I can't stand it.

I'm hoping that in the next few months we see some updated 30s. Give me a 30 inch 120 hz IPS panel and I will sell a fucking testicle to have one.

Not one of mine of course, but I'm sure I could *cough* find one somewhere...

Not one of mine of course, but I'm sure I could *cough* find one somewhere...

You're *cough* only added to the effect. Now I get the visual of you trying to remove you're 3rd testicle as you do not want to acknowledge it and since this has afforded you an opportunity, you find yourself (with eyes closed) swinging your kitchen knife at your sack only for your body's unconscious reaction to *cough*, lifting your sack and narrowly avoiding being sliced.

Thanks for the visual, I would have went with the shifty eyes smiley instead.

So even if they start releasing IPS gaming panels in 24inch+ size this year they will be 500$? I think I might have to go with a TN panel for now, and get an IPS in a couple years when they are made for gaming.

What makes IPS panels unsuitable for gaming? I find IPS displays best for every use, if price is no objection.

IPS are bad for gaming because they have 8+ MS response time. Gaming monitors require 2-3ms to be really quality.

IPS are bad for gaming because they have 8+ MS response time. Gaming monitors require 2-3ms to be really quality.
OK I wasn't going to chime in but you keep putting way too much stock into the claimed response time by the manufacturer. When it comes to gaming, the manufacturer's claimed response time doesn't mean a damn thing. LAG is what matters. Lag is measured in frames, or milliseconds in increments of 16.67 ms (since most LCD's are locked at 60Hz, each frame is displayed on the screen for 16.67 ms). So if an LCD has an average 1 frame of lag behind a CRT monitor, it has an average lag of 16.67 ms. For gaming purposes, 1 or 2 frames of lag (16.67 or 33.33 ms) is quite acceptable. And for the record I have an IPS based monitor (HP LP2475w with a claimed 5ms response by HP) that runs 1 - 2 frames of lag, making it a very good gaming monitor with all the advantages of IPS. We've all read reviews of some monitors with a good claimed "response time" by the manufacturer that have a lot of lag in real world performance.

edit: Oh yeah, another example I forgot about is the old Dell 3007WFP-HC. It was an IPS monitor with virtually no lag, due to the lack of a scaler and other post-processing that can slow down a monitor.

Last edited:
I just bought and received the NEC EA231WMi. It is plenty fast enough for gaming.

I am by no means the best gamer out there, but I think I'd notice if it were holding me back or if there was annoying ghosting.

Perhaps I'll try to record some of a match with a video camera. Honestly no one could tell. I am telling you though, it is fine for gaming.

Here is my second match result in all of its 1920x1080 glory.

http://goo.gl/enPV

The 16:9 aspect ratio really is not that bad. I kinda like it.

Seems as if I am not the only one who thought so.

http://davidnaylor.org/blog/2009/11/nec-ea231wmi-review.html

I just bought and received the NEC EA231WMi. It is plenty fast enough for gaming.

+1 to this. Also have the NEC EA231wmi. Looks great, image is amazing and perfectly suited to casual gaming.

It is not however for hardcore FPS gamers (IPS after all - you probably need to stick with TN or CRT if you are one of these);)

The 2-3ms times that so many "gamer" TN panels are advertising are misleading. The reason is that is only gtg time and what is actually going to determine the lag is midtone response times. For example, this popular gaming panel Asus advertises 2ms: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049 It's not. It's 5ms midtone just like lots of other panels, and just like the famous 22" e-ips Dell panel. It's not faster. Quite frankly, 5-8ms should be good. Most people can't notice lag there and honestly considering the limitations of the human eye I'm not sure anybody actually could.

Now that said, a lot of high end IPS panels have really slow midtone response times like 16-25 and THAT is definitely a big difference from what a typical TN has. The EA231WMi has 14 ms response times and that 2 users above can't notice any lag, so yeah 8 ms is not bad.

Last edited:
+1 to this. Also have the NEC EA231wmi. Looks great, image is amazing and perfectly suited to casual gaming.

It is not however for hardcore FPS gamers (IPS after all - you probably need to stick with TN or CRT if you are one of these);)

What is "hardcore gaming". I am a pretty avid gamer and am perfectly happy. I still plan to enter my local tournaments for CoD and CS.

There is some slight tearing, but only happens during certain movements and structures. Perhaps that is just not suited for the extremely picky.

Two of my best friends are CoD tournament champs. They will only play on the fastest possible crt at like 1280x1024, with absolutely every graphic effect turned off.

They refuse to even play at under 120fps. Those are the kind of folks who aren't going to be using an IPS panel, thats the 'hardcore' segment he's talking about.

For my money though, the dell 3007 I bought was the best computer cash I've ever spent.

A couple of people in my household have no trouble gaming on my 2490, but we're not "pros" I suppose.

Honestly, I'd think a full frame (or up to four) of LAG in the digital processing would be a much larger issue than the raw grey-to-grey response time of the panel pixels excluding electronics. You feel you're really feeling 8mS interfering with your gaming? Call me skeptical.

Back