NEC PA301W Release Date and Price Announced

My NEC LCD309WQXi has developed grey streaks across the screen. They're faint but if I'm working on midtones (I'm a concept artist and designer) they appear strong and it's very annoying. I didn't expect this sort of sloppy tech from NEC.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed? I was thinking of going fro the new PA's but with the previous NEC letting me down like this and only after nearly 2 years of use I'm kind of disinclined to do so now.

My NEC LCD309WQXi has developed grey streaks across the screen. They're faint but if I'm working on midtones (I'm a concept artist and designer) they appear strong and it's very annoying. I didn't expect this sort of sloppy tech from NEC.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed? I was thinking of going fro the new PA's but with the previous NEC letting me down like this and only after nearly 2 years of use I'm kind of disinclined to do so now.

Are you referring to faint vertical gray stripes visible on white backgrounds? Mine have had those since the beginning, and they stayed pretty much the same since then (not getting any better or worse). Many people reported the problem back in 2008. I believe it's a flaw in the LG panel itself, not the rest of the monitor.

Nope I know about those and i don't have them. I have zigzaggy type of lines that flit randomly across horizontally.

Nope I know about those and i don't have them. I have zigzaggy type of lines that flit randomly across horizontally.

That's a different problem, then. I haven't seen that (and hopefully never will...)

Do these lines flicker, or do they stay static?

You should probably contact NEC customer support... Their US team is reputed to be good, and I personally had good experience with them in the past.

You should probably start a new thread for your 3090 issue, instead of thread-jacking the PA301W thread ... but have you tried a different DVI cable and gfx card yet.

My apologies, I didn't mean to jack the thread.

I just thought that since there was a NEC Product Manager on here he'd be able to definitively tell me of any solutions there were to my problem.

And per you suggestion xorbe, you think switching DVI cables and GPU would have some sort of positive outcome? Why is that?

@ Visualguy: Nope no flickering. They are like blotches that you wish you could just get a wiper and clean of the screen. I live outside and I had shipped my NEC from the US. I don't think they could be of any use to me.

And per you suggestion xorbe, you think switching DVI cables and GPU would have some sort of positive outcome? Why is that?

It's only a shot in the dark, since I haven't seen these streaks. If it's per pixel row, and it's really the lcd panel, yuck!!

Hi everybody !

I was searching for a 30" display and i found the NEC PA301W, it has some great specs i appreciate a lot:
-great aesthetic.
-pivot mode (don' t know another 30" with pivot mode)
-great colors and image quality (but how does it compare to others like U3011, ZR03W etc? Is it really better?)

I really felt in love for this monitor but there were some worrying points i wanted to clear before buying it:

-What about the "3090WQXi flaws" i read here ?
AG coating, glow, bleeding, noise, heat etc..
How the newer PA301W deal with these things ?

-How' s the input lag and response time ? I want to play games with it.
-Is there any reverse ghosting ?
-How about movies ? I read this monitor don' t support 24/48/50Hz (24/25FPS videos), does it mean all my videos (except the 30fps ones) will have judder ?

I really wanted this display and couldn' t find anything that match the PA301W, but these things really annoys me, for the price i think it should be defect-free.

PS: now i found ANOTHER concern, with Visualguy' s 3090WQXi stands..
Does the PA301W also have this tilting problem/stand wearing ?

How about movies ? I read this monitor don' t support 24/48/50Hz (24/25FPS videos), does it mean all my videos (except the 30fps ones) will have judder ?
It supports those frequencies but will convert them to a fixed panel update frequence (60Hz). This leads to judder. Absolute not unusual for a computer display.

Best regards

Denis

-What about the "3090WQXi flaws" i read here ?
AG coating, glow, bleeding, noise, heat etc..
How the newer PA301W deal with these things ?

Should be the same - it's the same 30" LG panel.

I really wanted this display and couldn' t find anything that match the PA301W, but these things really annoys me, for the price i think it should be defect-free.

Unfortunately, the state of the technology is such that it's not perfect. The thing that bothers me is the pretty large variation between units. This is a general problem - not specific to NEC. I would be willing to pay more for a unit with no bad pixels and good brightness and color uniformity, but that's not how things work. It's a frustrating crapshoot...

PS: now i found ANOTHER concern, with Visualguy' s 3090WQXi stands..
Does the PA301W also have this tilting problem/stand wearing ?

Only time will tell. However, NEC has good support in the US - they sent me new stands under warranty, and now my panels stay where they should be. Thanks, Art!

Unfortunately, the state of the technology is such that it's not perfect. The thing that bothers me is the pretty large variation between units. This is a general problem - not specific to NEC. I would be willing to pay more for a unit with no bad pixels and good brightness and color uniformity, but that's not how things work. It's a frustrating crapshoot...

LaCie is generally willing to do that. They don't make monitors, but they get them made by the high end folks. Historically NEC makes most of their stuff, but they get some made by Eizo too. Unless they've changed it, they do replacements for single dead pixels. They don't do it for single sub pixels, but an entire pixel dead will net you a replacement (or at least it did when I checked).

However their displays do cost more. For example their 324i is the equivalent to NEC's PA241W. However the 324i will run you $1100 at Amazon and the PA241W will run you $990.

Also they don't have a 30" display right now. They have two 24s, one IPS (324i) that appears to be NEC, and one PVA (324) that appears to be Eizo. They also have an IPS 26 (526) which looks like it is the old NEC 2690WUXi2. If you call and ask they'll probably tell you, they've always been open with me about who made what.

They don't do it for single sub pixels, but an entire pixel dead will net you a replacement (or at least it did when I checked).

The problem is typically with sub-pixels. Entire dead pixels are encountered much less frequently. Even one dead sub-pixel can be quite annoying. For example, you can get a pretty obvious red dot in the middle of white backgrounds.

A bigger problem, actually, is uniformity across the screen - both color and brightness. Individual units vary quite a bit in uniformity.

I'd be willing to pay even double the price of the monitor if it was guaranteed to have color and brightness uniformity within tight tolerances and no pixel problems.

Yeah, I had to exchange my 2490 because it had a dead red damn near the center of the screen -- absolutely intolerable! The current one has a dead sub pixel near the top. I never see it. My first 2490 also had 100+ better contrast. My 3090 whines badly in sleep mode, therefore I turn it off manually. But I refuse to RMA though. because it's pixel perfect. It's such an unfortunate crapshoot like they said above.

I too would pay a premium for no dead pixels. However they'll never do this ... it means everyone else would be guaranteed dead sub-pixels ...

Hi Denis,
i have read your very nice and very complete review.

So there is no reverse ghosting, great point.

The input lag delay is, if i understood correctly, only one frame ?
This is, i agree, very good.

But i don' t understand why in this test the guy talk about an awful 40ms lag (but it' s the PA271W and not the PA301W, are they so different ?)
I hope the 30" is ok, but could you explain the difference ?

In the anandtech review the input lag test show some weird results, the display is faster with response improve setting off and slower when activated ?!?

Their custom refresh rate test is strange too.

About judder, how is it annoying ?
I have a 2405FPW, does it have judder ? Perhaps i don' t even see it..

Do you think NEC would/could make a firmware upgrade which override the 60Hz conversion to eliminate judder ? Couldn' t this easily fix the problem ?

Is the spectraview model worth his added $250 over the pa301w vanilla ?
I read the SV can be LUA hardware calibrated and have better global building/materials quality, is that worth it ?
Do i need a separate probe ? If i'm correct it' s included in the SV revision package ?
Will i get the same result when using a color/spectrophotometer on a PA301W vanilla or the PA301W-BK-SV display itself has a different hardware ?

What' s the better choice for calibration, using the US spectraview2 software, a colorimeter, spectrophotometer, the NEC one or another ? On a PA or a PA-SV ?

Last: Even with the shipping cost, the display is WAY cheaper in USA than in France where i live, so how the warranty/RMA works if i buy it there ?

I hope the 30" is ok, but could you explain the difference ?
Dual screen tests with CRTs have a number of problems and are not very adequate to measure the input lag - even if you are using an appropriate program (=> no flash watches). Prior to our new measurement method we have also used a dualscreen setup - which gave us many headaches (but the reader demanded it).

About judder, how is it annoying ?
A good test: Watch a NTSC or PAL-DVD (which will lead to slightly more judder) with filmcontent @60Hz.

I read the SV can be LUA hardware calibrated and have better global building/materials quality, is that worth it ?
Do i need a separate probe ? If i'm correct it' s included in the SV revision package ?
With Spectra View II all NEC PA can be hardwarecalibrated. Although a software calibration virtually is a hardware calibration in this case* because of the extensive electronic and OSD and the accurate factory calibration (very neutral, gradation correlates good with current OSD setting). When using Spectra View II you have to choose the EOD2 labeled by NEC (there is also a bundled solution) or the EyeOne Pro because NEC doesn't implement corrections for the WCG-CCFL spectrum or accesses them only with this probe connected. I have also tested SpectraView Profiler (licensed by BasICColor for the European SpectraView models) but only in combination with the SV231 (a screen without extended color space (CCFL backlight, 72% NTSC)) - however: I couldn't see any user options for optional corrections.

A quite cheap solution (at least for European users) is the Quato Silver Haze Pro Bundle. Very good software calibration with the stable X-Rite DTP94. Generic corrections are implemented for WCG-CCFL spectra (work very well in combintation with this probe).

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
Thanks very much!

But finally, the input lag of the pa301w is what ? :confused: good/bad ?
You mean the tftcentral & anandtech don' t reflect real world usage performance ?
The display used in dual screen will add some latency ?
WTF with the response improve option results ?:confused:

Do you know some nice cheap european place where to buy the pa301w/sv that compete with bhphotovideo' s $2549 (=1757€) ?

How' s NEC' s dead pixel policy ? Is it different with spectraview displays ?

Back