NEC PA301W Release Date and Price Announced

Yes in appears to be available in Europe but who knows when in North America. Now that I have said it is not in NA maybe it will show up soon........

We just announced the MultiSync PA301W-BK today in North America. Displays are shipping now.

http://necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa301w-bk

-- Art

Sux he didn't do input-lag or response or AG (although pics looked good)

Good review overall. Wonder what street will be. It's getting about that time to move up to the big boys and NEC is all I'll buy. Just waiting for above questions answered.

A bit out of my pricerange at the moment - but I am very curious about real world AG reviews... Might get tempted if it's a lot better (less aggressive looking) then the U3011....

NEC online has a promotion now - if you purchase during March, you receive a free hood & cable, also get an extended warranty through 5 years for only $25 !!!

What do you mean cable? Do you have to order through their site? What does a hood do for me? Do you have a link if applicable? Thanks

This is a tempting offer, as the hood alone is worth over $200
I may go for it & purchase directly from NEC. Has anyone found the 30" anywhere else in the USA?

I may go for it & purchase directly from NEC. Has anyone found the 30" anywhere else in the USA?

Don't see it anywhere yet.

Thanks Marilyn for eariler reply.

I still don't know why I'd use a hood. I just calibrate with eye one LT like the instructions say. Says nothing about hood when going through the motions.

I would appreciate the hood with my NEC 2690, as whenever I calibrate with the Spectraview software, I take a black flannel cloth and cover the monitor, to keep out the ambient room light, and I get such superior results having it covered like this.

I would appreciate the hood with my NEC 2690, as whenever I calibrate with the Spectraview software, I take a black flannel cloth and cover the monitor, to keep out the ambient room light, and I get such superior results having it covered like this.

Why not just calibrate in the dark at night?

I prefer to calibrate in the (controlled) ambient light to account for the actual environment in which the colours are seen.

Back to the thread topic: I was waiting for the PA301W all this time, but I think this forum might've killed it for me with the complaints of the AG on these panels, as well as other quality issues and drawbacks (IPS glow) that I don't think I could stomach at this price point, even if it's a good value compared to highend EIZOs.. Too bad I can't see one in person.

At this price point it would be nice to know how the AG coating compares to the other cheaper models out there.

Does this replace the NEC 3090? It seems identical, except the foot appears less intrusive, access to the advanced menu without a power cycle, and 10-bit DisplayPort.

Last edited:
Yes, this replaces the LCD3090WQXi.

There are other features too, including the built-in USB hub with a virtual KVM (called DisplaySync Pro), 10 bit LCD panel, 14 bit 3D lookup tables, MultiProfiler software to control the 5 Picture Mode presets in the display (color gamut, gamma, white point, luminance and black level), as well as Picture in Picture and Picture by Picture modes.

It's a pretty significant upgrade, but I am the marketing guy. :)

-- Art

Has anyone seen these 10 bit panels? Basically they are 8 bit panels that are using frame rate control to dither up the extra colors....like TN panels. My concern is that like TN panels it is going to result in flicker.

Hahaha, flicker on NEC's pro LCDs, riiight. Just worry about your wallet, and wanting to buy a second one!

But are they really temporally dithering? That sounds hard to believe. The lookup tables are 14-bit it says above, not 10-bit. I don't think it's even possible to temporally dither 6 bits.

Last edited:
My concern is that like TN panels it is going to result in flicker.
It doesn't flicker - using a FRC stage is nothing new for displays with extensive electronic. You will see slight temporal noise in darker tonal values when comming very close to the screen.

But are they really temporally dithering?
Yes. Tonal values preserved during processing should not be cut off.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
You will see true 10 bit color with the MultiSync PA301W.

The color processing is actually using true 10 bit + 4 bit FRC, as our scalar (marketing term: SpectraView Engine) is processing everything at 14 bits. This ensures crisp, accurate color with great color depth.

Hope that this helps!

-- Art

Since there is a NEC product manager here I might ask this, in the older production NEC PA271W and the PA241W series having trouble with some of the displayport cables from Monoprice.com I was wondering if that problem still remain a factor on the NEC PA301W model?

Thanks.

so anybody get this baby? I am looking to upgrade my 27 inch dell whit this for everyday use and GAMING any recommendations? thanks

You will see true 10 bit color with the MultiSync PA301W.

The color processing is actually using true 10 bit + 4 bit FRC, as our scalar (marketing term: SpectraView Engine) is processing everything at 14 bits. This ensures crisp, accurate color with great color depth.

Hope that this helps!

-- Art

Art can you tell us which panel is used in the PA301w please as I am unaware of any true 10-bit panels in this size, only panels which are actually 8-bit +AFRC like in the PA241/271 models?

in the older production NEC PA271W and the PA241W series having trouble with some of the displayport cables from Monoprice.com I was wondering if that problem still remain a factor on the NEC PA301W model?

prtuc2,

Unfortunately yes, that is still a problem. We are continually testing additional cables to find some that work correctly. Our whitepaper was down from the site today, it should be back soon (http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/Miscellaneous/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf)

As an interim solution, we are offering a cable (PA-MDP-CABL) that has tested well. We will continue working with cable manufacturers to identify good cables.

I hope that this helps.

-- Art

Art can you tell us which panel is used in the PA301w please as I am unaware of any true 10-bit panels in this size, only panels which are actually 8-bit +AFRC like in the PA241/271 models?

Hi Drags,

The PA301W uses the LG LM300WQ5-SLA2.

-- Art

What is the significant difference in the Dell U series with the NEC PA? Do they use the same panels? Are the NEC panels the cream of the crop? The Dell panels are about70% of the NEC panels and on sale closer to 50-55%.

What is the significant difference in the Dell U series with the NEC PA?

- Easy and accurate automatic calibration with a specific SpectraView kit.
- Better ergonomics (mechanics, autobrightnes, dynamic brightness)
- Unlimited scaling
- Supposed to be but never tested so far on PA series and hardly will be tested - more accurate sRGB support (your everyday pictures, movies, games)
- Various pro features that are not important to a regular user.

Something we would applaud to but that hardly will happen:
- Less aggressive AG coating
- Less LCD glow

Something pros would like to know but there is no one to test this monitor completely:
- Is this "10 bit" toy really a 10 bit monitor and how does the difference look in practice?

PA series is too complicated for so-called "professional reviewers". PAs would rather test them then they test PA monitors. We've seen that already.

As far as gamers are concerned, expect regular input lag ~28-33 ms and adequate responsiveness = no problem for movies and regular gaming.
As any of the top NEC's models this is a universal monitor for work, entertainment and hobbies.

Did you see a link to a "review" above?
Did you look at it?
Did you find anything more than we know without opening the box?
This is how NEC "reviews" work nowadays...

Do they use the same panels?

Wiki says no.
That is what wiki says.

Are the NEC panels the cream of the crop?

What do you mean? If the level of LCD engineering - yes, the best available as always.
If you mean "cherry-picked" panels - no and never been.

Regards

Last edited:
PA series is too complicated for so-called "professional reviewers". PAs would rather test them then they test PA monitors. We've seen that already.
Supposed to be but never tested so far on PA series and hardly will be tested - more accurate sRGB support (your everyday pictures, movies, games)
I assume that you don't like me or our site. That's no problem - but I must insist that the PA301W was tested precisely - including the very good color space emulation which just works as intented and very linear. And no: It makes no sense to use a crude defined reference screen (not that the 2490WUXi you keep mentioning is bad; it is a very good screen; but I have already explained limitations and why there inherently can't exist such a reference device) for a visual comparison - which would already be very problematic because of the spectral differences and resulting observer metamerism (by far not the only problem).

Again regarding the color space emulation: As always there is only one pitfall when using those flexible color space emulations: If you wan't to achieve an other whitepoint than the one your aim values were defined relative to, you have to perform a chromatic adaptation by yourself. Using the original numbers will lead to increasing deviations. That's true for any current color space emulation (although the vendors could implement this easily). Nice feature of the NEC implementation: Emulation of a larger color space than the native one results in a relative colorimetric RI (link => bottom of page which tests against ECI-RGB 2.0 without CMM transformations). Some clipping can occur but colors within the display gamut are transformed ideal. Color space emulation of the Eizo CG doesn't incorporate a gamut mapping: No clipping when emulating larger color spaces than the native one but colors that are within the gamut can't be transformed absolute ideal then. When emulating color spaces smaller than the native one there is no difference.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
> Less aggressive AG coating
> Less LCD glow

Ohh, nice. My 3090 does glow a bit off-center. Never noticed the AG coating, though some did.

The problem that bothers me the most with the NEC LCD3090WQXi is a flaw in the design of the stand. The panel is very heavy, and as time progresses, the part of the stand that holds the panel at a particular tilt position weakens. This means that the panel starts having a tendency to tilt downward.

I have multiple LCD3090WQXi units, and all of them developed this problem. I set the panel so that it's at an upright 90 degree angle, and it gradually changes angle and points downward, so I have to tilt it back up once in a while. Highly annoying... Changing tilt isn't very useful to begin with - it would be better not to have it than to have a panel that won't stay upright after a couple of years.

I have some Samsung LCD monitors (243T) with the exact same problem, and they became unusable at some point because of this. They would tilt down pretty much right away, and I couldn't find a way to keep them at 90 degrees.

Judging by pictures of the PA301W, it seems that NEC kept the same design for the relevant part of the stand, which is very disappointing!

I have multiple LCD3090WQXi units, and all of them developed this problem. I set the panel so that it's at an upright 90 degree angle, and it gradually changes angle and points downward, so I have to tilt it back up once in a while. Highly annoying... Changing tilt isn't very useful to begin with - it would be better not to have it than to have a panel that won't stay upright after a couple of years.
Judging by pictures of the PA301W, it seems that NEC kept the same design for the relevant part of the stand, which is very disappointing!

Hi visualguy,

I'm sorry to hear about that issue with your LCD309WQXi units. Are they still under warranty? Have you contacted our customer support? I'd be interested in details via PM.

The PA301W stand is a complete redesign. I think you'll be happy with the performance over time.

Art

Hi visualguy,

I'm sorry to hear about that issue with your LCD309WQXi units. Are they still under warranty? Have you contacted our customer support? I'd be interested in details via PM.

The PA301W stand is a complete redesign. I think you'll be happy with the performance over time.

Art

PM sent...

Back