NEC EA231wmi vs. HP LP2465 for eyefinity setup?

Darth_Penguin

Limp Gawd
I am interested in both of these monitors and was wondering what you guys thought. I am a casual gamer than wants to go eyefinity and am interested in doing a Portrait 3x1 (and eventually 5x1) eyefinity setup. I know TN panels are out of the question because of the horrible viewing angles I will get when trying to look at these in portrait mode.

From the reading I have done, ips seems to be the better bet for input lag and gaming.

Any perspective would be appreciated.

Both of those IPS panels have significant ghosting according to most reivews...

I would go with the Dell 2209wa as they are IPS, have much better motion performance and are in the 250$ price range

Both of those IPS panels have significant ghosting according to most reivews...

I would go with the Dell 2209wa as they are IPS, have much better motion performance and are in the 250$ price range

Thanks for the response. I probably should have been more specific with what I wanted. I really wanted an HD capable display as well and didnt want to go any smaller than 23". I am currently running a 25" 1920x1080 display and would like to at least keep the same resolution. I know the 24" dell IPS's are out of my price range, thats why I am looking at these 2.

Then the HP ZR24w is probably what you want. They are around 450$ and are 1080p, I would wait for official reviews before purchasing (should be soon).

Samsungs F2380mx should be coming out soon with a 3000:1 static contrast VS the typical 700-1000:1. They use CPVA panels and have almost no ghosting on the upcoming versions (only source is one japanese site). Also they have a rotating stand perfect for eyefinity

I have the original F2380, which is an 8ms CPVA, but ghosting is hardly an issue once calibrated (they can be had for 240$ from NCIX). Once calibrated the PQ is equivalent to that of a 2,000$ TV. No backlight bleeding either.

Then the HP ZR24w is probably what you want. They are around 450$ and are 1080p, I would wait for official reviews before purchasing (should be soon).

Samsungs F2380mx should be coming out soon with a 3000:1 static contrast VS the typical 700-1000:1. They use CPVA panels and have almost no ghosting on the upcoming versions (only source is one japanese site). Also they have a rotating stand perfect for eyefinity

I have the original F2380, which is an 8ms CPVA, but ghosting is hardly an issue once calibrated (they can be had for 240$ from NCIX). Once calibrated the PQ is equivalent to that of a 2,000$ TV. No backlight bleeding either.

Thanks for the advice. The samsung looks really promising. The ZR24w is out of my budget though as I was looking at sub $350 per monitor. I keep going back to the NEC. It just seems like for $300-310 it cant be beat. ahhh decisions decisions!

ZR22W is actually 21.5", the OP wants 23" minimum, still I would consider it over the NEC as it is guaranteed to handle motion better.

Last edited:
ZR22W is actually 21.5", the OP wants 23" minimum, still I would consider it over the NEC as it is guaranteed to handle motion better.

Thanks for the help, its appreciated.

The samsung F2380M seems like a great deal. It appears that it wouldn't work well for a Portrait eyefinity setup though because of the button placement. The ZR22W is a bit smaller than I wanted to go. I guess I am being a little too picky, but I really didn't want to go eyefinity if I didn't at least have the option to put them in portrait.

Who thought this would be so difficult. :p

Have I entered backwards land? The EA231WMi has much better motion performance than the F2380.

IPS panels have never had significant problems with ghosting. I don't want to say no ghosting like many people do because every LCD has ghosting to some degree, including those so-called "2 ms" TN monitors, but IPS panels are the only panels where ghosting doesn't bother me. They aren't the fastest at every color transition, but the response times are more well-rounded than other LCD technologies. IPS monitors without overdrive like the EA231WMi have slightly more motion blur than IPS monitors with overdrive like the 2209WA, but the difference is small. The slight motion blur is nothing compared to the ghosting on the F2380.

PVA panels have always had trouble with ghosting with darker colors because some color transitions take 50-60 ms. The ones with less ghosting have more lag because they do things to compensate for the poor response times. Sometimes they do it badly and you end up with both inverse ghosting and lag. I have yet to see a PVA monitor with low ghosting and low lag at the same time.

TN panels aren't the fastest either. They have trouble with darker objects ghosting against lighter backgrounds, which nobody ever seems to mention, but they are excellent for lighter objects moving against darker backgrounds, which I guess is more important in games. The problem is the viewing angles kill the detail at the top and wash out the bottom, and using them in portrait mode causes an annoying hologram effect because each eye sees something different.

The EA231WMi seems to be the best choice unless you want 1920x1200, then the HP ZR24W is the best option, but the EA231WMi can do 83 Hz over DisplayPort, which is where overdrive would have helped. The ZR24W has an overdrive option, but it only seems to support 60 Hz.

Wow, nice history lesson. Except your main point is wrong, read the reviews. The F2380 has better motion performance than the NEC, not to mention much better contrast.

As an owner, I can say once calibrated motion blur is hardly noticeable paired next to a 120hz 2233rz except in extremely high contrast areas. Even in in synthetic tests such as pixer pix an it is not an issue except in the extremely fast flag races.

Now the button placement during EyeFinity and the displayport option is where the NEC has the advantage.

OP maybe you should really consider the HP Zr22w. A slight size downgrade for the best of the bunch motion and Eyefinity set up convience is probably worth it in the long run

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The samsung looks really promising. The ZR24w is out of my budget though as I was looking at sub $350 per monitor. I keep going back to the NEC. It just seems like for $300-310 it cant be beat. ahhh decisions decisions!
The ZR24w can be had for $390 right now from Cost Central. Little over you budget, but only ~$120 total.

OP maybe you should really consider the HP Zr22w. A slight size downgrade for the best of the bunch motion and Eyefinity set up convience is probably worth it in the long run

I went to a store today to compare 22's and 24's again since I have lost my perception of their sizes next to one another. I really would rather stay away from anything smaller than 23".

Is there really going to be that significant a difference between the 23" NEC and the HP ZR24w ? If you guys feel the extra $300+ I would be spending on 3 of them is worth it then I will probably just do the HP's. :confused:

I went from 30" to 24" then to 23". I sold the NEC because it's to small. Even my sisters said it was small hahaha...

I went to a store today to compare 22's and 24's again since I have lost my perception of their sizes next to one another. I really would rather stay away from anything smaller than 23".

Is there really going to be that significant a difference between the 23" NEC and the HP ZR24w ? If you guys feel the extra $300+ I would be spending on 3 of them is worth it then I will probably just do the HP's. :confused:

http://displaywars.com/23-inch-16x9-vs-24-inch-16x10

Ok so it looks as though I may end up getting the HP ZR24w. I like the uniform bezel for portrait eyefinity and the extra resolution. I have gone through the whole ZR24w thread and it appears the only real issue with the monitor has to do with 1:1 scaling (which I am not using as I don't own a PS3 anymore). It appears that for gaming the monitor does well once overdrive is turned on.

In this price range is there really anything else worth considering?

I have 3 NEC EA231WMis in eyefinity and it works pretty well. I've been quite happy with the results.

Back