NEC 20WMGX2 Problems

gregory

n00b
Anyone have experience with NEC when it comes to warranties? The bottom right corner of my 20WMGX2 has a dozen or more gray pixels of varying brightnesses —so many in fact that at first I thought my monitor must have got dirty. I even thought maybe dust had got behind the panel, however all the spots are square like the pixels. They are very visible on a white background and are annoying me more and more every day. I guess my big worry is that NEC will replace it with something awful without telling me. Then I question if it's even worth it to pay shipping costs on something so heavy.

Anywho, anyone have experience with them? What would you do?

Thanks

I've had some experience with NEC support and its pretty solid for the most part. Just be upfront with them and they will do honor the support.

However you aren't likely to get that exact model back as its not made anymore (discontinued sometime ago) so they may just upgrade the entire thing to a lesser panel (they don't make anymore panels like the MGX2 sadly AS-IPS) , so you take a risk sending it in. If you can live with the defect I would just do so.

They would probably have refurbished models available for warranty replacements. If not, I'm sure they'll send you their nearest equivalent (possibly the 23" IPS EA231WMi?).

However you aren't likely to get that exact model back as its not made anymore (discontinued sometime ago) so they may just upgrade the entire thing to a lesser panel (they don't make anymore panels like the MGX2 sadly AS-IPS) , so you take a risk sending it in.

I don't see how replacing it with an inferior panel is an upgrade.

They would probably have refurbished models available for warranty replacements. If not, I'm sure they'll send you their nearest equivalent (possibly the 23" IPS EA231WMi?).

I don't see how replacing it with an inferior panel is an upgrade.

I didn't mean it in the sense that it would be better to have a lesser panel and since AS-IPS panels aren't made anymore it'll be a downgrade if they give him a different model. They likely don't have many refurbished models left and have cleared inventory and moved on .. its a 4+ year old monitor now.

When I sent mine in because of a panel problem, they replaced the panel itself, not the whole thing. So it's possible they still have spare parts laying around for warranty repairs. You should call them up and see what they can do, they are pretty good in customer service.

I had one of these that I got about a year ago refurbished and I had to send it in for repairs. They acctually repaired my monitor and sent it back to me.

Would be nice of them to repair it but I probably wouldn't expect it. AFAIK, it only came with a 3 year limited warranty for parts/labor. I've got two of them but I realize they probably won't last that much longer...almost a 5 year old monitor heh.

The 20WMGX2 is a NA model. The 24WMGX3 is Europe only. No way you'd get one through an RMA.

Damn, I didn't realize that officially the 20WMGX2 was released over 4 years. Mine will be 4 in May. Still going strong. This bad boy has been a real trooper and isn't showing any signs of retiring anytime soon. Best 700 bucks I ever spent.

Back