NEC 20WMGX2 or Dell 2007WFP?

cslogical

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a 20" lcd for gaming. I know the NEC is a better monitor but is the price difference worth it? Need to buy tonight!! Thanks

If you've got the money for it, get the NEC. If you're even the least bit picky, it'll be worth it.

I've agonized long and hard over which LCD monitor to buy, and though I didn't buy the NEC, it was only because I couldn't afford it. It's far and away the best monitor I saw for movies, editing, and casual viewing. There are a precious few TNs that I think beat it for gaming, but that's barely, and certainly not worth all of the other amazing things you'd give up by not getting this monitor; it still games very well.

I have been deciding between these two as well. Personally I think I am going to with the Dell, because I don't think the differences are worth the extra money for me. I also like the adjust-ability of the Dell stand and I think the NEC is rather ugly. Also, in my dorm room the glossy screen would probably pick up a ton of reflections, but for you that might not be a factor.

You really can't go wrong with either though, unless you lose the lottery for the Dell - but you can still return it for another. For gaming, the NEC will be better so you might just want to go with that.

the NEC is a quality panel, i'd say quite a bit better than the dell.

That is arguably THE 20" LCD to have right now and the price reflects that.

|S

I have the NEC now, and I had 2 2007wfp's that I sent back because they were S-PVA. Still, the difference in construction was substantial. Just bending the power supply wires you can tell the difference. The NEC is only power cord I ever bent and it kept it's shape after you bent it (that would reflect copper content), The stand is really solid and you would have to tackle it to knock it over. The remote is great for calibrating so you dont have to mess with those little bezel buttons on the Dell. The Nec also has very broad yet delicate "tweakablilty" ( Calibrating the NEC was like tickling the best out of a fine stereo while the Dell in comparison felt like trying to dial in an AM station on an analog radio). The NEC was very uniform with regard to backlight where the Dells never seem to be uniform. I think the Dell is great for $350 if you get a S-IPS but the NEC is worth the extra (the only crappy thing about it are the menu buttons on the bezel). People often think the NEC is like the Dell except more expensive because of the speakers, TV tuner etc. I thought the same myself but after the first 10 minutes with the NEC I realised the monitor alone is worth the cost and the other things seem like bonus items. It feels much higher quality (except for bezel buttons - but remote fixes that). The Dell also started to look ugly too me after a week. Its thick and blocky and the stand looks like some bent metal a hose would hang on in the garage. The NEC looks worse in pics than real life and where I didn't like it's looks before I had one (the silver bezel reflect light and comes out much brighter in pics (because of flash usually) than it looks in person. The Dell ability to turn vertical was nice but after about a week I stopped doing that because once the cables and wires are hooked up its a pain to turn it (plus it tips over easy). The NEC was recently $460 something on the Egg with a $100 rebate. That's agreat price. I paid $550 with a rebate last Feb and if NEC called and asked for another $200 I would have sent it once I used it.

What advantages does the NEC 20wmgx2 have over the Dell 2007? Which performs better? As a graphic designer I need good colour reproduction and I will also be playing my xbox 360 on it.

Does the NEC have any major issues?

-banding
-backlight bleed
-ghosting (xbox360)
-1:1 aspect ratio
-how is the colour, black and whites
-response time??

Who has less issues?

Definitely NEC. Especially if you need better color. IMHO (and not just mine) NEC 20WGX2 is best 20" widescreen display currently on the market.

For graphic design NEC 2090UXi would be even better choice (if you do a lot of color corrections / photo editing + retouching etc.), but it's more expensive, and not widescreen. It has 12-bit LUT and has excellent color reproduction once it's properly calibrated.

Speaking of calibration, if you need display for color critical jobs than proper calibration is a must - you can never get "out of the box" display with good calibration.

As a graphic designer I need good colour reproduction and I will also be playing my xbox 360 on it.

Well, the NEC's glossy screen is going to give you a lot of artificial contrast which can look really good, but isn't exactly "accurate". I wouldn't design my graphics on it, but I'd rather play games and watch movies on it.

To me, the best features of the NEC are: TV tuner, guaranteed S-IPS panel, Dynamic Contrast (useful for dark areas in games).

Unfortunately, I didn't like the look of the NEC bezel after seeing it in person (I actually thought it looked better in web pics). Its not just a solid silver color, it has metal flake which I disliked.

The Dell and the Acer 2016W (glossy P-MVA) are the best bang for the buck in the 20" line up, but that's only if you get an S-IPS in the Dell.

hmm.... I was leaning towards the Dell but I heard it has minimal ghosting... :mad: also did they fix the banding issue?

This is such a hard decision...

One of the first revisions of the Dell disabled the overdrive feature in the "Desktop Mode" setting that was causing the banding. Users said that banding was minimal after that revision. Now they are on revision 3 or 4, I believe. I haven't heard anyone complain of banding in a while, so I expect that its either not much of an issue or it is fixed entirely. Perhaps someone can confirm?

BeHardware's huge 20" panel round up reviewed the Dell 2007 and the NEC and found them both to be competitive with the fastest TN panels. Very little ghosting on both (all LCD's ghost at least a tiny bit).

When you say a tiny bit... what will I be seeing? will i see a trail in a sword swing? I'm not to sure what to expect. Any video links?

Also is the other version of the 20" NEC without the tv tuner the same panel... ?

hmm.... I was leaning towards the Dell but I heard it has minimal ghosting... :mad: also did they fix the banding issue?

This is such a hard decision...

ALL LCD's have some sort of ghosting, even a 0 millisecond panel would have it.

You either deal with it or get a CRT....thats just the nature of the beast:)

Good article. I'm still debating this question myself.

I would also like more feedback on how the Dell does in gaming (especially FPS).

I have to agree with abcdelight
i have seen the NEC in person and it looks better in person
its the best 20inch widescreen you can buy period

if it wasn't for the size of the 20inch i would probably own one
its a very high quality panel you don't see very often

you have to consider the glossy screen on the NEC is slightly tinted to enhance the contrast (make it look like it has better blacks) and is a gamer's monitor.
While it does have good colors, the tint does not make it suitable for image editing

If you are planning to use the new monitor for your 360, the 20WMGX2 has some significant issues with the non-dvi inputs. There are some scaling issues with 480p/720p/1080i over component, and VGA has issues with scaling as well. An xbox630 hooked up via the VGA cable, for example, will stretch the 16:9 720p image to fit the 16:10 NEC 20WMGX2.

Really? but its a gaming monitor ... doesn't it have apect ratio control (1:1 pixel mapping)

What about the Dell 2007WFP? Is that XBox360 friendly? I'm never going to find the right monitor...:rolleyes:

Anyways my contenders are:
-Dell 2007WFP
-NEC 20WGX2 or 20WMGX2
-Viewsonic VX2025WM

Any Xbox 360 owners with one of this monitors..... would love your input.

Really? but its a gaming monitor ... doesn't it have apect ratio control (1:1 pixel mapping)

What about the Dell 2007WFP? Is that XBox360 friendly? I'm never going to find the right monitor...:rolleyes:

Anyways my contenders are:
-Dell 2007WFP
-NEC 20WGX2 or 20WMGX2
-Viewsonic VX2025WM

Any Xbox 360 owners with one of this monitors..... would love your input.

I would also like some input about the 2007WFP and gaming performance. From what I've seen - its pretty decent, but I like to play FPS occasionally so that is important to me.

I've tried a few monitors recently and was down to 'on line only' choices. The $100 MIR on the NEC and NECs build quality reputation made me choose that even with Newegg's return policy. Suffice to say I LOVE the monitor and I've been a die-hard CRT'er. I like glossy too ;) after trying the HP w2207 I realized all the FUD over glossy on major review sites doesn't say the important thing 'individual taste and vision matters a lot.' Haven't used anything but the DVI input though. In the manual it does say that the scaling options are available for the analog inputs and the digital when in 'DVI-HD' mode just no the digital when in 'DVI-PC' mode. I haven't confirmed this though.

If you are planning to use the new monitor for your 360, the 20WMGX2 has some significant issues with the non-dvi inputs. There are some scaling issues with 480p/720p/1080i over component, and VGA has issues with scaling as well. An xbox630 hooked up via the VGA cable, for example, will stretch the 16:9 720p image to fit the 16:10 NEC 20WMGX2.

See my last few sentences above. I don't have an xbox 360 to test though. Maybe I will try with a DVD player through component and a computer through the VGA.

get a 24inch LG monitor has all the inputs including HDMI lol

Back