NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW $72.99 Shipped!

L3on

n00b
Newegg 1 Day Sale:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-032&DEPA=0

One Day Sale, Ends 10/26/2004 4:00 PM PST
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black, Model ND-3500A BK, OEM

Model# ND-3500A BK
Item # N82E16827152032

Specifications:
Write Speed: 16X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R9, 16X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 48X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 48X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/ 2000/ ME/ 98SE
Features: High speed writing performance.
Packaging: OEM (see pictures for details)

Edit Now: $70.99

so does this model do 8GB dvd's? I got one a few months back...w/o realizing it would only do 4gb DVD's....

Its a good deal but I bet i can save another $20 on it by the time dvd9 media is less than $2 a disk

Steel Chicken said:
duallayer = 8gb?
i dont care so much about the speed, just the 8gb and format flexibility
Yes, dual-layer is 8.5GB. However the media is hard to come by and extremely expensive -- around $9-$10 per disk last I checked.

eh changed my mind, ordered tonight! :D those free DVD-R's sealed the deal for me. Oh and free shipping on everything. Seriously a good deal. Checkout these speeds!

16X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R9, 16X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 48X CD-R, 24X CD-RW

Some of them I was looking at that are 16x are only 16x for DVD+R and 8x fo DVD-R. This one is 16x for both. AND 4x FOR THE DUAL LAYER BURNING! Beats the hell outa the standard 2.4x!

Man, it also beats the hell outa my 16x TDK CD Burner I paid $250 for back when it was new...

lol, how does it drop $2 in price after the sale. what exactly is newegg's definition of sale?

well actually the sale really was the 70.99 price. but it ended at 4pm PST. but for some reason the price stayed the same. meh. im not complaining here. :D

I ordered this about an hour ago, realized I forgot to include the customer appreciation gift (5 free dvdr's or $5 off a bulk pack), cancelled, and reordered just now.

I have one of these + 5dvd's coming to me hopefully by the weekend.

Yay! :D

I have one of these drives - quite nice. Too bad there isnt actually any cheap DL media AVAILABLE........

doith, i canceled mine, and went to order again,, its a 5 pack but they charge you shipping onit.. ugh costs the same

workingnonstop said:
I ordered this about an hour ago, realized I forgot to include the customer appreciation gift (5 free dvdr's or $5 off a bulk pack), cancelled, and reordered just now.

I have one of these + 5dvd's coming to me hopefully by the weekend.

Yay! :D

Goddamn it...last night my first order had already been verified and had moved to step 2 of 5...being prepared at warehouse. That was after a half hour.

Now after 8hours on my second order, it's still on step 1. :eek:

as soon as they add the ability for DL -R, i'll be getting one.

just got this email from newegg:

:please accept our deepest apologies for your recent inconvenience. We regret to inform you :that one or more of your packages have been delayed, as a result of a mechanical problem :within a warehouse. Please know that this is not a standard operating procedure for Newegg. :As of now, the issue has been resolved and you can expect to receive your future orders with :the same speed and processing that Newegg is acclaimed for.
:
:
:
:For the inconvenience of this unfortunate delay, please accept a small gift from Newegg as a :token our appreciation for your continued patience in this matter. Feel free to check your :Order Status within the next few days for further details.

wonder what i get? :eek:

Sounds like a belt broke or something and they couldn't get any packages out of the plant or something... Got to love newegg for taking care of it's customers though.

carpenn said:
just got this email from newegg:

:please accept our deepest apologies for your recent inconvenience. We regret to inform you :that one or more of your packages have been delayed, as a result of a mechanical problem :within a warehouse. Please know that this is not a standard operating procedure for Newegg. :As of now, the issue has been resolved and you can expect to receive your future orders with :the same speed and processing that Newegg is acclaimed for.
:
:
:
:For the inconvenience of this unfortunate delay, please accept a small gift from Newegg as a :token our appreciation for your continued patience in this matter. Feel free to check your :Order Status within the next few days for further details.

wonder what i get? :eek:
Damn newegg rocks. What'd you get?

I think mine is gonna be here today! Its at the "destination location" or whatever. meaning its gonna be put on the truck and sent out for delivery in about an hour. god i love newegg and fedex. free shipping and its here in 2 days!

well its finally time for me to buy a dvd burner and i figure this is a pretty good deal. finally i can get those multiple seasons of scrubs of my computer and start ordering netflix :D

Does anyone recommend a certain type of media for this drive? I am new to it all obviously, but i've heard dvd burners are much more picky than cdr drives?

cybertron said:
well its finally time for me to buy a dvd burner and i figure this is a pretty good deal. finally i can get those multiple seasons of scrubs of my computer and start ordering netflix :D
Does anyone recommend a certain type of media for this drive? I am new to it all obviously, but i've heard dvd burners are much more picky than cdr drives?

NetFlix: down to $17.99/month
Media: Almost any, I love these NEC burners, I have a 4x and an 8x right now... they both ROCK!!
I'm using semi-generic, though fairly high quality discs called MATRIX, right now, got them from Shop4Tech.com .. I ordered about 200... paid about 40-cents/disc.
Don't use super cheap media, the paint on the top will corrode really quickly, and you'll be left with a bunch of coasters with possibly critical data on them. Spend a couple extra cents per disc, it is worth it. Cheap discs last for about a year; I want to watch a ripped DVD for several! (yeah yeah piracy is wrong blah blah blah i'll burn in hell blah blah blah)

I posted this above: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026784011&postcount=3

vbrtrmn said:
NetFlix: down to $17.99/month
Media: Almost any, I love these NEC burners, I have a 4x and an 8x right now... they both ROCK!!
I'm using semi-generic, though fairly high quality discs called MATRIX, right now, got them from Shop4Tech.com .. I ordered about 200... paid about 40-cents/disc.
Don't use super cheap media, the paint on the top will corrode really quickly, and you'll be left with a bunch of coasters with possibly critical data on them. Spend a couple extra cents per disc, it is worth it. Cheap discs last for about a year; I want to watch a ripped DVD for several! (yeah yeah piracy is wrong blah blah blah i'll burn in hell blah blah blah)

I posted this above: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026784011&postcount=3

I actually started netflix on tuesday before i saw this burner because I thought living in atlanta i would get my movies faster when when i lived in the sticks but i guess i was wrong, i'm hoping the movie is in the mail today. I got an email about the price drop since i was a customer before, so i jumped back on heh. as for burning in hell, its fine by me, i'm kind of cold actually :p

you get 5 free dvds with the drive so we'll see how those do, they look like imation or maxells or whatever with that layer on the top which i'm guessing lasts longer than cheap ones. thanks for the heads up

mines here and its very nice. put in one of the free newegg DVD-R's burned a backup, popped it in my DVD player and it worked great!

I ordered mine this morning at like 10am and Its already shipped and will be here wednesday, i cant wait :)

Got mine on Friday and was surprised when I got it... It was in the box wrapped in bubble-wrap; no box, manual, software, nothing! just a drive wrapped in bubble-wrap in a box. I thought it was interesting...

On a useful note, I've used it to make a few backups of my system stuff. Seems to work well but I'll have to wait and see.

phatrabt said:
Got mine on Friday and was surprised when I got it... It was in the box wrapped in bubble-wrap; no box, manual, software, nothing! just a drive wrapped in bubble-wrap in a box. I thought it was interesting...
That's entirely normal. You ordered an OEM drive, and that's how OEM drives come. I've bought dozens of 'em over the years, many from Newegg. You won't have a problem... ;)

Malatov said:
That's entirely normal. You ordered an OEM drive, and that's how OEM drives come. I've bought dozens of 'em over the years, many from Newegg. You won't have a problem... ;)

Yup. I belive the retail version was like another $6 and cost $4 to ship. So if you wanted a box and a few coasters, it was $10 more.

superjohnny said:
Damn newegg rocks. What'd you get?

ipackage arrived yesterday and...I didn't get anything extra or special, nor did they ship any faster... :confused:

carpenn said:
ipackage arrived yesterday and...I didn't get anything extra or special, nor did they ship any faster... :confused:
Did you check your order status to see if there was anything else there?

carpenn said:

maybe it got lost in the warehouse :D

Just got the drive but its saying it will only burn @ 4x and cdr @ 32x is there a firmware that needs to be installed or something?

*edit* nm, its the media

Ahh... but the Sony is just a relabeled Lite-On and the NEC has performed better in reviews.

The NEC doesn't sound like a small jet engine spooling up and burns 4x DVD+DL and 16x DVD-R where the Sony is 2.4x and 8x.

P.S. -- Don't forget to add $4 shipping to that $67 Sony

Back