• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Neat Lego case mod - warning ebay link inside...

cnealjr

Gawd
Joined
Aug 27, 2003
Messages
921
Well, I came across this post this morning and thought it looked cool - Lego case mod up for sale on Ebay - not my case, no affiliation, etc, but just thought you guys might like to look at a lego case project! There's a link to a worklog of sorts with more shots. (If this violates forum rules, please delete, I wasn't sure about ebay links in this part of the forum, I know they aren't allowed in Hot Deals, but was really just showing off this guy's work)...

Lego Case Mod on ebay
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I saw this post and thought I'd chime in. I made the website, purchased all the parts and am selling the case. My friend spent hours building it. We havent marked up the price at all. Sure I'd love to make a million dollars doing this but it isnt going to happen. We aren't really into the case mod scene so maybe we made some mistakes, but it was something fun to do.

Some details:
No metal supports or screws, its all held in by legos
There is a hard drive access door to add a second hard drive
The fan controller is really neat but has a ton of wires required (I wouldnt recommend it)
It looks better in person than the pictures show. The black legos are very reflective and it ruins the pictures. Plus my friend didnt have a good place to take the pictures.


In regards to the price I set, its at our cost. All purchased online (newegg.com) California 8.25% tax.
Code:
ACCES FAN GUARD| FOR 80MM FAN%           3       $1.25       $3.75
ACCES FAN GUARD| FOR 120MM FAN%          1       $1.99       $1.99
CD MS|WIN XP PRO w/SP2 %                 1       $136.99     $136.99
Subtotal                                                     $142.73
Tax                                                          $11.78
Shipping and Handling charge                                 $6.19
Amount Paid                                                  $160.70

M PANEL|ENEMAX UC-9FATR2B BK RT          1       $43.49      $43.49
Subtotal                                                     $43.49
Tax                                                          $3.59
Shipping and Handling charge                                 $4.99
Amount Paid                                                  $52.07

ACCES FAN|THBLADE 80 A1910 BL TT RT       1      $6.49       $6.49
ACCES FAN|THBLADE120 A1926 BL TT RT       1      $10.49      $10.49
POWER SUPPLY|ASPIRE ATX-MR450W SLVR       1      $49.00      $49.00
CPU AMD 64 |3000+ ATHLON 939P 90 RT       1      $155.00     $155.00
DDRAM512MB CORSAR64X64 VS512MB400 R       2      $62.67      $125.34
HD 200GB|WD 7200 WD2000JD 8MB             1      $117.19     $117.19
Subtotal                                                     $463.51
Tax                                                          $38.24
Shipping and Handling charge                                 $18.25
Amount Paid                                                  $520.00

ATI X200 PGA939 MAX-4GB MATX              1      $85.59      $85.59
GFFORCE 6600GT PCIEXPRESS                 1      $180.18     $180.18
SUBTOTAL                                                     $265.77
SALES TAX                                                    $21.93
SHIPPING                                                     $8.09
ORDER TOTAL                                                  $295.79

Purchased locally:
CD-RW/DVDROM                                                 $40
LEGOS                                                        $140


Grand Total: $1208.56
 
The seller doesnt even know what processor is in it, ahah. He says its an AthlonXP at first, then says its an Athlon64.

And 3 ghz? ehhhhh doubtful
 
TheGamerZ said:
The seller doesnt even know what processor is in it, ahah. He says its an AthlonXP at first, then says its an Athlon64.

And 3 ghz? ehhhhh doubtful

Yes, we all know AMDs dont reallly go to 3ghz, but I'm not trying to sell to you. As far as the bad categories (the athlonxp label), speak to EBAY... Its a drop down list. The links are all there to the actual parts for those who would know what they are. I spent a lot of time selecting parts that would match each other performance wise.

As far as the cpu, it was selected due to its overclocking potential and low heat, unfortunately I could not find a microatx mobo that supported overclocking. Maybe MSI will put out a new bios, maybe not. Wether the purchaser would overclock is questionable anyhow.
 
Nivram said:
They used ribbon cables too!! Blech!!! :eek: LOL

A single ribbon cable for the cdrw/dvd yes. The hard drive is sata (with extra cables running to the hard drive door and the fan controller sata connectors. If you look a few pictures further, you can see all the connections, and the ribbon cable looks just fine

http://www.poseidonguild.com/legos/ProjectOnyx/photos/photo14.php

Its kind of hard to see, but the slot that runs the cables from the bottom half of the case to the top half is very thin (less than an inch). A ribbon cable actually makes sense in this situation as it isnt obstructing any air flow and the thinness is a benefit.
 
Sup Foo! It's Apollo :p Tell Dorian and Irontaail I'll be in Cally in a couple weeks and they should email me at apallohadas@gmail.com

For all those threadcrapping because, well that's the trendy thing to do if you have a superiority complex, now and then, take a break and not be an ass.

Alot of effort goes into doing any mod outside of retarded windows and throwing a light into a case.
 
I never heard of threadcrapping until I became more active here.

Think Slashdot when someone says "windows is good."
 
Case builder here =)

I have several rounded clear IDE cables (see other case pics) but due to space limitations, and getting the cable out of the way, the flat one was much better suited to the way the case is laid out.

Vertical height is my bane building these style cases. The shorter I can make it the better, and using a rounded cable just would have been a waste.

Thing plays World of Warcraft quite nicely =)
 
Hey, ask anyone with a regular case whats the best for hiding cables, and they will tell you ribbon every time. That really is a sweet case, & a nice mid-end rig for sale. Someone will buy it, that case is too sweet :cool:

BTW, more off-topic here, Im making a Knex case, but it wont end up as good as Celandro's box there.
 
Sup Dorian :p Yari here. I woulda congratulated you on the nice design but alas im banned from the triton boards :p
 
Heya Yari! Drop on by the poseidon forums, I don't think we have you banned there *snicker*



Yeah, ribbon cables own for hiding as long as you can either fold them or tuck them behind stuff. I looooooove, I mean Looooooove the rounded chrome looking cables, but I just could not justify using one for this, even if you couldn't see it. I also have issues with the connectors on some of the rounded cables. The little plastic sleeve at the ends of them seem to want to slide up the cable making em look crappy.
 
Back
Top