RAM: 1gig OCZ PC3200 Plat Rev 2. or any other quality tccd Modules
VID: x2 Geforce 6800 ULTRA PCIE SLI/ ATI X850 XT PE
MOBO: Asus A8N SLI DELUXE/ DFI Lanparty 4/MSI Nforce 4 brand
HDD: 74 GIG Raptor X2 optional raid 0
PSU: PC Power and Cooling x510sli
SND: SB Audigy 2 ZS

Thats what I would get :p

Wait thats what i have.. well almost

i personally wouldn't get the asus board. the dfi and msi boards look like they're shaping up to be pretty awesome.

The Asus Board is very buggy. But mine isnt giving me probs. I havent tried oc thats probably why though..
:p
(cf)Eclipse said:
i personally wouldn't get the asus board. the dfi and msi boards look like they're shaping up to be pretty awesome.

jellysandwich said:
My friend's dad needs a sick computer setup. We're talking
about the fastest processor/motherboard/memory combo, with
at least 2 GBs of RAM.

What would you guys/gals suggest? (I've been out playing WoW
too much).

Oh, and budget is of no concern.

-jellysandwich

A "sick computer setup" is all going to depend on what the computer is going to be doing. We need more information here as to what it will be used for. The fastest gaming computer in the world is going to be much different from the fastest database server in the world.

And there's almost always a buget, even if it's insainly high. 10k? 15k?

With that said, I'd say dual Opterons (noticed you posted this in the AMD Processors section, so...). If you want to do some custom work on them to insure they are "sick", I'd set each up with its own phase change cooling system. Water cooling for the northbridge, hard drives, and GPU (or, if he's wants to game, etc. too, then another phase change cooler for it also). Might as well go for the full 16 GB of RAM too.

Boot drives: 4 Seagate 73GB 15,000 RPM SCSI hard drives in RAID 0 + 1
Long term data storage: 5 Seagate 7200 RPM, 400GB hard drives in RAID 5.

id say get 2-3 of those ram drives along with some huge high speed scsi drives for data backup/extended storage (i dont know the max on 15k scsi drives so....) for the absolute BEST performance.....

NOTHING can beat that.....

and grab a dual opteron 250 system with SLI and 4 GB of ram since your not budget limited

or better yet....QUAD opty 250 :p

i dont know much about optys so i cant give you a good board to go with tho...

If this is the case I would buy that super computer Deep Blue? Or somethign like that :D

It's gonna be for a massive database for his company.
Consequently, uber video/sound cards aren't necessary.

Am I right in assuming that dual/quad Opterons are
best suited for such a purpose?

-jellysandwich

jellysandwich said:
Consequently, uber video/sound cards aren't necessary.

Am I right in assuming that dual/quad Opterons are
best suited for such a purpose?

-jellysandwich

Then Dual or Quad Opteron's or Xeon's would serve that purpose best. Also you'd want to use SCSI drives if it's for a database that will be used by many people. You need many drives and redundancy in capacities and speeds not available in any other form. Ram on the other hand I'd say depending on the amount of connections and depending on the database, 4GB or more would be in order.

Phase change cooling and overclocking and all that other stuff is not needed nor recommended for a server.

I Agree on the Dual Opterons/2gig+ ram/15k scsi drives!, I thought you meant high end as in games =)

jellysandwich said:

You'd have better luck in the networking section... they typically know more about database server needs than the people in this section. Also, you will have to have a budget of some sort for us to work with - sever setups can cost anywhere from $2K to $2M, so it's important to know what his budget and specific needs are.

-SEAL

Ok, I'll give them an update when they get on and go to the networking
forum if needed.

Thanks to all for helping.

-jellysandwich

For a Server you are far far better off buying a HP Proliant or IBM Eserv than building your own.

They come with good warrantees', and can be upgraded to 4 hour on site service.. meaning if it fails, they get a tech to your office with the parts to fix it in 4 hours.

My personal preference would be for a Proliant with a GOOD SmartArray SCSI controller (one with onboard battery) run RAID 5 (or 1) for the OS, and RAID 10 for the database and another RAID 10 for the log files. Separating the database and Log files to separate arrays really speeds up SQL transations. (onboard battery does not replace a UPS, you still need a good UPS)

SQL loves RAM, so fill her up.

And get at least a Dual Xeon or Opteron, they need not be the fastest CPU's out there, but having more than 1 really helps SQL out. (one can be running a query, and the other still serving data to the users)

Don't forget Backup.. a good AIT drive will pay for itself the first time you use it to restore "must have" data. (it is not a bad idea to also backup to some "near term" storage on a couple of large hard drives as well, to be able to get the most recent data quickly, but a tape drive is a must for offsite and long term backups)

==>Lazn

Back