NDIS error

Sandman007

n00b
Howdy,
I just put my new 2.8c P4, 1 GB Kingston PC3200 HyperX DDR, on an ABIT IC7-G together and I'm having problems getting windows installed. I've only got an update version of XP so I've got to install 98 first. I can get through the installation program fine except when it goes to boot windows for the first time I get this:
Error initializing NDIS: Windows protection error. You must restart your computer."
I looked in the BIOS to see if I could disable the onboard LAN but I couldn't find it. I looked through the manual but the option wasn't where it said it was. Any idea how to go about fixing this problem?
I disabled hyper threading and everything I thought might interfere w/ 98. Any ideas on what to try now? I can load in safe mode but am unable to install my board drivers (or any other drivers for that matter) because I don't have CD-ROM support.
I suck....

I'd try running the XP install and when it says "no operating system found" I think you'll be given the opportunity of putting in your W98 CD for "verification" and then things should proceed. I think........ :rolleyes:

I'm sure I've done it before, just been a while.........

Good Luck - B.B.S.

he speaks the truth. just format and install xp directly. all it needs is to verify ownership of a previous version of windows by reading the cd. you dont have to install 98 first...

Yup,

There is no such thing as an "update" version of Windows. The only difference between the disk you have and a full version is one line of code that says to check for previous versions of Windows.

Really makes you wonder why the price difference is so damn much between the two...

Thanks fellas.
Alls good on the home front now. Except for the fact that I can't get my graphics card up and running but that is a whole other thread.

Back