NDA lifted...Socket 939 reviews surface

I got to say one thing for AMD. Congrats on not paper launching it.

Reading reviews at midnight and then waking up to find that I can buy said product says something. :)

Hey boardsportsrule, I live in South Bellevue, place called Somerset. Damn white/asian suburban neighborhood with nothing to do.

Ok back from school to join the discussion.

As xonik said, AMD does not feel the pressure to competitively price them. They are not ramping up production of Socket 939 until Q3 or Q4 of this year. Intel has no competitive chips (ok if you get a Prescott to 5GHz like a guy in Japan did you will get a very, very good pifast score).

I understand AMD's reasoning but I don't think it's very smart. Sure AMD has been the epitome of value with mostly sub-$100 offerings for many years. But I disagree on how AMD is releasing their cpu's. There is no reason not to release lower speed Socket 939 cpu's. After all only high-priced gaming OEM's with less than 1% of the market will use the A64 3800+ or FX series.

The only reason OEM's are starting to use AMD is because they now can use low-price, low-speed Socket 754 A64 2600+, A64 2800+, and A64 3000+. If AMD released lower-speed Socket 939 cpu's ~$200, I bet a lot more people will go A64 than choose or stay with their current Socket A config. AMD's strategy might end up hurting them in the end.

I'm staying with my Socket A system until an Socket 939 90nm A64 ~$200 becomes available probably by early 2005.

*sigh* spending too much time reading at overclockers.com

*sigh* spending too much time reading at overclockers.com

Careful, if you listen to Ed all the time, you may never get to upgrade. When was the last time he said buy an AMD? :p

Jonsey said:
Careful, if you listen to Ed all the time, you may never get to upgrade. When was the last time he said buy an AMD? :p

Ed Stroglio thinks AMD has the best stuff for us enthusiasts right now but the pricing just won't get good till something new comes out. By the time a Socket 939 90nm A64 becomes affordable, DDRII support will come out :rolleyes:

Ed Stroglio thinks AMD has the best stuff for us enthusiasts right now but the pricing just won't get good till something new comes out.

I've been reading overclockers.com for awhile now, and I strongly suspect that Ed likes to say unpopular things just to stir things up. (His impossible to read Peer-to-Peer music trading diatribes, for example). He also says the same thing over and over again, and his analogies are often a stretch.

He is also often right. I agree that AMD's prices are just too high on their new products. Either the market will correct them (when no one buys the sky-high priced hardware) or those of us that are cheap will settle for second rate rigs. I also agree that AMD is missing a chance to really clobber Intel while they are down.

Just an odd thing..

Newegg is selling those 939 chips.. However I don't see any 939 boards.. Good job on encouraging competition for now..

Kyle, can you comment on the agp/pci lock feature on that mobo you are testing?

I agree that AMD's prices are just too high on their new products.

I recall Ed chatising AMD for not selling their processors at high enough prices some time ago. Now that they get their ASPs up, they're too expensive. :confused:

I don't think Ed will shut up until he gets a $100 Athlon 64 4000+ that overclocks to 16GHz on air and composes symphonies in it's spare time. Even then, there will be some flaw.
"Why, it barely hot enough to cook my oatmeal! Lame!"

Personally I wish processors came free with $10 movie tickets to crappy films, but since the top-end AMD processor is still less expensive than the 1GHZ athlon classic was on it's introduction (without adjusting for inflation), I don't think I have any room to bitch about it really.

Until Intel can ship competitive chips AMD can charge and will charge whatever they think they can get. We can shell out $500 for a 3500+ 939 chip now, or wait a month to see if Intel can drop the prices on their (competitive where it counts) Xeon, whoops, I mean "EE" chips, or intro a new Prescott stepping to go with the "Prescott-optimized" 915 chipset.

Bigjohns97 said:
Kyle, can you comment on the agp/pci lock feature on that mobo you are testing?

What is your question? Fire away, NDA is over. :D

Koz said:
Well when they have a 3800+ system and they're already beating the 3.4C/E at its price point, any higher speeds and they have no competition at all. Why level the prices when they aren't equal in performance. the 3.4C and E are still more expensive than the 3400+.

true.dat!

Hey Kyle, do you have rough ballpark eta of when (nvidia/via) 939 will see PCI-E?

Vagrant Zero said:
What's the point of launching the new cpus when there are no mainboards to support it?

Well, think of it this way: what if the motherboards came out first? Then you'd be asking where's the CPUs to go with the motherboards.

Coordinating massive same-day releases probably isn't an easy thing to do. I think only Intel does that regularly (since they make their own motherboards as well).

Well same day is unrealstic, but 939 mobos won't be out til end of this month; early next month.

Surly said:
Hey Kyle, do you have rough ballpark eta of when (nvidia/via) 939 will see PCI-E?

I think you will start seeing them in July, but I dont think we will see retail parts until late as september....maybe August.

boardsportsrule said:
Kyle, on the agp/pci dividers, is it locked, or division, if dividing, waht are the options?

The NF3 and K8T800Pros I have worked with both have the ability to lock them to spec. There are some other options in there as well, but I have not used or verified them.

I have had the NF3 up to 300 FSB and I am working on the ABIT KV8 now that is K8T800Pro. It is running at 270 and I have not found the ceiling yet with a 3000+. It looks as though 754 ping CPUs may be the enthusiast way to go.

Vagrant Zero said:
Well same day is unrealstic, but 939 mobos won't be out til end of this month; early next month.

I have not seen a SOLID 939 pin mother board yet. I think we are at least a month out if things go right. I personally and not dropping the $$ for the CPU to go in it anyway at $500 up...

i can't believe the price.
I'm waiting to upgrade since january 2004 damnit!!!
Everyone told me to wait for Socket 939 and now that its finnaly out it cost WAY too much to justify buying it.

Supply and Demand......

Guys, come August we should start seeing the prices trickel down.......

MAN, I I feel slow, I mean my rig is just slow now, painful man. :(

YOUR rig is slow?! Mine doesn't deserve to be mentioned on the [Hard]Forums... Scared yet? :(

Fine. Pentium 3 750 MHrz with 256 MB of Ultra-Slow PC100 RAM.

Back