NCQ Controls for Maxtor DiamondMax 10

K

kevdoggx

Guest
How do I turn NCQ on or off with this drive? I'm assuming it's a BIOS option but I didn't see anything in there.

Not sure what I would've set it to otherwise anyways, since it seems to almost be slower with it enabled (load times, etc).
 
Turn it off in the device manager under IDE/SCSI controllers. I'm assuming you are using the nForce drivers for your board, there is an NCQ checkbox you can uncheck /check to disable/enable NCQ.

-E
 
It was my understanding that NCQ needed to be enabled/disabled before the hdd was formatted and if you wanted to change it again you needed to reformat.

If it's as easy as you say that will be awesome since I can pick which works better.

Please confirm that I interpreted this correctly and thank you for your response!
 
Now that I'm home from work and looking through the device mgr, I don't see the setting that you are talking about...

Could you walk me through it one time quick please?

Thanks
 
Look at the IDE/SCSI branch of the device manager and check the nForce SATA driver. When you open the properties tab, you should see something like either CH0, CH1, or Port0 Port1. There is a check box for NCQ. Uncheck/Check at will...

BTW, you did install the drivers for your motherboard, correct? Just checking...


-E
 
I don't have a IDE/SCSI branch in device mgr. I do have a IDE ATA/ATAPI branch, but there's no nForce SATA driver in there, just the different channels and I don't see anything about NCQ under any of them.
 
Open device manager, expand the ATA/ATAPI tree, click on "Nvidia nForce4 ADMA Controller" and open properties, Click primary channel tab and you will see a checkmark box "Enable Command Queueing" Uncheck or check this box.

-E
 
Back
Top