NCIX.com Had Offered Me...

Karant

Gawd
Alright, so I had back-ordered an Intel E8400 to pair up with my ASUS Maximus Formula from NCIX.com approximately 3 - 4 weeks ago. Only to shortly find out soon after that only until late April will NCIX.com receive their next shipment. However, this afternoon I had been offered an exclusive offer to receive an Intel Xeon 3110 instead, which would be shipped this evening. So being the impatient kid I am, I gave a quick browse through the [H] forums and had decided to take advantage of the order and instead take the Xeon 3110. Did I make a mistake? Will I be dissapointed coming from an E4300? Thanks!

Assuming your motherboard gets along with the chip you'll be fine. However, you may find yourself sending it back in a few days. I should've just sent my X3220 (Xeon equivalent of the Q6600) back. Instead I've been through 3 different motherboards trying to find something with SLI support that will get along with it. Hopefully the X3110 will be less trouble for you.

The E3110 is identical to the E8400 so you should be quite happy.

No it's not. It uses different microcode to indentify itself, which may result in compatibility problems with desktop boards, which almost never officially support Xeons. Desktop chips for desktop boards, server chips for server boards.

No it's not. It uses different microcode to indentify itself, which may result in compatibility problems with desktop boards, which almost never officially support Xeons. Desktop chips for desktop boards, server chips for server boards.
How about as far as compatiability with the ASUS Maximus Formula / X38 chipset is? Thanks!

How about as far as compatiability with the ASUS Maximus Formula / X38 chipset is? Thanks!

Can't be a help either way, as I've only worked with P35s and various iterations of Nvidia's 680i chipset, and only with the Xeons on the 680is.

Can't be a help either way, as I've only worked with P35s and various iterations of Nvidia's 680i chipset, and only with the Xeons on the 680is.

Karant, trust me ... the E3110 is AS GOOD AS e8400 .. nice deal you got there...
it will not be incompatible with your mobo.. it will work just fine..

take a look at :

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178255

many folks are showing their E3110 off there...

once again.. it will work just fine ... take a look at your mobo's website, it might even list it there..

good luck and have fun !! ;)

Edit :

Just for the record, look at his CPU-Z .. he is using the Asus Maximus Formula

Test with air, comparo to E8500....

E8500 Vcore 1.584V

screenshot026ig2.jpg

screenshot027la4.jpg

E3110 Vcore 1.60V

screenshot252me8.jpg

screenshot253pi0.jpg

Anyone that tells you it'll work and hasn't used the same chip in the same board is making a completely baseless claim.

Good luck, certainly.

I just edit my post silent-circuit..

you are just assuming ... you have no facts..

Are the Xeons multiplier unlocked up/down or just down? That would make a difference. Still, its basically identical just different branding. 45nm, 775, etc.

Xeons do not have unlocked multipliers (only down).

@ silent-circuit: What experience do you have with them NOT working? For most applications I've seen they seem to be painlessly interchangeable, and problems seem to be the exception, not the rule (though they do occur).

I've tried both an E8400 as well as a E3110 in a Gigabyte DS3R and both worked wonderfully, despite me not having done any crazy benching. The voltage on the E3110 was actually lower also. Took the e3110 for myself and gave the e8400 to my mom :p.

take it..worst case scenario? it doesn't work and you return it for a refund within 30 days.

Xeons do not have unlocked multipliers (only down).

@ silent-circuit: What experience do you have with them NOT working? For most applications I've seen they seem to be painlessly interchangeable, and problems seem to be the exception, not the rule (though they do occur).

I own an X3220 (Q6600 "equivalent"). I've been through 3 boards now trying to get it to play nice.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on a E3110 working on an Abit IP35-E? I am trying to get a build completed next week, and the only other alternative to an E8400 seems to be waiting until the next batch expected for March 31st.

I own an X3220 (Q6600 "equivalent"). I've been through 3 boards now trying to get it to play nice.

Which boards? I have used xeon 3060s and X3210s in Asus P5K-Deluxe, P5K Premium, Abit IP35 Pro, Biostar P965 (forgot the model), DFI RD600, DFI Blood Iron, Gigabyte P965 DS3, DFI P965 Infinity, DFI x975 Infinity, DFI LP LT X38 T2R, eVGA 680i, and I am currently running the E3110 on a DFI LP LT P35 T2R and I have never had a problem, ever. I did need a BIOS update on the Blood Iron and DFI LP LT P35 T2R to run the 45nm chips.

So unless your are using Xeons on $50 boards from PChips (or similar) then there must be something else going on.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on a E3110 working on an Abit IP35-E? I am trying to get a build completed next week, and the only other alternative to an E8400 seems to be waiting until the next batch expected for March 31st.

Worked like a charm on an IP35Pro so I can't believe it won't.

Alright, great! I got it the day after the original-post. I have been getting 12,500 in 3DMark06 (@ stock everything) with the specs below, is this a little low? Also, does anyone have any guides/tips for overclocking with Maximus Formula / Xeon's? Thanks alot!

lots of info to be had via these guys:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

i wouldn't worry about whether it pertains to an 8400 or the xeon..if it booted fine, then that board sees it as what you want it to be seen as.

thinking of that by the way..can you do a cpu-z screenshot of the main page of it? curious what it looks like.

Alright, thanks! Got it up to 3.9 GHz with ease, and my Corsair XM2 to 866, however my system fails overclock as soon as I lower the timings on the memory by one notch... what is up!?

what were you running the memory at..and what are you trying to run it at..and have you tried boosting your memory voltage from default? and yeah, i understand your concern..that board should do 500+ easy

just to let anyone who is wondering know, the xeon e3110 has been added to the P5K's supported cpu's list. mine arrives tuesday or wendsday :)

Well, all I can say now is I'm glad I've joined the Xeon family! One kickin' processor I got right here. I'd like to have the memory timings atleast 4-4-4-12 and the frequency boosted a fair bit, though I haven't yet made any more attempts at overclocking the memory anymore or lowering the timings, as I was wondering if there any crucial features / settings I need to disable / enable / optimize for tweaking my memory? Thanks! (I'm running at stock voltage)

its a server chip soo in all cases cross your fingers that it can be compatible with your desktop mobo

Which boards? ...
So unless your are using Xeons on $50 boards from PChips (or similar) then there must be something else going on.

...Instead I've been through 3 different motherboards trying to find something with SLI support that will get along with it. Hopefully the X3110 will be less trouble for you.

Can't be a help either way, as I've only worked with ... the Xeons on the 680is.

IIRC, he had an XFX 680i LT, Abit IN9 32X-MAX, and now has an MSI P7N Diamond (though I may be missing a previous board). Far from $50 PC Chips/ECS/Machspeed boards.

As s-c said in his first reply, it may/should work, but if not, just return it.

Desktop chips for desktop boards, server chips for server boards.

Good luck finding a 775 server board.

its a server chip soo in all cases cross your fingers that it can be compatible with your desktop mobo

While you are less likely to have it work with your board, it is still a 775 desktop chip. It's a rebranded E8400 (with a microcode change) likely intended for third party manufacturers to sell cheap "Xeon systems" to businesses. You won't find many companies explicitly supporting this chip on their motherboards, but in most cases for high end boards people have reported success.

--works with DFI LP DK P35

IIRC, he had an XFX 680i LT, Abit IN9 32X-MAX, and now has an MSI P7N Diamond (though I may be missing a previous board). Far from $50 PC Chips/ECS/Machspeed boards.

As s-c said in his first reply, it may/should work, but if not, just return it.

An EVGA 680i SE (known to hate quads, so no surprise there), then a XFX 680i LT (refused to do much of anything with it, but known to work well with Q6600s), then an Abit IN9-32X MAX (booted fine, OCed, but I was disappointed with OC results -- not a compatibility problem) and soon a MSI P7N Diamond, which should be what I stay with if what I'm reading and hearing from Mark and others is any indication. We'll know some time this weekend.

So no, no $50 boards. a $170 board, a $150 board, a $120 (originally $300+) board, and now a $260 board. I'm not going the 'cheap' route, just having some really poor luck. ;)

I haven't encountered a single compatiability issue so far, even on the default BIOS that came with the board the CPU ran fully.

Alright, great! I got it the day after the original-post. I have been getting 12,500 in 3DMark06 (@ stock everything) with the specs below, is this a little low? Also, does anyone have any guides/tips for overclocking with Maximus Formula / Xeon's? Thanks alot!

looks about right to me, i get 12,600 with the rig in my sig.

Back