NCASE M1 v3 Build Thread

Looks great. Did you really need to use that 24pin cable extension? Looks like you could do without.

Looks great. Did you really need to use that 24pin cable extension? Looks like you could do without.

Don't necessary need it but without the extension, it had to be run along the shortest path possible because it barely reaches the 24 pin header on the mobo. Basically covered the dynatron cooler, so I'm assuming it would of been just short now that I am using the bigger noctua. I previously had 500SFX-L from silverstone and the 24 pin couldn't reach the board so I wasn't taking any chances.

Also big shout out to that noctua cooler, installed it really quick and was super simple. Way easier than a NHD15. The new hex screw (ball thingy) it uses is dope.

Really slick. Nice job.

Thanks!

I am highly enamored with the NCase M1 and have ordered one (V3) to get in the queue. I can re-purpose many components from my current mATX mid-tower build (Corsair 450D). I would run an i7 4790K on an Impact VII motherboard. GPU would be a Titan X. PSU would be Silverstone SX600G. Two Samsung 850 SSD's would be mounted somewhere. I do not plan on overclocking the CPU or GPU. Primary uses are 1440P and 4K gaming plus light productivity. I'm thinking of going with the Cooler Master 240L V2 to cool the CPU. I like this option as I can expand it later to water cool the GPU, if necessary. I have a couple of questions:

1. Any fitment issues with the 240L V2 in the M1? If anyone has pics of a 240L mounted in the M1 I would love to see them.
2. Would this setup provide adequate cooling in the case (240L cooling CPU and stock blower-style cooler for Titan X)?
3. Have there been any issues reported running the Titan X in the M1?
4. Could I get by with an air cooler on the 4790K (like a Noctua NH-L12) and stock cooling on Titan X if no overclocking is planned?

Thanks so much!

Tom

Last edited:
Just received my ncase m1 v3, just got to order the rest of it.

It is so little, it feel crazy little when I put next to my NZXT old rig...

A Powerful Gaming\Workstation Build

So I Finally found time to meticulously edit and post my build. I had posted earlier on this thread for some help; Thanks to everyone for the help and support!

149150.368807e3595d3a021f61e02f8ca0149b.2279417dac3de549a6927495901efffb.1600.jpg

149150.78a08f0ec9539ada3daccedc68100ec6.42a7b21768d879878516006c62125437.1600.jpg

149150.6c462d528ded174f589c06530952cdca.7831e19804ab65d8b9d35978b9c3b078.1600.jpg

149150.1b8b05f60ea47a51f7ce1bc5ae41929d.f488764d89e6063ebb91b1d014b18fa3.1600.jpg

149150.7c117a889224f988174eafcea7f14e34.4887b8f242f082a60235b7b55d351941.1600.jpg

Check out a detailed article with lots of pictures at my personal website: http://harshadbari.com/great-indian-ncase-m1/

My full Flickr Gallery: https://flic.kr/s/aHskgsP9S5

A Big Thanks to the hardforum community again! And to @Necere @Wahaha360

ok, all of my parts are one their way for my V3 build:

Case:
NCASE M1 v3 Silver (With ODD)
Power Supply: Silverstone Tek SX500-LG
CPU Cooler: Cryorig C1
Motherboard: ASUS Impact Vii
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0
Hard Disk: 2 x Samsung 850 500gb SSD
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64

Hi, I'm about to order some stuff and build NCASE M1 set too (V4).
Thus I would like to ask, how well does it fit together, SilverStone SX500-LG and GTX 980? Isn't there any any collision or tension between PSU cables and GPU?
Also is 500W enough for GTX 980 (especially OCed like yours)?
The last one, what's the drawback of ODD mount if any? I don't need ODD but I wouldn't mind if that's extra at 'no cost'.

Hi, I'm about to order some stuff and build NCASE M1 set too (V4).
Thus I would like to ask, how well does it fit together, SilverStone SX500-LG and GTX 980? Isn't there any any collision or tension between PSU cables and GPU?
Also is 500W enough for GTX 980 (especially OCed like yours)?
The last one, what's the drawback of ODD mount if any? I don't need ODD but I wouldn't mind if that's extra at 'no cost'.

Got my V4 built last week using a the SX500-L and a Titan X. No issue with cable clearance between the PSU and GPU, it's tight but it doesn't push down on the card to cause any stress.

500W is more than enough for my 4790K and Titan X so it should take a 980 without any problems.

Got my V4 built last week using a the SX500-L and a Titan X. No issue with cable clearance between the PSU and GPU, it's tight but it doesn't push down on the card to cause any stress.

I'm glad to hear that, thanks :)
Could you post a photo perhaps (or link if you already have)?

500W is more than enough for my 4790K and Titan X so it should take a 980 without any problems.

That's a bit surprising to be honest. I was afraid that these GTXs like 970 or 980 may need more than 500W. Titan X and i7, can you really hit it with a heavy load and it stays robust and stable?

BTW. what's the deal with ODD mount, is there any drawback of having such?

I'm glad to hear that, thanks :)
Could you post a photo perhaps (or link if you already have)?

That's a bit surprising to be honest. I was afraid that these GTXs like 970 or 980 may need more than 500W. Titan X and i7, can you really hit it with a heavy load and it stays robust and stable?

I will try get some photos later.

The total system power draw is <360W with an i7 and Titan X under load so there's plenty of headroom if you want to overclock. The Maxwell chips are alot more power efficient and I couldn't imagine a 980 needing anymore than a 500W PSU.

The ODD isn't free. Getting a front panel with the cut out is a no cost alternative to a front panel without it. You still need to buy the ODD itself.

Also, its in a spot where two SSDs can fit.

I'm running a GTX980 and a Sandy Bridge Xeon (effectively a mid-range i7), plus a 3.5" HDD and a slim ODD, on a 300W SFX supply, with no stability issues.

Thanks for replies! That's helpful.

Also, its in a spot where two SSDs can fit.
All right, but is it like I can still make a decision to mount either SSDs or ODD while having a case version with a SLOT? Perhaps it's the opposite, having a slot means that SSDs option is no longer there?
That's the last missing bit of info I would appreciate before placing an order. I don't need ODD but I don't mind having such option either.

I'm running a GTX980 and a Sandy Bridge Xeon (effectively a mid-range i7), plus a 3.5" HDD and a slim ODD, on a 300W SFX supply, with no stability issues.
Nice, that's impressive. I wouldn't tell that's possible. I might have been affected by PSU manufacturers marketing :rolleyes:
Have you tried running some load tests, like prime95, superpi, furmark?
Possibly all at once :cool:

Last edited:
The only difference between the version with ODD slot and the one without is the slot on the top panel. Everything else is identical, and both versions still include the actual mounting bracket for a slim slot-load optical drive. It's just inaccessible on the non-ODD version. What this also means is that it's trivial to turn a non-ODD version into the ODD version (or vice-versa) by getting a second top panel of the other type.

As far as drive mounting, the space behind the front panel can be used for either a slim optical or a 2.5" drive, but not both. There is also a separate 2.5" drive mount on the inside front, which is unaffected by front optical or drive use. See this image for an example of a slim ODD + 2.5" drives (2 drives via the stacking brackets) on the inside front. Here's an example of a 2.5" drive in place of the ODD.

Thanks a lot Necere.
That's exactly the explanation I've been looking for :)

I'm about to start steady with regular stock air coolers.
I would like to have the config open for liquid cooling though.
Thus I think about possible setups. I believe there is no space left for any 2.5 drive on the inside front with a setup like on the 2nd example? I mean, with double-fan water cooler.

BTW. What do you think about such a GPU cooling for the M1 case?
I see no GTX 980 with it, even announcement. GTX 970 must have not yet hit the market either.

I would like to have the config open for liquid cooling though.
Thus I think about possible setups. I believe there is no space left for any 2.5 drive on the inside front with a setup like on the 2nd example? I mean, with double-fan water cooler.
Generally speaking, if the radiator is less than about 285mm long there's room enough for at least one 2.5" drive on the inside front.

BTW. What do you think about such a GPU cooling for the M1 case?
Blower cards are what I recommend for the M1 in most circumstances, but they are often louder than axial fan cards under load. That particular card has a smaller diameter blower than most, and generally speaking smaller fans are louder than larger ones. I'd wait for reviews on it, but TBH it very likely won't beat the nvidia reference Titan cooler as far as performance:noise.

Generally speaking, if the radiator is less than about 285mm long there's room enough for at least one 2.5" drive on the inside front.

Blower cards are what I recommend for the M1 in most circumstances, but they are often louder than axial fan cards under load. That particular card has a smaller diameter blower than most, and generally speaking smaller fans are louder than larger ones. I'd wait for reviews on it, but TBH it very likely won't beat the nvidia reference Titan cooler as far as performance:noise.

With an nvidia reference cooler, say on a titan x, does mounting a fan on the bottom improve anything, or does the blower fan itself suck up more than enough air?

With an nvidia reference cooler, say on a titan x, does mounting a fan on the bottom improve anything, or does the blower fan itself suck up more than enough air?

I had 2 fans sitting under my Titan X originally but apart from making additional noise, it didn't help with temps at all. The issue with the Nvidia reference coolers is that it has a target temperature, in my case 82/83c, and it would vary it's own fan to keep it around that under load. So no matter how many fans you have blowing onto it, it would still be 83c unless you change the profiles.

It won't do anything for GPU temps, but it can help with dust control if the fan is filtered. Without the fan the GPU just draws from the ambient air in the bottom of the case, which will in turn come in from every direction. Having a fan on the bottom under the GPU intake sets up a dedicated filtered air supply for the GPU.

An additional fan would only help if it were ducted directly into the GPU cooler input (i.e. onto the radial fan intake). The danger here is if you have too much airflow, and the GPU remains cool enough that the board controller does not need to try spinning up the GPU radial fan, that airflow could cause the fan to spin on it's own and act as a generator rather than a motor and shoot voltage back up to the motor driver, potentially damaging it. Solutions could be: keeping airflow to a 'sweet spot' where the GPU fan keeps spinning but is effective freewheeling; disconnecting the internal radial fan and relying entirely on the external ducted fan (may mean running the fan at a constant speed high enough to cool under max load but excessive at idle); disconnect the radial fan and connect the external fan, which would only work if the add-on fan had roughly the same characteristics as the radial fan.

In general though, extra airflow over a blower cooler will make little difference uneless there is some impediment to card airflow already (e.g. closely spaced cards in SLI).

Thanks for the answer. That's what I thought (and read as well) about blower-cooled GPUs in ncase m1. And I'll keep space for hdd on the rear bottom :)

In this given card I posted, perhaps blower is smaller but it has intake on both sides of the card. Perhaps this lets it have lower RPM. I agree it would be better to see any review first. I still can't see it being sold though.
Perhaps I'll get this one then MSI GTX 980 4GD5 OCV1. It has fair price on Amazon, no reviews though. Not sure is it a good choice and would it fit?

Last edited:
I was so enamored with harshads pictures that i decided to build one myself.
I've read and reread almost all ncase m1 related material that i could find but i still dont want to take any chances... Figured you guys might help me with my build.

My current case is a monstrous but very silent Corsair Obsidian 550d. I love how quiet it is and thats still my priority, hopefully that's achievable with the M1.

Msi/asus z170 mobo
I7 6700k
512gb samsung evo m.2 sata (pcie is expensive)
Silverstone 500w sfx l
Gtx 980
Cpu cooler... i prefer air coolers but i cant find any Noctua NH-C12P SE14

I need suggestions for my video card and cpu cooler

Im also planning to mount 2 noctua f12 at the bottom of the case.

Thanks

That was my next question. ;) Thanks.
Just pay particular attention to the socket support, since that board uses the narrow ILM style socket which is normally only used in servers. You'll need a cooler that has at least an adapter bracket for it.

Is anyone tested Be quiet! Dark Rock TF with Ncase? And also how HyperX Predator fits inside? RAM's are about 55mm high. Cooler is still open.

I want pics etc.

i just swapped my original build from a Raijintek Metis to the M1. my temps were a little too hot in the summer 48-54 idle, 79-88 load). Received the M1 last week, swapped everything over (also added another Noctua NF-F12 fan and another Noctua 92mm fan for exhaust, the temps dropped in the M1 but I still wasn't satisfied, the temps at load still ran a little too hot for my liking. two days later i ended up buying a corsair h100i gtx (amazon had free same day delivery&#8230;.. amazing) the temps are still in the same area on idle 39-49, but so far the cpu stays right around 80 at load.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L 46.4 CFM Corsair h100i GTX
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: 2 Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drives
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card
Case: RAIJINTEK Metis (Silver) Mini ITX Tower Case N-Case M1 v4 (silver)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: 2 Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan

I searched and searched and cannot seem to find if NH-C14 (older version) can be installed along with full size ATX power supply into M1 V3? Sorry if this has been asked already but read through 4 threads, 50+ pages and could not find a definite "yes/no".
Thanks for the help!:confused:

I searched and searched and cannot seem to find if NH-C14 (older version) can be installed along with full size ATX power supply into M1 V3? Sorry if this has been asked already but read through 4 threads, 50+ pages and could not find a definite "yes/no".
Thanks for the help!:confused:

No, it cannot. The heatsink will overlap an SFX PSU somewhat, by about a cm. It's just tall enough to clear.

No, it cannot. The heatsink will overlap an SFX PSU somewhat, by about a cm. It's just tall enough to clear.
I think you may have misunderstood the question. The NH-C14 will indeed fit with an ATX PSU. I don't have a photo, but here it is in sketchup:

This is exactly the config I was envisioning. Sounds like this is a go a then? Thank you for all the help!

I think you may have misunderstood the question. The NH-C14 will indeed fit with an ATX PSU. I don't have a photo, but here it is in sketchup:

This is exactly the config I was envisioning. Sounds like this is a go a then? Thank you for all the help!
Sure, just make sure the motherboard supports the cooler (i.e., CPU socket not too high or too low). The Google docs spreadsheet covers compatibility with a number of different boards.

Ah, I didn't know the ATX orientation was that way. TIL, thanks!
Yeah, and in fact it's the only orientation that an ATX PSU will fit.

I know that it's recommended to use blower style cards, but aren't blower style cards generally reference ones ie. loud and inefficient at cooling?

If noise is my main concern (on the desk next to me), should I be sticking to blower style cards or aftermarket?

I know that it's recommended to use blower style cards, but aren't blower style cards generally reference ones ie. loud and inefficient at cooling?
It depends on the card.

Nvidia's NVTTM and NVTTM-like (same shroud and fan, but heatpipes instead of vapour chamber) generally perform very well in terms of temperature and noise. 'OEM' non-reference blowers are in generally louder and hotter (because they're built down to a price rather than to show off).
AMD's reference blowers have been infamously Not Great.
There used to be several aftermarket 'blower' coolers available, but I haven't seen any on the market for some time.

Blower coolers are very efficient, but that doesn't always mean 'quiet'.

'Open' coolers can use larger, slower and quieter fans to move the same volume of air. But because they just move that air around rather than ejecting it fro mthe case, they need extra help to avoid circulating hot air through the heatsink and losing their temperature and fan-speed advantage.This help can either be from having case fans cycle fresh air around the card, or by mechanical design of the case (e.g. ducting air into the card's fans and then out of the case away from the intakes.

In the Ncase M1, with the 'top' of the GPU's cooler generally one PCIe slot away from the bottom of the case, and with no case fans to air air movement, an 'open' cooler will end up circulating its own hot air exhaust and warming up (and spinning up its fans) more than a good blower will.

You best options for a quiet card are:
- Use a good blower cooler, which in this case pretty much means 'track down a card with an NVTTM variant'.
- Use an 'open' cooler, flipping the fans from 'intake' to 'exhaust', and duct their output out of the bottom of the case.
- Use and 'open' cooler, with enough space to add a pair of fans to the bottom to circulate airflow. This will be louder than the previous method (because you're adding fans, so adding noise) but avoids modifying your cooler and making custom ducts.

That cat is 5 lbs. She's tiny.

The interior until I get the 2011v3 narrow bracket for the h75... and also the h75 itself. Not shown are the two sp120 quiet fans on the side of the case.

Mobo: Asrock x99e-itx/ac
Processor: i7-5820k
Gpu: 980ti reference
Ram: 2x8gb Corsair vengeance ddr4
Storage: 256gb Samsung sm951 m.2 ssd, 500gb Samsung 840 evo ssd, 3tb Western Digital Red.
PSU: 500w Silverstone sfx-l

Changes in the future:
Corsair h75 aio cpu cooler
Corsair hg10 nv980 (whenever it is released) + h75
Corsair sf600 psu

Last edited:
Nice build! How are your temps and noise with the h75 and the reference 980 ti? I'm especially curious as you've got that 3.5 in HDD beneath the video card.

Reference 980ti throttles at 81c, never goes above that. H75 on the cpu gives me 65c in BF4 multiplayer, everything maxed. In the asus stress test, the cpu with h75 gets to 80c.

It's running a mild 3.8ghz overclock.

The loudest component is the gpu at full load by a large margin, but objectively it's not super loud. But that's why I want to liquid cool it too.

Last edited:
hnnng

I wish I had the cash to splash on the X99 board and associated components.

Cool build.

Back