NCASE M1 v3 Build Thread

StoicG19

n00b
Case: NCASE M1 v3 Silver (no ODD)
Power Supply: Silverstone Tek ST45SF-G
PSU Cables: Silverstone Tek PP05-E Short Flexible Cable Kit
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C1 w/ CRYORIG XT140 (non-slim) PWM Fan
Case Fans: (2) NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 120mm Fan, (1) Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PE-1 92mm Fan (not installed yet)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Impact
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
Memory: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL11
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 (reference)
Hard Disk: Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Professional 64
Other: Moddiy Flexible 20-Pin USB 3.0 Adapter (not installed yet and will not be needed with a different CPU cooler)

Notes
I currently have the CPU fan set to max RPM and I have disabled Turbo Mode to lower temps even further as I don't feel the extra 400MHz is necessary. Because of the CPU cooler size, I had to mount the SFX PSU to the ATX PSU mount point using the adapter plate that came with the PSU.

Temps
CPU Idle Temp: 32-34C
GPU Idle Temp: 30-34C

Changes
I plan to make some changes to try and maximize cooling efficiency and airflow in the case. Those changes include swapping the CRYORIG C1 with ID-Cooling's new IS-VC45 which has a 92mm x 92mm footprint. Once I do that, I will be able to move the PSU back to the default SFX mount point, opening up a spot to add another 120mm fan to the side panel. I will also add a second 120mm fan to the bottom of the case, below the GPU. The ASUS M7I only has three fan headers so I will need to figure out what is necessary to power an additional fan. Cables also need to be tucked and tidy'd. I also may try to change out the PSU for the 500W SFX-L version if someone figures out a way to make it fit with a full length GPU, whether it be with a different cable set or adapters.

Pictures

MeM5vU9.jpg

B7kWQ0x.jpg

zRu9OeU.jpg

yPLYmxQ.jpg

ZyQBgkW.jpg

f6N5OmX.jpg

2Q89zFN.jpg

4pLN00B.jpg

iwSji4a.jpg

IrVIUy7.jpg

I am happy to answer any questions you have and/or take additional pictures. Feel free to request and I'll do my best to accommodate.

Last edited:
Looks great! What kind of temps are you getting on the 980 under load? I've never had a blower cooler, what are the noise levels like?

Looks great! What kind of temps are you getting on the 980 under load? I've never had a blower cooler, what are the noise levels like?

Thanks! The hottest I've had the 980 up to is high 70s (celcius). I can't really tell how much noise the 980 is producing. It doesn't seem loud, but compared to my old machine (four 180mm silverstone air penetrators), this new one is silent.

So, my first post. After months of stalking on this forums in the dark, I need some light. :D
I need some inputs for setting up the cooling components in the case. Appreciate if anybody gives me some pointers. This is my first SFF build.

Components already bought in Green. Components yet to buy in Blue.

Case: NCASE M1 v3 Silver (With ODD)
Power Supply: Silverstone Tek SX600-G
PSU Cables: Silverstone Tek PP05-E Short Flexible Flat Cable Kit
CPU Cooler: Still deciding... :confused: Want to go for Corsair H100i
Fans: (2)Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 71.7 CFM 120mm (1) Noctua NF-A9 PWM 46.4 CFM 92mm
Motherboard: ASUS Z97I-Plus (On its way)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Hard Disk: (1) Kingston SSDNow 240GB M.2-2280 SSD (2) Crucial M4 512GB SSD
Optical Drive: Panasonic UJ-265 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (On its way)
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Professional 64

Goal:
Powerful for Gaming/3d Work. Reasonably Quiet.
Plan on carrying this case with me internationally. A bit concerned about going for a water-cooled AIO. Dunno if that will be allowed to pass airport checks. Anyways planning to detach cpu cooler before travel, so its not exactly a big deal. I would still like to go for an AIO.
No overclocking Initially.

Queries:

1. Should I position the PSU with fan facing inwards or outwards?

2. Which CPU Cooler should I go for? I really want to go with Corsair H100i but I have read people having difficulties positioning the tubes inside. I don't want the tubes to kink too much.

2a. If I go with the H100i what kind of push/pull config is recommended relative to the M1?
I know its not necessary but since I'm putting so much money into this build, I want it to look cool too. I've read good opinions of putting the fans as PULL on the inside-facing part of the rad. How will the performance fare with the fans on the outside of the radiator as PUSH. (I have the Noctua Industrial 2000 pwm fans as mentioned above) I think the fans on the outside looks better :cool: Maybe I can put some dust filters to minimize dust.

3. With the Corsair H100i Rad, will I be able to add a 92mm fan on the rear? (I already have a NF-A9 PWM fan for this)

4. Since I will have the 2 fans that came with the H100i as extras, Im planning to put them on the bottom of the case. Is this an OK idea? If yes, should I put them as intake/exhaust? I may just put one and use the other space for an extra HDD.

I am building this case next week since I will have all the components by the end of this week. I'll post pictures later at that time.

Again, appreciate any help. Cheers! :)

Note to Mod: I'm posting this here as this is a Ncase M1 V3 build thread. Let me know if I should be making a new thread for this.

Another lurker coming out of the shadows to slobber over the sexiness that is the NCASE M1. I used to post here quite a lot but I think my account was removed after something like 8 years of inactivity. Ah well.

Planning my own V3 build (should have the case in about a week) and wouldn't mind some feedback as well. I think this build has become somewhat standard for this case, but I'm still working my way through a few options:

Case: NCASE M1 V3
Power Supply: Silverstone ST45SF-G with PP05-E kit
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact
Memory: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 2x8GB
CPU: Intel i5-4690K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Graphics Card: Asus GTX 970 Mini
Hard Disk: Samsung 850-EVO 512GB
Optical Drive: None yet
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Usage: 1080p gaming, image and sound editing, stat and math processing, programming

I chose the Maximus VII Impact because I am very picky about sound quality and wanted M.2 expandability for the future. That's really it. I don't plan to overclock much if at all. I feel that a stock or mildly overclocked 4690K should run fine with a single 120mm AIO solution, which will leave the other 120mm mount free for an exhaust fan.

Due to the audio editing, I also would like the machine to be as quiet as possible when not gaming, hence the 960 Strix. I know this will exhaust hot air into the case when under gaming load, but with liquid cooling on the CPU and a 120mm exhaust above the VC, I'm hopeful that will be sufficient to vent the case without adding significant noise. It also leaves room to add another 120mm AIO solution for the VC if I ever feel the need for it.

My gaming needs are moderate: single player games such as Civ, Skyrim, Fallout, DA:I, Batman, etc. If this video card takes me through the next 3-5 years of gaming (I'm always a year or more behind), then I'm good.

Any thoughts or feedback before I start ordering up parts would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Updated some parts.

Last edited:
@ Maelwys A few things to note regarding your component selection.

Some suggestions actually:
Try to get the SX600-G instead of the ST45SF-G. From what I have read, the SX600 fares better in noise problems than the ST45SF. Less complaints than the 45.
Corsair H80i will fit your bill perfectly. Im also looking at it as an option to H100i. performance is almost at par.
Also check MSI 960. The Twin FrozR cooler has much better results than the strix series.
Lastly, regarding mobo, keep in mind the impact VII only supports PCI-E m.2 ssd (M-key). All the sata based ssds (B-key/B+M-key) are not supported by this motherboard. and Pci-e ssds are crazy expensive. I think there is only one samsung drive in the market as of now.
(This board was my first choice for the sound same as you, but sadly i'd already purchased a sata based m.2 drive so went with the Z97I-Plus)

Good luck with your case. :) Im building mine probably next week. Can't wait.

Harshad - thank you for the super fast reply. I really appreciate it! On your suggestions:

I already ordered the ST45, but if it's noisy or has issues, I won't hesitate to return it and get the 600. I also read some of those complaints about the ST45 but apparently the v2 was released in Dec 2014 and they are supposed to be better? We shall see.

I'll definitely look into the H80i - I thought the radiator might be too thick (38mm), but I'll double check the specs on the case to see. The H80i GT just came out as well but has an even thicker radiator (49mm).

I'll also look into the MSI 960. I've heard good things about the Twin FrozR coolers but never owned an MSI card so they weren't really on my radar.

I did know that the M.2. support on the Impact was PCI-e only but I've seen a lot of folks make that mistake. I don't own an M.2 drive yet though so I figured I would use an SATA drive for now (850-Evo) and get the M.2 drive later when prices have stabilized. I have a 4TB NAS for long term storage of image and audio files so 512GB is plenty for this machine.

Also, on your questions, I don't have definitive answers, but some thoughts:

1) I've read that it is better to put the PSU fan facing out so it always has fresh air.
2) I'm also curious on push/pull for my setup both for cooling capability and noise - I have some reading to do there. As for filters, the NCASE website has a link to a Google Doc that lists accessories. There are some magnetic filters that look good.
4) Everything I've read says to use the bottom fans as intakes to help cool the video card. Many people recommend ducting them direct to the card where possible.

Looks like the MSI GTX 960 won't fit the NCASE as it is 5.5" tall. Bummer. The Asus GTX 960 Strix is 4.77" tall so it does fit.

Edit: Now of course I'm thinking maybe the Asus GTX 970 Mini. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Looks like the MSI GTX 960 won't fit the NCASE as it is 5.5" tall. Bummer. The Asus GTX 960 Strix is 4.77" tall so it does fit.

Thats weird. Whats your source?
I have a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and its dimensions are 2mm higher than the 960. (I checked the msi website). The ncase google doc states that its a confirmed fit. There's also a youtube video showing it barely reaches the side panel. (Lucky me;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWtCbETCJMQ

Infact the Asus 980 seems to have a problem fitting as per the google doc. If the asus 960 strix works then thats good. Whatever the case, I may be able to confirm about the msi next week when I build my machine.

Thanks for your inputs on my questions. One thing I will explain a bit more clearly. When the fans are on the outside of the rad in a push config, theres more dust settled between the fans and the rad. whereas if the fans are on the inside in a pull config, its a bit easy to clean the rad directly without removing the fans. There's a linus's video on this, check that out.
Will position the psu fan facing out. As for the bottom fans I will keep them as intake and see if I can make a duct-tape/foam solution to direct the air to the gpu.

Edit: Here's a NCase + MSI GTX970 Image Gallery http://imgur.com/a/SlB1p

Last edited:
My V3 has shipped, YAY!

i've read in the other thread that the 980 strix doesn't fit. But does anyone have the bare PCB measurements, as I will be using the ek waterblock on it if I can squeeze it in.

My plans:

Case: NCASE M1 v3 Silver (With ODD)
Power Supply: Silverstone Tek SX600-G
PSU Cables: Custom sleeved and shortened.
CPU Cooler: EK M6i full block
Fans: waiting for dazmode re-release of the GT's, but open to suggestions.
Motherboard: ASUS Impact Vii
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb
Graphics Card: I would really like to squeeze the ASUS strix 980 in there somehow.
GPU Cooler: EK block
Hard Disk: 2 x Samsung 850 500gb SSD (1) Samsung XP941 256GB m.2 (boot/os)
Optical Drive: debating if I'll use on.
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64

Misc. Cooling:
Reservoir: M1 case reservoir from FrozenQ
Radiator: EK coolstream PE 240 (using the GT fans controlled by the MoBo)
Swiftech MCP35x pump with auqacomputer top.
Bitspower fittings and distilled water

Last edited:
Another forum newcomer here. I recently ordered a silver M1 V3 w/o ODD and am planning on putting in the following from my current NODE 304 build:

- Asus Z97I-PLUS
- Intel Core i5 4670K
- Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 2x4GB
- MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
- Noctua NH-U9B SE2 w/ a single Noctua NF-A9 PWM fan
- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

My current PSU is a modded Corsair CX430M V2 with a Noctua NF-S12A FLX fan, but it unfortunately won't fit in this case. What I'm replacing the PSU with is a Silverstone SX500-LG Strider, which is a SFX-L form factor PSU. I have come to understand that fitting the PSU should be a rather tight fit with a lengthy GPU like the one I've got, but still manageable in the V3 (especially as there is no backplate in my GPU). I also got the Silverstone PP05-E short cable kit for the new PSU to minimize cable clutter.

As case fans I'll be using Noctuas, although not yet quite sure what kind of combination I'll go with. How have you guys configured your fans – do you have dual 120mm's on the bottom as intake and a single 92mm in the rear as exhaust or something else entirely?

I'm still planning on getting another Samsung 840 EVO to be configured in a RAID 0 with my current SSD. What I'm wondering however is whether I can fit the two behind the front panel with the SSD stacking plates which come with the case. Anyone happen to have experience with doing that?

Thats weird. Whats your source?
I have a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and its dimensions are 2mm higher than the 960. (I checked the msi website). The ncase google doc states that its a confirmed fit. There's also a youtube video showing it barely reaches the side panel. (Lucky me;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWtCbETCJMQ

Infact the Asus 980 seems to have a problem fitting as per the google doc. If the asus 960 strix works then thats good. Whatever the case, I may be able to confirm about the msi next week when I build my machine.

I was going directly off the measurements on MSI's website vs. the NCASE website which lists the clearances. I should have checked the Google doc first. :)

Nice to see this thread getting some more responses and questions.

I'm going to do my final purchases tomorrow. Can anyone please help me decide on which CPU cooler to go for. Should I go for a CLC i.e Corsair H100i OR should I opt for a Air Cooler Noctua NH-C12P SE14. For an i7-4790K stock, no overclock.(Maybe if the temps are good in regards to where I stay)
Please keep in mind this is regarding the optimum use of space inside of the NCase M1.

I've posted my config above. http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041446266&postcount=4

Nice to see this thread getting some more responses and questions.

I'm going to do my final purchases tomorrow. Can anyone please help me decide on which CPU cooler to go for. Should I go for a CLC i.e Corsair H100i OR should I opt for a Air Cooler Noctua NH-C12P SE14. For an i7-4790K stock, no overclock.(Maybe if the temps are good in regards to where I stay)
Please keep in mind this is regarding the optimum use of space inside of the NCase M1.

I've posted my config above. http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041446266&postcount=4

If you're not over clocking then air is fine for a 4790K. I'm using an NH-U9S and exhausting all heat straight out the top. I think it's worth considering! I get 25-30 degrees on idle, 50-60 on load. The NH-C12P SE14 is also a good option, but if you use this you won't have room for a radiator on the side panel if you want to liquid cool your GPU later. Also, this top down configuration will spew hot air from your CPU all over the case.

@jb1 Thanks a ton, man that is a really sound suggestion and the temps are tempting ^_^. Glad I posted here before buying.

I have some more questions if its not much trouble:

I have the MSI Gtx970 Gaming 4G which does not have a blower style cooler. I read in your other post this may be a problem. Can you suggest something to counter that? Will a top-down cooler help dissipate heat coming from the gpu or the NH-U9S shall still work well?

Other things to note are:
1. I have noctua industrial 2000 pwm fans if they can help somehow.(Had planned on putting these on the H100i)
2. I will put 1-2 fans on the bottom to direct air towards gpu. (Maybe use duct-tape or foam for perfection)
3. money is not an issue. Temps/quiet are important.
4. Not planning to do any gpu water cooling anytime.
5. Pc is going to be heavily used for gaming and 3d related work.

Heh, that's my video and album :)

If you aren't really OCing, go for the air cooling I think...the pump in my setup is easily the loudest component.

I did have some issues with the stock MSI 970 Gaming 4g cooler with heat gathering in the bottom area due to recirculation; it was alleviated by removing the side panel until I installed the water cooling setup. With the stock cooler & side panel on, temps hit 80c under load pretty quickly on the GPU

@jb1 Thanks a ton, man that is a really sound suggestion and the temps are tempting ^_^. Glad I posted here before buying.

I have some more questions if its not much trouble:

I have the MSI Gtx970 Gaming 4G which does not have a blower style cooler. I read in your other post this may be a problem. Can you suggest something to counter that? Will a top-down cooler help dissipate heat coming from the gpu or the NH-U9S shall still work well?

Other things to note are:
1. I have noctua industrial 2000 pwm fans if they can help somehow.(Had planned on putting these on the H100i)
2. I will put 1-2 fans on the bottom to direct air towards gpu. (Maybe use duct-tape or foam for perfection)
3. money is not an issue. Temps/quiet are important.
4. Not planning to do any gpu water cooling anytime.
5. Pc is going to be heavily used for gaming and 3d related work.

The issue with the non-blower style coolers is that they will spew hot air around the case which will travel up to the CPU area so I would think that both the NH-U9S and NH-C12P will both not perform optimally.

The best counter for using this type of card might be something like the H100i like you suggested, since the heat from the CPU would be contained in a closed loop and be unaffected by the heat traveling up from the GPU. Normally I would suggest water cooling the GPU since it has much higher power requirements (and thus heat!) than the CPU, but if your set on using the MSI GTX 970 then a liquid cooled CPU might be a better plan in this case.

Of course, these are just speculations, I'm just thinking about how hot air will rise from the GPU and how you could prevent the CPU from being affected.

Of course, these are just speculations, I'm just thinking about how hot air will rise from the GPU and how you could prevent the CPU from being affected.

Main problem is actually that the hot air doesn't exit the GPU area, it just gets recirculated. The GPU itself prevents most of the hot air from rising/being blown up into the CPU area

Main problem is actually that the hot air doesn't exit the GPU area, it just gets recirculated. The GPU itself prevents most of the hot air from rising/being blown up into the CPU area

Ah, interesting. He is planning on putting some fans below the GPU though–– better to use them as intake or exhaust you think?

I doubt either configuration would help temps that much, the GPU is physically preventing airflow in both directions; I didn't get to test it either way - took the easy way out and went watercooling.

I've been flip-flopping on the VC for my build - watercooling the CPU so I'm not too worried about heat dumping into the case and exhausting via 120mm side fan. Considering one of the GTX 970 Mini cards now to give me some more gaming overhead but hopefully not block airflow entirely to the top half of the case.

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX970DCMOC4GD5/

Edit: Went ahead and bought the Asus GTX 970 Mini. All parts ordered - will post pics and temps once all the parts come in.

Last edited:
The NH-C12P SE14 is also a good option, but if you use this you won't have room for a radiator on the side panel if you want to liquid cool your GPU later. Also, this top down configuration will spew hot air from your CPU all over the case.

A slim A9X14 as a rear exhaust seems to help with this, and is pretty quiet using the included low-noise adapter. Fresh air in from the side, through the C12 and out the back and top..

cOqUiyS.jpg

My build is finished. Will post a link to photos when I get them up. A few observations:

Yep, the Silverstone ST45SF is noisy, even the V2 model. Fan makes a constant grinding sound that dominates the sound profile in the system. Looks like I will be returning this and see if I can get a 600 instead. Extremely disappointing.

The Corsair H80i does fit in the NCASE as long as a single fan is used. Positioning and placement were very tricky - took me a while to get it into a position where the hoses wouldn't bind or interfere with the motherboard. Single included Corsair fan set to push air through, running as slow as I could make it and it's pretty quiet. Pump also doesn't make much noise. Well, at least I think it doesn't - hard to hear anything over the PS fan. All that said, I wish I had gone with a H100i or H60 instead.

Put my tried and true Gentle Typhoon in the front mount across from the PS. I love that fan.

Yep, the Silverstone ST45SF is noisy, even the V2 model. Fan makes a constant grinding sound that dominates the sound profile in the system. Looks like I will be returning this and see if I can get a 600 instead. Extremely disappointing.

Had the same issue with my v2 450W, but the 600W wasn't much better (wasn't nearly as bad, but has a different chattering noise from the fan, which is equally as annoying).. really hope you get a good one!

Had the same issue with my v2 450W, but the 600W wasn't much better (wasn't nearly as bad, but has a different chattering noise from the fan, which is equally as annoying).. really hope you get a good one!

Yeah, I've been reading up on the 600 and it appears to be very hit or miss and highly subjective. Right now I'm considering fan modding the 450 with a Nexus and taking the chance on CFM + ambient air (fan to outside) being enough to keep it cool.

ok, all of my parts are one their way for my V3 build:

Case:
NCASE M1 v3 Silver (With ODD)
Power Supply: Silverstone Tek SX500-LG
CPU Cooler: Cryorig C1
Motherboard: ASUS Impact Vii
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0
Hard Disk: 2 x Samsung 850 500gb SSD
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64

How do you use the fan filters? They seem to be a twist-and-lock mechanism but I couldn't find anything for it. Specifically, I want to attach them to the bottom of the case since I plan on using a blower style GPU.

How do you use the fan filters? They seem to be a twist-and-lock mechanism but I couldn't find anything for it. Specifically, I want to attach them to the bottom of the case since I plan on using a blower style GPU.
They're meant to be used with fans. The twist-off functionality doesn't work on the M1, due to the extra clearance that would be required. They're not ideal filters for the M1, but they're what Lian Li had available, so it's what we used.

They're meant to be used with fans. The twist-off functionality doesn't work on the M1, due to the extra clearance that would be required. They're not ideal filters for the M1, but they're what Lian Li had available, so it's what we used.

I suspected as much, thanks for the info. I'll look into the custom filters I saw from the other thread.

Small photo gallery of my build:

http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/maelwys1/library/NCASE M1

Made some changes since this, replaced 120mm Corsair fans with new 1400rpm GTs, and modded the power supply with an external 80mm fan. Not 100% silent due to the Corsair H80i pump and the video card, but still quite good. I haven't done any temp testing on a PC in years, so hopefully these tests are useful. Not sure what the best software to use is, and it probably would have been better to run the tests for longer.

Temps @ idle (20C ambient):
CPU: 30C
SYS: 25C
GPU: 28C
VRM: 35C

Temps @ load (Dragon Age Inquisition for 3 hours):
CPU: 44C
SYS: 52C
GPU: 65C
VRM: 51C

CPU Burn Test (Passmark) capped at 51C after 30 minutes. The H80i is pretty impressive, especially considering I'm running it with only a single push fan that never passed 75% max rpm.

GPU Burn Test (Furmark) capped at 79C after 30 minutes. System temp reached 52C - not sure if that's healthy or not. All fans are set to pull hot air from the case, so no direct fresh air flowing in - might be worth adding a slow intake on the bottom.

Last edited:
http://m.imgur.com/1qeFRNl

I'm not sure I have ever refreshed a tracking page this much in my life. Last remaining parts are showing up tomorrow. Hopefully that M1 gets here soon. I'm off the next two days and would be just the happiest man on the planet if it somehow showed up on either day.

looks like a tight build, but you did really good :D

i'm doing the same power supply with a full length evga 980 ACX 2.0, any tips or advise?

My case just went into customs in LA. hopefully it makes it home to me (Miami) by the end of the week. :cool:

The trickiest part to consider is the clearance between the GPU and PSU connectors.

Don't screw in the PSU to the case yet. Plug in all the modular PSU connectors you need first.

You need to bend all those cables up as and secure them somehow. Because of my H100i, I had to get those cables as close to the PSU as possible, hence the tape. If you have the room, you could try attaching some tie mounts/clamps to the PSU to hold the cables.

Good luck, the M1 is a fun little challenge even for seasoned system builders.

Just finished migrating into my M1, apologies for potato picture.

WP_20150312_005.jpghttp:

CPU: Intel 4770k (stock clock)
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Impact
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 (it fits with some slight engineering)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
HDD: WD 1TB Black
PSU: Silverstone SX500-lg (faces inwards to relieve alleviate strain on gpu backplate)
Other stuff: NF-P14 on the side intake, 2 NF-P12s on the bottom for GPU

Just finished migrating into my M1, apologies for potato picture.

WP_20150312_005.jpghttp:

CPU: Intel 4770k (stock clock)
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Impact
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 (it fits with some slight engineering)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
HDD: WD 1TB Black
PSU: Silverstone SX500-lg (faces inwards to relieve alleviate strain on gpu backplate)
Other stuff: NF-P14 on the side intake, 2 NF-P12s on the bottom for GPU

Is there any space to air circulate with strix?

I'll figure that out next week myself. I'm watercooling my CPU, but I'd imagine my drive temperatures won't be amazing.

For anyone looking to pick with a Strix, the extended heatpipe ended up in a clip area for the case siding. I had to remove the clip.

I don't know if I'm understanding your question correctly, but generally even smaller cards (as in less tall) tend to compartmentalize the case in such a way that hot air in the GPU "compartment" gets trapped and recirculated to some degree. This is a known issue for all open air coolers and will be for the strix too. A few ways to mitigate this:
1. Bottom fans: Increases air pressure in bottom compartment and helps push cold air into the GPU. Problem: Noise, and it would ruin the entire point of fan less mode which is the main selling point of the strix.
2. Ducting: Bottom ducts that force the GPU fans to get air from under the case on the outside. Problem: Hard to make it look nice.
3. The PCI bracket plate: The plate thet screws in over the PCI brackets on the back of the case can be removed to offer significantly improved air exhaust capabilities. Some people have reported a 5C temp improvement by doing this.

This issue doesn't need to be a deal breaker, but I suspect it might be hard to keep the temps down there low enough over time to really benefit from the fan less mode of the card. That is just my guess though. I would (and plan to) go with a short itx-style 970 instead. It should offer way better airflow.

Back