NB temperature using Rampage II Extreme

nk6600

n00b
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
25
Hello,

I am using in my I7 system an Asus motherboard, model Rampage II Extreme.

I get strange temperature readings for the NB.

With the machine off the lcd poster says that the temperature is around 68 º c.

With the machine turned on, the NB temp is idle at 74 c on full load reaches 78 c.

Touching the heatsink with your hand does not seem to be so hot.

I have another machine with the same board and the temperature of the NB is around 47 c, and even feels warmer touchint it with your fingers than the other one...

The temps readings were done in the BIOS, LCD poster and EVEREST...

Also, have done a BIOS update with no changes in the situation.

What is the problem?

With the machine off it will never be possible to have temperatures of 68 ° c, this are my thoughts....:confused:

What can be done to remedy the situation?

Thanks for the answers! :confused:
 
I suggest removing the HSF on the NB, cleaning it and applying a proper Thermal compound. ;)
 
Could this be a bug from the Bios version?

How can be possible that with the machine off the reading are 68c?

The other temps are very stable and very good for an air cooled system!

Its also very strange that touching the heat sink i can keep my and with no problem, even at the base of the NB feels within the normal temps...

Very strange to say at least...
 
no if the heatsink feels cooler then the other one.. then the heatsink isnt working which ZCommander's suggestion is the only way to fix it..
 
Well, i removed the hsf from the NB, cleaned both ...the NB and the HSF and applied new thermal compound...(NT-H1 from Noctua...the same that i´m using in 2 i7 cpus...); and everything is the same...

Same temps, with the machine turned off and same temps with it turned on...exactly the same...

Dont know really what to do next...probably changing the HSF with an active one...but from what i´m seeing the result probably will be the same...

Any suggestions?:confused:
 
I am thinking about pulling the HSF's off of my RIIE to apply arctic silver compound, but I'm not sure if it will actually lower the temps.
 
Well, have done that...and in my case didn't change anything...

The sensor its crazy and giving some strange readings...on or off...

Dont really no what to do next to solve this situation.

All system is stable .... but i´m getting nervous with these temps...
 
If you have checked the BIOS version the only other thing I can suggest to try is to clear the CMOS. I'd give it a 99% probability it won't fix the problem and I think you will have to replace MB to fix. I may not be worth it for you, just for 1 sensor - your call.

If you log a support call to the MB manufacturer, they might give you additional steps to try.
 
Back
Top