NB cooler fell off, eek!

BGM

Limp Gawd
Right, its not as bad as it sounds...

Iv got an abit ic7 with the orig fan that whines like a mofo... so just over 2 months ago i replaced it with a Zalman ZM-NB47J slightly modded and held on with the original fan retaining clip.. all was well until yesterday it just decided to fall off...

i came in to find my screen has gone all fuzzy.. i assumed it was the heat so i rebooted and all was well.. about 7 hours later i went to put the side back on my case and i noticed the nb HS had fallen off and had been hanging there for all that time!!! i checked my temps and everything seemed fine.. i had suffered no system failers, which i was quite relieved at..

Now however i have no way of attaching another cooler to the NB because the pins have fallen out..so do you guys think thermal epoxy is the only way to go.. or have you used any other means to attach a cooling thingy to your ic7 nb ?

ta!

p.s. this has to be the worst ever attachment design of an abit motherboard... where are the mobo mounting holes!!!!

exact same thing happened to me!

the little clips kept comming out so I had to sauder them back on.

thermal epoxy would work, or if you have as ceramique, it should be enough to hold it on there, plus is a better TIM than most thermal epoxies (although maybe not as's own epoxy? that I would not know).

plus ceramique will hold it, but still be easy enough to remove if you ever need to. Don't know how epoxy-like most thermal epoxies are, but that might be something to keep in mind.

DiseasedCow said:
exact same thing happened to me!

the little clips kept comming out so I had to sauder them back on.
crikey how did you manage that!

i thought about supergluing them backinto their little holes.. but that probably wouldnt work

Ch1m3r4 said:
Don't know how epoxy-like most thermal epoxies are, but that might be something to keep in mind.
AS say you should mix a little bit of normal thermal coimpound with the expoy otherwise it will be permanent.. i dont really mind that, so i will probably just go ahead and do it.. tum tee tum :eek:

the IC7 angers me with the way it attaches the northbridge heatsink. i have NEVER gotten one board in the mail that i havent had to remount and fix. wonderful.

I have an Abit NF7-S and it's NB HSF came dislodged on one side. I epoxied it on with Artic Alumina Thermal Epoxy. :)

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my old Epox 8RDA+.... so I decided to epoxy that sucker on since the clips got worn out and wouldn't hold..

I bought one of those Zalman NB coolers (the tall blue one), and used some AS5. Works like a champ.

Something else you might want to consider is one of the northbridge heatsinks where you can replace the fan in case it goes Tango Uniform (I think coolermaster makes one...a big one). The epoxy should hold one even that heavy as long as you don't move your system around alot.

well my ic7-max3 clips are still holding strong since august (knock on wood) and back in january i switched too a koolance NB waterblock and the clips have held that too. and for a long while there mycomp was getting moved weekly to game with some friends.... just my personal experience

H-K said:
Something else you might want to consider is one of the northbridge heatsinks where you can replace the fan in case it goes Tango Uniform (I think coolermaster makes one...a big one). The epoxy should hold one even that heavy as long as you don't move your system around alot.

thats all well and good, but i dont actually have any means to attach the new nb heatsink due to no pins, and no mobo mounting holes..

at the moment i have bodged it and just superglued the pins back onto the board.. seems to be holding ok :/

BGM said:
crikey how did you manage that!

It's easy, just get the soldering iron and place it to the tip of the metal until it gets hot enough. Then slide it in and let very little metal contact the pin sides and let it drip down into the hole.

I did this for two of them and realized that it’s a waste of time, so I RMA it and Abit sent me new MAX3 heat sink on a MAX2.

wonder if i have any chance of a new board... i have had it nearly a year mind you :(

you guys do know this is an Abit board trademark with the nb cooler popping off right? :p ...it probably happens on about 75% of their boards at some point

Happened on my ic7, so i RMA'd it and then sold it - that was the last straw for abit for me.

BGM...you can get the board replaced, just do an RMA with abit - it's the one good thing with abit, their RMA process and turn around is excellent

PureBooYah said:
you guys do know this is an Abit board trademark with the nb cooler popping off right? :p ...it probably happens on about 75% of their boards at some point
yep i frequent the abit forums too, about 70% of the posts there are concerning the crappiness of the nb attachment :(

PureBooYah said:
BGM...you can get the board replaced, just do an RMA with abit - it's the one good thing with abit, their RMA process and turn around is excellent
fantastic, ill write a letter right now! Do you know a number i can call? Will save me hunting through the website looking for the right one..

KoZLop said:
super glue it :D
yeah for the moment, thats what iv done.. it seems to be holding but its only a v short term solution :rolleyes:

Back