Natural Selection Clones?

Baker

2[H]4U
So I've noticed there has been FPS after FPS released and haven’t really seen or heard of any other games which offer game play like Natural Selection (a MOD for HL).

Has anyone heard of any future games coming out that offer a FPS along with a commander who plays the game like a RTS? Are there any games currently out that I don't know about?

I used to be really into Natural Selection back in the day, but haven’t touched it in a while. I would like to see something with updated graphics that isn't Aliens vs. Humans using the same system as Natural Selection.

Thoughts?

BF2 / BF2142 have a commander role that can dictate everything, no resources and such like NS though. NS:Source (NS2?) is being worked on however, they put up a neat vid showing dynamic alien wall/floor control area stuff, very cool looking.

There was 'Empires Mod' for Half Life 2 a while back that was very much in the vein of Natural Selection.
The commander had resource gather buildings (Supreme Commander style sit there and create resources), factories, walls, turrets ect. There was also a limited tech tree.
Peons can customize and buy vehicles from the factories and do the grunt work.

I played a very rough public beta (with lots of performance issues) a while back (1.03 or something), haven't checked back recently to see what's become of it.

But yea, Natural Selection Source and Science and Industry Source are two updates to mods I wasted way to much time on back in the half life 1 days and I'm eagerly awaiting their reincarnations.

the natural selection 2 myspace page says an upcoming 'show' is on oct 31st 2007. wonder if thats the targeted release date.

So I've noticed there has been FPS after FPS released and haven’t really seen or heard of any other games which offer game play like Natural Selection (a MOD for HL).

Has anyone heard of any future games coming out that offer a FPS along with a commander who plays the game like a RTS? Are there any games currently out that I don't know about?

I used to be really into Natural Selection back in the day, but haven’t touched it in a while. I would like to see something with updated graphics that isn't Aliens vs. Humans using the same system as Natural Selection.

Thoughts?

The closest thing that I can think of that is somewhat popular is a HL2 mod called Zombie Master. Where there is a zombie master who has resources(additional ones are gained as time passes and survivors die) to use to spawn creatures of all sorts, interact with the world indirectly via traps and such.

Has anyone heard of any future games coming out that offer a FPS along with a commander who plays the game like a RTS?

BF2242
BF2342
BF2442
BF2542
BF2642
BF2742

BF2842 is rumoured to require you to let EA beam adverts straight into your mind, but you won't know that until you open the box and find the disclaimer inside.

I wonder why game dev's haven't tried to push any lush games using the concepts behind natural selection. I thought it was rather cool to see someone building a base and requiring me and teamates to be in poistion for further expansion. Allows the FPSers and the RTSers to come together :D

There was 'Empires Mod' for Half Life 2 a while back that was very much in the vein of Natural Selection.
The commander had resource gather buildings (Supreme Commander style sit there and create resources), factories, walls, turrets ect. There was also a limited tech tree.
Peons can customize and buy vehicles from the factories and do the grunt work.

I played a very rough public beta (with lots of performance issues) a while back (1.03 or something), haven't checked back recently to see what's become of it.

But yea, Natural Selection Source and Science and Industry Source are two updates to mods I wasted way to much time on back in the half life 1 days and I'm eagerly awaiting their reincarnations.

It's still a crappy beta with lots of performance problems and bugs that the experienced players use to gain the upper hand all the time. I like it but it has to many probems right now so it's just not as fun as it could be.

Oh yeah forgot about that game... my buddy was a beta tester way back in the day.

Natural Selection use to run my life! I use to play that game like I might not survive if I didn’t get my daily injection. It really was a lot of fun, I use to own in that game, Once I got over my fear of being commander and started to play in the Commchair I really became good. I use to win matches almost every time I became commander (and people followed me). On the flip side I was unstoppable as a Fade, and was famous for my skills as Gorge. At one time I was also the highest donating Constellation member.
I even co ran a community website Commchair.com for a while. Lork on the Clorf anyone?
So many memories!

NS2 looks like it might have promise and I will surely go back if to NS if it’s any good.

You know, I'm not sure if there is LAN support or not. I can't remember how the hosting works, and I don't currently have it installed. (dead computer + 3 year old in house = no new parts. I've been using an old laptop for internet)

It's a real-time strategy shooter. thats about all there is to it. one commander in rts mode, all other players on the team in fps (or 3rd person available also) mode.

super neat.

Also, still under development is Tombstone, a zombie western mod for savage. They've been working on it for YEARS. But you know, could be cool someday.

Back