Natural selection 2

the problem with this game is it is just like NS1, which is a highly flawed and dead game. only purists are interested in conversion backwards. there were patches for NS1 that make more changes than you see between NS1 and NS2.

while fun and interesting, NS2 remains fundamentally broken. big disappointment for me because I expected more than graphics improvements after 10 years.

I've never even played NS1 or NS2 so obviously you are wrong in your assessment.

I've been reading the community hub on Steam, trying to figure out if I should wait for a Steam sale.

Look at the % win / loss graph at the bottom and answer broken how?

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/11

Last edited:
I feel the only thing worth playing on natural selection was the combat mode. I had a frigging blast on that, could play for hours.

The RTS mode is sooo daunting to understand / master. It draws in the "elitist crowd" and the good players are the BIGGEST pricks you'll ever meet.

I feel the only thing worth playing on natural selection was the combat mode. I had a frigging blast on that, could play for hours.

The RTS mode is sooo daunting to understand / master. It draws in the "elitist crowd" and the good players are the BIGGEST pricks you'll ever meet.

I'd say that was the case in NS1 because really, the only people that stayed were the hardcore. But a lot of people are really trying to bring in new players and help. So don't lose hope!

If you want some buddies to play with hit me up through PM and you can come join me and my buddies in vent when we play :)

I agree. I tried the Combat mod for NS2 the other day and was disappointed at how broken it was. Marines are extremely overpowered early game, you can't get your 2nd/3rd ability because there is only one hive (so you can't use blink as Fade), etc.

Aside from that, I was thrilled to see co_faceoff in NS2, even if the map scale was wrong. Hopefully Combat will be added as an official game mode.

Im fairly certain i read a FAQ that said they would rely strictly on the community to add it.

Most annoying thing about this game is getting stuck in the map and structures. Happens a lot with aliens.

Can I run this game reasonably well (50+ FPS on low settings)?

i5 2500k stock
Geforce GTS 250
1680x1050 res

So I played it pretty much all day after buying it yesterday. What. A. BLAST.
It is so much better with a vocal team/commander.

Anyhow, if you're interested, here is my steamID - WankThePirate

This is such an amazing game. Only been playing 2 days but I am hooked, surprised it's not getting more love on this forum!

This is such an amazing game. Only been playing 2 days but I am hooked, surprised it's not getting more love on this forum!

it's not getting more love because most people stop playing pretty quickly. just like your peers above, you probably won't be back next month.

the steam player stats are moving in the wrong direction. 3300 people max on sunday night is less than Farming Simulator 2013 had

I personally love the game, but it's not for everyone. The steep learning curve and reliance on a semi competent commander can ruin games quickly. But overall, I've been having a blast. Been playing since the alpha

I've got over 100 hours into it. Commanding is really fun. I've learned from pro players that you have to use really low sensitivity. This game is very fun and unique. It's also not for everyone because it is genuinely hard. The spy-vs-spy retardation of COD and other FPS games does not apply here at all. Retards get weeded out quickly. Not so good for sales.

I enjoyed this game a lot when it was released. Sadly, I got tired of selfish marines and idiot alien teammates. Have things changed?

I enjoyed this game a lot when it was released. Sadly, I got tired of selfish marines and idiot alien teammates. Have things changed?

I just recently got into it, and yea I haven't seen much of that. Shits a riot.

I haven't had any performance issues while playing Natural Selection 2. The game is a lot of fun - both on the Alien and Marine's sides. I'm not sure how it will work in the competitive scene which seems to be their aim, but their spectator mode is coming along nicely.

I just recently got into it, and yea I haven't seen much of that. Shits a riot.

That''s good to hear.

I used to be the top scorer almost every time I played, but now I'm probably back to nubcake status. I bet even gigasmack can kill me. :eek:

Played for an hour so far and I like it from what I've seen but then again I liked NS1, which became my go to game when it was in beta, so the style of play was familiar and appealing.

Might pick it up although I'm wondering what the player population will be like after the f2p weekend and how much time I'd get to play. But then again there isn't really a interesting MP fps to me until maybe BF4 comes out.

Might've lucked out on server as well, the experienced players were helpful and vocal (especially the commander). Also all the "rookies" seemed to listen.

Also brought back some fun memories of doing a last stand with the welder after running out of ammo :p

A lot of new concepts though which are unfamiliar to me. Exo suits, alien commander, self purchasing weapons/gear.

Played for an hour so far and I like it from what I've seen but then again I liked NS1, which became my go to game when it was in beta, so the style of play was familiar and appealing.

Might pick it up although I'm wondering what the player population will be like after the f2p weekend and how much time I'd get to play. But then again there isn't really a interesting MP fps to me until maybe BF4 comes out.

Might've lucked out on server as well, the experienced players were helpful and vocal (especially the commander). Also all the "rookies" seemed to listen.

Also brought back some fun memories of doing a last stand with the welder after running out of ammo :p

A lot of new concepts though which are unfamiliar to me. Exo suits, alien commander, self purchasing weapons/gear.

There are a lot of servers with friendly people that will help you out a lot and there are plenty of active servers. I actually haven't played since Heart of the Swarm came out, but I'll get back into NS2 eventually.

A lot like what it is now. You will see 15 or so servers at full population, then a lot of non full ones.

Its not bad.

I loved playing it when it was more popular. However, I'm not sure if this was everyone's experience, but I dealt with a lot of toxicity. Made me not want to even attempt to try Commander, let alone really play the game. It was bad on both sides. You'd have a dickhead Commander, or you'd have dickhead players when attempting to command the game.

Shame really, it was an interesting concept and quite fun to play at times.

The first was great fun for the most part. 2 had so much promise but just didnt deliver the experience and the community.... I did not play it for long.

I enjoy 2 more, but the issue with 2 is that they just made it way too hardcore. It's not an easy game to pick up, at all. Most people just walk away.

Back