Native SATA Drives

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Apr 25, 2001
Messages
12,913
Are there any native SATA hard drives out on the market right now? Howabout Optical?
 
Plextor PX712SA is the only optical SATA drive I'm aware of. I'd love to be proven wrong. Says mid-June availabilty, here it is July, nothing yet.
 
Seagate Sata's are native.
I got a couple 200GB drives, and they are great.
Although I don't think you could actually notice much of a difference.
 
Most "SATA" drives - hard-disk or optical - actually use PATA interfaces with a bridge chip to convert PATA signals to SATA. I'm afraid that the Plextor optical drive that's mentioned earlier in this thread is such a "legacy" PATA design with a converter chip.

Seagate SATA hard drives are, IIRC, the only "native" SATA drives on the market.
 
E4g1e said:
Most "SATA" drives - hard-disk or optical - actually use PATA interfaces with a bridge chip to convert PATA signals to SATA. I'm afraid that the Plextor optical drive that's mentioned earlier in this thread is such a "legacy" PATA design with a converter chip.

Seagate SATA hard drives are, IIRC, the only "native" SATA drives on the market.

That's the reply I was looking for- thanks-
 
dainthomas said:
I thought the 74 Gig Raptors were, too?

They're not, all Raptors are still bridged. The 74GB model adds a form of Command Queueing
(ATA-4) seen on certain other IDE drives, but not NCQ which requires a native SATA drive to support, as well as a supporting controller.

The only other Native SATA 3.5" drive on the market is the new Maxtor MaXLine III with the 16MB buffer.
 
Back
Top