• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Native resolution and scaling

leech88

n00b
Joined
Oct 9, 2012
Messages
1
I am undecided about whether to go for a 1920x1200 or a 1920x1080 native resolution for my new LCD.

I understand that if the input resolution is different than the native resolution the image is generally scaled, which results in quality loss. My main concern is that I play a lot of old games (640x480 or 800x600 resolutions, sometimes even less) and I'd like to minimize the quality loss through scaling. The best way to do that would be to put the monitor or the graphic card in 1:1 pixel mapping, but that would result in that a lot of the screen would be unused. So what I would like to know is if it is possible to set the scaling so that each pixel is represented as a group of 4 pixels, so that a 640x480 input would be presented as 1280x960, and a 800x600 input would be presented as 1600x1200 (for this last case a 1920x1200 monitor would be necessary). Is there anyway to do that? Are there monitors with these feature? Maybe even software for this, I don't know...

I own a geforce gtx 550 ti.

Thanks for any help
 
the simple solution is use 1:1 mapping or centered timings for your desired resolution of 12x9 or 16x12. in the PC world these centered timings are available in the graphics cards menu.

the choice between 1080p and 1200p is hard: 1200p monitors cost a premium, and usually are not the best option for fsp gaming, especially if you can upgraded to 1440p for less than most 1200p monitors cost now
 
Although I'm afraid I can't answer your question from the software side of things, I know some monitors themselves allow scaling like that.

The NEC professional models should be able to do it ... I know the 90 series can.

I had a couple of older games (800x600) I recently tried out, and they looked pretty decent on a NEC 1990 (my secondary screen), when I scaled then up a bit. Less wasted space on a smaller screen too, so a secondary small monitor could be another option for you. Neat thing about hardware scaling is that you can see directly how it looks, as the game is running, so no need to bother with software menus/settings.
 
Back
Top