Native linux Bigadv is a pain in the ass

Choder

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok guys, I've been trying to get a Bigadv client running on my Ubuntu box but my lack of linux experience is a larger obstacle than I had counted on. Is there anyone out there willing to help me figure out how to set this damn thing up?

It's a fresh install of Ubuntu and a probably screwed up "finstall" client setup.

If someone could just walk me through it over IRC that would kick ass.

Last edited:
Have you thought about running it in a VM from windows? It is crazy easy as all you do is download that Linus image from the eVGA forums, and you download VMware 3.0.0. Once you do that, it pretty much sets itself up so long as you have enough memory if you plan on running the -bigadv WU's.

Do you need fininstall, or would running folding in the foreground work? Are you running a GUI? What version of Ubuntu?

I would recommend 9.04 Desktop. It will make setup MUCH easier for you. Once you are set up, you can shut down the GUI.

I'll help you as much as I can. I have 3 bigadv machines running under Ubuntu right now.

Yea im going to be doing this tonght

Who wants to make a linux guide?

Yea im going to be doing this tonght

Who wants to make a linux guide?

Download 6.29 client from F@H
Extract to home dir
In a console (that should default to home dir) type "./fah6 -configonly"
Fill in your info along with passkey, making sure to type in big when asked for what size WU
Don't not mess with adv options unless you have to
In the same console box (after -configonly is finished) type "./fah6 -smp -bigadv"
You are now folding -bigadv

That's it.

how do i download from the command line?

I was going to run Ubuntu Server....ie no gui

Should be able to do it with the following:

Code:
wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.29-Linux.tgz

Code:
mkdir fah
cd fah
wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.29-Linux.tgz
tar -zxvf FAH6.29-Linux.tgz
./fah6 -configonly

This makes a directory, downloads the tarball to the directory, untars it, then runs the executable with -configonly.

With no GUI, you will have problems with directory sharing, setting a static IP if you need it, and probably other things. I finally gave up and used a GUI for the set-up, then shut it off when I was finished configuring.

With no GUI, you will have problems with directory sharing, setting a static IP if you need it, and probably other things. I finally gave up and used a GUI for the set-up, then shut it off when I was finished configuring.
I agree. Without a GUI it's like giving a computer with only DOS on it to someone who has used Windows since Win 98. BTW, you guys are aware that linuxrouter has a native install version of his EVGA VM available for download?

I agree. Without a GUI it's like giving a computer with only DOS on it to someone who has used Windows since Win 98. BTW, you guys are aware that linuxrouter has a native install version of his EVGA VM available for download?

I cannot get that image to work correctly for me, so im doing my own.

The gui doesn't take away much.

Shut it off if you want to after setup.... I don't see the point.

I cannot get that image to work correctly for me, so im doing my own.
I tried it on two of my systems and it didn't install either, but that was well over a month ago. I was hoping (against hope) that it was fixed, I guess not. Too bad, since it seems to have all the features of his VM. It would have been a super fast and simple install if it only worked.

This optimized image only gains a few seconds per frame anyway. The Ubuntu kernel is pretty good for folding. It is also way easier to set up for those of us not very Linux-savvy.

Kendrak.... Why aren't all the other guides as simple as yours? Thank you very much, that worked like a charm.

Download 6.29 client from F@H
Extract to home dir
In a console (that should default to home dir) type "./fah6 -configonly"
Fill in your info along with passkey, making sure to type in big when asked for what size WU
Don't not mess with adv options unless you have to
In the same console box (after -configonly is finished) type "./fah6 -smp -bigadv"
You are now folding -bigadv

That's it.

Hrm, it's only using 7 of the 8 CPUs, even though I specified -bigadv and -smp 8

No worries Kendrak. A reboot fixed it. Thank you again for your help.

can someone inform me on how to setup a network share for my folding directory so i can monitor it with HFM?

Sorry im a newb

can someone inform me on how to setup a network share for my folding directory so i can monitor it with HFM?

Sorry im a newb

If you installed as I layed out above.

In the Nav bar you should be able to go up a lvl in the dir.

You home folder should be the only folder

Right click and hit share

Ubuntu will auto install samab

I think a reboot is needed and your done.

ok kool

now if i could get my mobo to quit freaking out, we would be in biz

Back