National Day of Unplugging 2012

HardOCP News

[H] News
This Saturday is the National Day of Unplugging. I'm not "pledging" to do anything but I do plan on turning off my computer, filling up the old muscle car with 100 octane race gas and cruising all day long. What are your plans?

I pledge to join the National Day of Unplugging to take a digital detox from sunset March 23 to sunset March 24, 2012.

Fuck no. Unplugging some things means resetting them when plugging it back in. :-P

I'll be out of town on vacation, fishing for some steelhead. Maybe some razor clams, too. Don't think I'll need to unplug as I won't have anything out there.

i pledge on March24th to overload myself on that backlog of video games and movies i've had, while running my air conditioning at full blast, while shutting my phone off simply forcing everyone to communicate with me via twitter/instant messenger etc.

I will also make it a point to only eat snacks that require the microwave.

can you tell i hate shit like this?

Makes as much sense as "fasting" for a day to please one of the deities.

Hmm, time to get a couple marine batteries so I can make the UPS last a day. "What? But the computer is unplugged!" :D

I promise on the 24th to crank my AC, run my Television with Xbox 360, Two PC's, Macintosh, Android Phone, Guzzle a bunch of Gas in my Car, print out a forest, eat nothing but Little Debbies and punch the hippie in the nose for suggesting this in the first place.

I'm all for saving energy and all that, but I don't think having a day like this is what makes the difference. We need to get off fossil fuels, now that would do something good.

I promise on the 24th to crank my AC, run my Television with Xbox 360, Two PC's, Macintosh, Android Phone, Guzzle a bunch of Gas in my Car, print out a forest, eat nothing but Little Debbies and punch the hippie in the nose for suggesting this in the first place.

Ohhh, can I come hang out with you?? I have an original PS3 20g that's sitting in a box - I think I've used it maybe 3 times? and have never played with an Xbox. Oh and I got a ton of stuff that needs printing, just can't afford the cartridges for the stupid printer. I'll even bring a few more boxes of Little Debbie!

On reading the "Pledge" I can see what the point is. It's not about saving energy or gas per se, it's about unplugging from all the "tech" - computers, cell phones, tablets, etc.

As part of the "Pledge" says:

"Shut down your computer. Turn off your cell phone. Stop the constant emailing, texting, Tweeting and Facebooking to take time to notice the world around you. Connect with loved ones. Nurture your health. Get outside. Find silence. Avoid commerce. Give back. Eat Together."

We, just about all of us are in one way or another tied to something, whether it's the phone, the computer, the internet, etc. For me being disabled it's one of the few ways for me to actually connect with people. Avoiding commerce is easy - just be broke (like I always am!).

In general, things like this are, I believe, well-intentioned and not "hippy-dippy tree hugging" but are to try to get us to look past the screen and see/interact with the people around us, take a walk, stop and smell the whatever flowers blooming, breathe, eat something besides Little Debbies or doritos, etc. ... I just don't see this great "National Day of Unplugging" happening.

See you all online!

Most of my devices can operate when unplugged. Batteries might not last the day though.

Guess no sex that day.

Damn you kids. Back in my day we had magazines with fucking FOLD OUTS! You could get a whole body shot 3 or 4 pages tall. They didn't stand up to a lot of smack like a keyboard does, but required less power. And, a new issue every month, unless you stole your Dad's stash, then you get a stack at a time.

Well I was going to spend that day buying $1 million of merchandise from ReBoot (the website that is promoting this hippie boycott), but I guess I won't be able to now. Darn!

this modern day of rest was developed by Reboot as a way to bring some balance to our increasingly fast-paced way of life and reclaim time to connect with family, friends, the community and ourselves.

...but they're all on facebook!

It sure is a darn excuse to turn off the computer and then fire off the boat and go fishing!

Good excuse to get drunk, pass out, then get drunk again. Oh wait, thats fishing :D

Sure I'll unplug my computer from korea and have no contact with the wife and kids back home and let the military work me harder because I could use that time to do something "productive" like work a double? Awesome!

Do you have a source of Cam II purple somewhere? Fill up, really? That takes a second mortgage, right?

You know, I really hate these national days of acting retarded. It is just a stupid idea from the get go. Technology improves our lives and makes it easier to connect to people, why on earth would we purposefully unplug? These types of things just never make sense.

I'm gonna go ride some trails on my bike.

Need to leave my car idling and the AC blasting though, it's nice to get back to the car and have it all cooled down after a hard ride.

I'll be at work, so the closest I'll get to unplugging anything will be telling someone over the phone "Okay, now see the power cord? Go ahead and unplug that." :(

You know, I really hate these national days of acting retarded. It is just a stupid idea from the get go. Technology improves our lives and makes it easier to connect to people, why on earth would we purposefully unplug? These types of things just never make sense.

So we can raise our gas usage to get to someone's homes to communicate with them. Duh.

hrmm reading comprehension fail??

I'm probably going to play games all day and sit on my ass. So no, I won't be unplugging anything.

Back