• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nasty's Vista Gaming Guide

Nasty_Savage

Extremely [H]
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
37,768
Hi, figured I would relay my experiences with Vista and Vista x64 and games for you guys. All things listed are x64 unless otherwise noted.
I will update as I go along, and add things as people reply to the thread. x32 is running on my 9300 laptop, x64 is running on my Core 2 Duo which I just rebuilt. Specs in sig. Please feel free to add your own workarounds and I will apply them Have lots of games, but not all...especially STEAM and Oblivion.

**before you do anything I suggest you download the latest Direct X from Microsoft. Do not allow any games to overwrite it.**

I found this link on the WoW forums. It shows games and workarounds similar to what I am trying to do here. It also has a list of various other software. Of special note, Alcohol 120% works perfectly fine with the update on their site. I have it confirmed working on x32, but my other license is borky with the new install of x64. Will update when I find answer (probably just a hardware key deal)

Note on hardware for x 64. I experienced what was probably a memory leak using the BenQ DQ 60 DVD R drive. Owners of this flakey drive beware. Replacing it with a slightly slower NEC drive alleviated issues. The drive would spin and seek then crash explorer. Often Vista would recover ala Mac OS X. It pooped once and rebooted. A welcome experience then having to restart after a bluescreen all the time.

nVidia 8800 series. Drivers are still flakey at best!!!

Creative Labs Soundblaster issues: http://www.soundblaster.com/Applications/article.asp?articleID=68455&categoryID=13 According to Creative, their proprietary EAX tech has been effectively wiped due to changes in the HAL for Vista. This contraption solved an issue with one reported users sound problems in NW2. Its designed to detect and change options in popular games to change the sound options. Currently only supporting x-fi, but hopefully other companies or enterprising folks will develop patches so we can retro game. Read for more information.

Monitors: I'm running a dual monitor setup. While x64 managed to find my dinky dell 1500 flat screen, it did not find my 2005FPW and labeled it generic. This caused resolution selection problems with WoW. I had to go into advanced and use the nVidia driver to set the dually setup and it found the 2005FPW fine. Only then was I able to increase the resolution to WoW, though it still doesn't register in Windows itself (still generic PnP Monitor)

OK Lets start with the basics. First off, games that auto download such as WoW and Warcraft 3. Vista, being a more secure operating system will not allow a program to modify files. In order to download updates, you must right-click the executable and 'Run as administrator' to allow files to be modified. In theory, this should cause the virus writers to shuffle a bit and those pesky trojan droppers ought to be met with a good dose of smack back. For games though, this is kinda annoying...but in my opinion...a necessary evil. I'm looking for a way to modify shortcuts to permanantly add this security feature to the games I want to run. This feature will not disappear with an administrator account...its similar to unix/linux based systems with root level access, though a bit simpler since you do not have to login and put in your password all the time. Time will tell if this becomes an achilles heel. You can disable UAC, but you do so at your own risk.

x 64 Games are installed in Program Files (x86) on your main drive. I assume that native 64 games will go in the regular program files when they become available.

Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne: Installed fine. Right Click and Run as Administrator prior to connecting to Battle.net to allow the patches to upgrade. Thus far, unlike x32, I've been forced to run as admin on x64 or I get the out of disk space error, because it will not allow writing to the drive. This is slightly annoying, I'm looking for a solution.

World of Warcraft and Burning Crusade. Clean install. Again, run as administrator after you connect to allow the patches to download. Thankfully, I have a 30Mbps download so applying the patches actually took longer then the downloads :D After fully patching WoW I installed BC and followed the same procedure and was up and stomping in no time. Note on monitor resolution problem above.

Prey. Installed fine, along with punk buster. After installing the retail 1.2 patch I got a message saying 'this program may not have installed correctly' and it gave me 2 options...basically it installed correctly or re-install using recommended settings. I chose 'it installed correctly'...looking to see if there are any problems with it.

F.E.A.R. Oddly enough, I tripped up on disk 4. It eventually took it but I couldn't figger out wtf since the disk is pristine. <shrug> Could be that I am running my slingbox and watching X-Files on my other monitor while I stuff all my games back in and I got a Mobile Device center update in the middle for my Smartphone. Doesn't say much for Multi-Tasking thus far...especially with this hardware. Having Issues with the 108 update. There seems to be a massive delay. I am thinking its because it takes a bit for the patch to find the Program in the new Vista x86 folder. It eventually went in fine. I do not hae the expansion so I can't comment on that.

Neverwinter Nights DVD Edition Installed without hitch. Autopatcher worked without having to 'Run as Administrator'

Quake4 DVD Got error message saying 'known compatability issues with this version. Prompted me to install the latest Flash Player, which I did. Then the install crashed with a missing MSVCR80.dll and Required by OFFICE GrooveUtil.dll (client peer to peer Microsoft Office Program in Office Ultimate). Going to the disk itself and using 'explore' I ran setup.exe wit RaA (Run As adminstrator) and the installation ran through. Must be an error on the disk or something or the way setup.exe is set. Or maybe just a misfire by my computer.

XFire Gaiming IM Client. Handle is nastysavge. Feel free to add me. Rightclick shortcut, run as administrator to get updates.

Company of Heroes Same as Quake 4. Right click disk icon and explore disk. Right click intsall icon and run as administrator. There's a report of crashing on Vista x32. To date, I personally have run through two of the tutorials without issue in x64. Will update as I go along.

X3 Reunion DVD Installed game then installed 2.002 patch and ran game without incident. Applied patch via RaA, not sure if its necessary though. Important to note, that the latest patch removes that pesky Starforce protection. Runs fine and no longer need the disk in the drive. Not sure if Starforce protected games are going to experience any issues. Do not know what Gothic 3 uses, but note problems below.

Original Ghost Recon: Installs fine, haven't played it yet.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Medieval II: Total War, Far Cry, Heavy Metal FAKK 2, and Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast Other games confirmed working.

Dawn of War + Expansions Issues reported. DirectX error. 'Spooge' error. Waiting for someone to try, as I do not have the games, spooge error in the DoW forums is reported to be graphics Driver related. Check to see if there is an update. One of the first things I did was install the latest DirectX after I installed my drivers. You can find it here

/edit, Found a post by TheONE320 on DoW forums. Please note, I have not tried this so do so at your own risk:

Just wanted to let you guys know, that I got it to run by using 3d-analyse
(3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/download)

You can emulate a different Graphicscard and it works. First run 3d-analyse on GraphicsConfig.exe and then the Game exe. It works like a charm. PM me for questions.

*edit* Oh yeah and you have to give yourself (admin) the editing rights to the THQ folder to make it work

*edit2* The emulated card has to be an ATI card. That means it is the Nvidia drivers causing the problem.
Nvidia get a move on! I want the final drivers

Flight Simulator X Deluxe addition.
you would bet this OUGHT to install without a hitch, and it does.

Rise of Legends - Reported 'Installs and runs fine on Vista x64 without running as Admin.'

Gothic 3 - Reported 'Game installs, but Vista x64 blocks the copy protection driver from loading, so it always asks me to put the disc in the drive.'

Call of Duty 2 Reported Installs fine in Vista, initial disk load is long. Additional report that running or installing in compatability mode will eliminate the disk load wait.

Other reported games:

Oblivion: Works fine, including all of the add-ins.
Age of Empires 3: gives an error message stating that it may not work, but seems to work fine.
Madden '07: no issues
Tiger Woods '07: Blue screened a couple of times upon completion of a Team Tour event which completely corrupted the player file, but no other problems to date with other modes of play.
Need for Speed Carbon: Installs fine, does not run w/default settings. As I learned via Google, the cut scenes are the issue - either deleting the Movies folder or running in XP SP2 compatability mode seems to work.
Titan Quest: Works fine.
Star Trek Legacy: Works fine (it's still just as flawed as in Windows XP )
NBA Live '07: See Star Trek Legacy
Steam games (including HL2, Sin Epispodes 1, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic): no issues
Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Works fine - in fact, looked a lot better for me (could be it auto-sensed better settings than it had in XP). Still the few camera jumping bugs from XP.
Halo: Worked fine.
Doom3: Worked fine.
NASCAR SimRacing: Installation failed by default. Installed fine in XP SP2 compatability mode. Game would not run.
FarCry 64: Beautiful
Sid Meier's Pirates!: Works fine.

Call of Duty, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Battlefield 2/2142 work great

More added games:

No One Lives Forever 2: Works okay. Had some sound issues (as in only music, no game sounds) that were resolved by disabling hardware sound.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Works fine.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: Works fine.
GTA San Andreas: Works fine.

More reports:

Command and Conquer: The First Decade: All games can be made to work, but some need changes.
C&C, Red Alert, and Renegade all worked with no modifications.
RA2.exe, RA2MD.exe, and clokspl.exe need to run as admin for Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, and Tiberian Sun respectively.
For Generals and Zero Hour, it would crash upon starting the game. Looks like the game has trouble autodetecting settings during its first run. Copying the folders from My Docs in my XP install to my Vista install got both running. If you run RA2 and Tiberian Sun manually they appear in Games Explorer. None of the other games do by default. CD versions will most likely work also.

Star Wars Empire at War: Works fine
Star Wars EaW: Forces of Corruption: Also works fine. Doesn't show up in games explorer at all though.
 
CRASH REPORTS

Quake4 I crashed after a death. Had to give the three fingered salute (Control Alt Delete) to recover. Got a message that Quake stopped working correctly and that comapatability settings would be applied. In going to the Root of (x86) I did not see any of the compatability options applied. This may be something tagged in the games folder if its not just an erronious message. If I find out more I'll let you know...
 
I can't get Dawn of War (any of the expansions either) to work... I installed the games fine, but it gives me a DirectX error and calls it a "spooge error." Which sounds kinda dirty. Splinter Cell Chaos theory won't run for me either as it gives me a message that it'll only work on Windows... so it clearly doesn't recognize Vista yet. I'm sure it'll be fixed with a patch.

On the bright side, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, Medieval II: Total War, FEAR, Far Cry, Heavy Metal FAKK 2, and Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (obscure, eh?) all installed and ran without a hitch.
 
In the games you had an error with, I would try the doing an explore on the disk, and RaA on the executable file. Try it and report back. Adding your successful games to the compile list. Also, look to see if you installed the Direct X December update then try again too if you please?
 
My CoH keeps crashing, Relic mention dropping Texture detail from Ultra down to high but it's not helped :/

Vista 32bit, 100.59 drivers, 7950Gx2.

Other than that most of my games are runnign without issues, Dawn of War isn't but as posted that apparantly fixable (not going to try it though)

FEAR works, Theme hospital did :p as does the source engine and everything that runs on it. I'm going to try out resident evil 4 today.
 
In the games you had an error with, I would try the doing an explore on the disk, and RaA on the executable file. Try it and report back. Adding your successful games to the compile list. Also, look to see if you installed the Direct X December update then try again too if you please?

Someone from Relic said that the only way that Dawn of War would work on Vista is when Nvidia fixes their drivers... so I'm banking on that.
 
Resident Evil 4 is on PC, what?!?!?

Yeah, it's on PC. I think it's only in Asia right now, but IIRC, the European release comes out this month and the US release is out April 2nd. Hopefully it'll be a good port so we have a definitive version of the game on the PC.
 
Nice idea, should help a lot of people see whats working and what isn't. I won't have access to my Vista pc for a week, but this should help:

Rise of Legends - Installs and runs fine on Vista x64 without running as Admin.
Gothic 3 - Game installs, but Vista x64 blocks the copy protection driver from loading, so it always asks me to put the disc in the drive.
 
Yeah but its like a Jap/UK hybrid, it's called Bioshazard 4 which I assume is something to do with the translation?

Biohazard is the original Japanese name for the Resident Evil series. It's called RE in the US and Europe.
 
Added reported games from other posters, and FSX from my own. Make sure you keep looking at the main posts and try other tricks I did with other games to see if any are a work around as the purpose of this is to help fellow [H]'ers get their stuff up and running:)
 
Are you guys running the games in "Windows XP compatibility mode"? or are you just letting them run in whatever it installs and uses?
 
Keep it up gentleman, very nice resource. Let's get it up to the top for a while. ;)
 
Are you guys running the games in "Windows XP compatibility mode"? or are you just letting them run in whatever it installs and uses?

Thus far, I'm running things natively. Compatability mode is something to try though in extreme conditions and I'll note that in any games that seem to need it.
 
I've been running Company of Heroes on Vista 32-bit ever since CoH was released to the public both at work and here at home. It's never given me a single issue. We also have run Company of Heroes on Vista 64-bit with no issues to report. When I installed it both at home and at work I simply popped the DVD in and ran the installer, no need to run as administrator.

As for Xfire, we're always making improvements with how it interacts with Vista. We're currently looking at figuring out a way of working around the Windows Defender blocking us from automatic startup issue.
 
Call Of Duty 2 - Installed "normally" no issues on install. Everytime I go to start the game though, it takes no less than 1 minute (a real minute) to start up. This seems wierd and odd. I can't seem to narrow down why this is. I have disabled SLI - nothing, I stopped xFIRE - nothing.... anyone have any suggestions? Should i run this in administrator mode?

thanks
 
Installed 100.59 drivers and it's been running like XP.

Call of Duty, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Battlefield 2/2142 work great (You have to run them as Admin so you don't get kicked off for punkbuster crap).
 
Installed 100.59 drivers and it's been running like XP.

Call of Duty, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Battlefield 2/2142 work great (You have to run them as Admin so you don't get kicked off for punkbuster crap).


does COD2 not take forever to load up for you?
 
Yes, yes, it does, but it still works nonetheless. Also Medal of Honor: Allied Assault works great.
 
I tried Rainbow Six Vegas on vista and it runs 12fps slower than on xp, i tried the 97.46 drivers and the 100.54.
 
While I cannot do it while at work, those of you having issues with slow load times or crashed installations, there is another thing to try...

See if there's a patch from the CD Copy protection scheme used by the game in question. For instance....

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory uses Star Force. Guess what? This POS software is gonna give you a headache. To their credit, Star Force supposedly released an 'updated driver' on their website...so those of you with Starforce protections and games you can't part with go check it out and report back if you are that bold. I personally will not buy any game with this protection due to my poor experiences with X3 Reunion which I bought the day of release and could not play until 4 months later when the patch removed it.


It would be interesting to see what CoD2 uses and if that's a cause of slow load times. Also, see if different tricks I already mentioned alleviate the problem, such as launching the shortcut/executable as administrator...etc....
 
Hopefully I'm not mentioning a bunch of repeats...in all cases, I applied whatever patches I found before playing, as well as restored my saved games from XP.

Running Vista x64...

Oblivion: Works fine, including all of the add-ins.
Age of Empires 3: gives an error message stating that it may not work, but seems to work fine.
Madden '07: no issues
Tiger Woods '07: Blue screened a couple of times upon completion of a Team Tour event which completely corrupted the player file, but no other problems to date with other modes of play.
Need for Speed Carbon: Installs fine, does not run w/default settings. As I learned via Google, the cut scenes are the issue - either deleting the Movies folder or running in XP SP2 compatability mode seems to work.
Titan Quest: Works fine.
Star Trek Legacy: Works fine (it's still just as flawed as in Windows XP :))
NBA Live '07: See Star Trek Legacy
Steam games (including HL2, Sin Epispodes 1, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic): no issues
Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Works fine - in fact, looked a lot better for me (could be it auto-sensed better settings than it had in XP). Still the few camera jumping bugs from XP.
Halo: Worked fine.
Doom3: Worked fine.
NASCAR SimRacing: Installation failed by default. Installed fine in XP SP2 compatability mode. Game would not run.
FarCry 64: Beautiful
Sid Meier's Pirates!: Works fine.


From my brief flirtation with a Vista x86 installation:

GTR2: Worked fine.
TOCA3: Required an update to the StarForce driver, then worked fine.
 
While I cannot do it while at work, those of you having issues with slow load times or crashed installations, there is another thing to try...

See if there's a patch from the CD Copy protection scheme used by the game in question. For instance....

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory uses Star Force. Guess what? This POS software is gonna give you a headache. To their credit, Star Force supposedly released an 'updated driver' on their website...so those of you with Starforce protections and games you can't part with go check it out and report back if you are that bold. I personally will not buy any game with this protection due to my poor experiences with X3 Reunion which I bought the day of release and could not play until 4 months later when the patch removed it.


It would be interesting to see what CoD2 uses and if that's a cause of slow load times. Also, see if different tricks I already mentioned alleviate the problem, such as launching the shortcut/executable as administrator...etc....

I put COD2 to run in Compatibility mode and chose windows xp sp2 and it starts up quick as ever.
So that seems to solve my issue...
 
Unless the first pure DX10 games are out, Vista is completely useless for gaming.

You loose speed
No hardware surround sound
You need more memory
Compatibility problems with some games
Driver problems

Why do people punish themselves with this waste?
 
someone has got to be the first! You think that Microsoft has a bunch of peeps sitting around checking out the load times of COD2? ... uh no.. ggs
 
Unless the first pure DX10 games are out, Vista is completely useless for gaming.

You loose speed
No hardware surround sound
You need more memory
Compatibility problems with some games
Driver problems

Why do people punish themselves with this waste?

Personally, I work in IT. Running Vista now allows me to do what I like (game) and work my way about the OS for the time we deploy it. As for your other assertions, which have noe bearing here:

In some cases there may be speed loss
In my case, Realtek has released native Vista drivers for my onboard sound on my Conroe system
Have been running 2 gigs of Ram for a few years now. Those BF2/BF2142 players, and WOW players will tell you that 2 Gigs is the norm. Two gigs is more then sufficient for Vista. Vista will use as much ram as it can, and release it when its needed for other things.
A few games will undoubtedly have problems. That's why we're in this thread trying to help each other.

As for punishment, not everyone builds there own rigs. New computers will undoubtedly come pre-loaded with Vista. ok?
 
its been said by many people on many other forums...myself included that most steam games have choppy video and what not. there is a post about it somewhere on steampowered.com and its been said they are hoping to resolve the issues soon.

no work-around that i know of as of yet.
 
Hello,

I am running vista premium 64. I was able to install Quake 4 CD version with no problems at all.
 
Steam games (including HL2, Sin Epispodes 1, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic): no issues

After putting my TV tuner card back in my system, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic would consistently crash upon quitting the game. Annoying, but not fatal (it didn't take anything else down with it, and games were already saved). Not sure if that affected other Steam games...

A few more to add (still all Vista x64):

No One Lives Forever 2: Works okay. Had some sound issues (as in only music, no game sounds) that were resolved by disabling hardware sound.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Works fine.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: Works fine.
GTA San Andreas: Works fine.
 
Unless the first pure DX10 games are out, Vista is completely useless for gaming.

You loose speed
No hardware surround sound
You need more memory
Compatibility problems with some games
Driver problems

Why do people punish themselves with this waste?
totally! who wants to waste the time...but so many love to live online :rolleyes:...XP untill the day dx10 and a new gpu really screams a difference over dx9.
 
Installed a few more games. Everything done on x64 Vista.

NWN 2: works perfectly, even loads ratings in Games Explorer

NWN: Installed and ran ok, but had really bad frame rate issues. Could be the 8800gtx driver, but NWN ran at 9 fps when my 6800 ultra was over 60 fps at the same settings in XP

Command and Conquer: The First Decade: All games can be made to work, but some need changes. C&C, Red Alert, and Renegade all worked with no modifications. RA2.exe, RA2MD.exe, and clokspl.exe need to run as admin for Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, and Tiberian Sun respectively. For Generals and Zero Hour, it would crash upon starting the game. Looks like the game has trouble autodetecting settings during its first run. Copying the folders from My Docs in my XP install to my Vista install got both running. If you run RA2 and Tiberian Sun manually they appear in Games Explorer. None of the other games do by default. CD versions will most likely work also.

Star Wars Empire at War: Works fine
Star Wars EaW: Forces of Corruption: Also works fine. Doesn't show up in games explorer at all though.

I'll post again when I've installed some more of my collection.
 
City of Villains/Heroes will run safely for about an hour, then it will lock up. This has been my experience as well as that of many members of my Supergroup.

NOTE**** If you are using SLI video cards with City of Villains/Hereos, you will need to DISABLE it and run in WINDOWED MODE in order to play. You need Windowed mode in Vista in order to see your mouse pointer. You need to disable SLI to get the game to run at all.


:eek:
 
Hey, this is a cool thread. My reports running Vista Business 32bit:

Railroads!: Haven't played yet, but installed fine. Doesn't show up in the Games Explorer, though.

Steam games: Seem to run a bit slower, especially with HDR maps. Also, all sorts of wonky stuff shows up in the Games Explorer. Like, steam games I don't even own.

Company of Heroes: I've had a couple of random crashes, I'm guessing Vista related. Also, I can't run with textures set to Ultra, like I used to in XP. I'm guessing it has to do with the bug that's mentioned in the game lobby, since my card has 512mb of memory. My RAM usage seems to be a lot higher in general with this game compared to XP.

Battlefield2: No issues, surprisingly, but I haven't put too much time into it since installing Vista.

Battlefield 1942: the menu is all fucked up. Some stuff isn't visible/selectable others are hard to change. Got kicked for punkbuster stuff, and there's no crosshair! :O

Supreme Commander Demo: went well.

Xfire: Blocked from starting up with system. Most imporantly, I can't access the menu/messages from in any of the games listed above. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any issues.
 
BF2: Works fine.
BF2141: Works fine.
Farcry 1.4 32bit: Stops responding during level loading.
Guild Wars: Works fine.
Guild Wars Factions: Works fine.
Guild Wars Nightfall: Works fine.
Neverwinter Nights 2: Works fine (Also Creatives Alchemy solved all my issues with sound in this game.)
Unreal II: Works fine.
UT2004: Works fine
Knights of the Old Republic 2 the Sith Lords: Won't launch

That's all I've tested so far. Specs are in my signature, and and I'm using the 100.65 WHQL Forceware drivers. SLI turned on.
 
Back
Top