NASA's Landsat Takes Largest Photo Of Earth Ever

Typo in title, there is a D in there somewhere. And I can't believe my work made it to the [H] front page. Woot!!

Yes, I work on 5, 7 and 8, although 5 is in phase 2 of decom right now. I just got done with the development of 8, so I'm taking it easy as its been a crazy 5 years and I'm tired.

Damn and here I was going to say the CIA is finally releasing it's 40 year old technology :D

Lol I was gunna say this is the largest Spy photo ever released. Its got Russia, Syria, Iraq, what else do you need?

Lol I was gunna say this is the largest Spy photo ever released. Its got Russia, Syria, Iraq, what else do you need?

Real time video vs a picture? I wonder how good the zoom capabilities are on this image... like what the actual megapixel count is. I looked at some of the jpgs linked on the page which only take a short-duration to open suggesting their size is under ~8MB or so and generally zooming in you can't make out any clearly defined buildings like you can with google earth.

So I'd say the 'problem' with this lanstat system probably comes down to resolution. Perhaps theres much higher res images available but I didn't care enough to go searching. It is a pretty neat system though combining those 68 seperate images into one long-stretch. Im not that impressed though as I've had 'panoramic' features on image-editors where you simple take 3 photos from 3 different angles and it combines it into a larger image for probably 10+ years. Heck, Microsoft's free Windows Live Photo Gallery does it. Combining 68 images is a bit more impressive because of the potential storage or ram or computational power requierd, but, I think my pc could do the same-thing with Windows Live Photo Gallery (given 24 hours or so on an icore 930 overclocked? /w 16GB of ram)

Can someone tell me why we keep cutting NASA's budget?

B/c we have to be safe from the terrorists! At home, foriegn, domestic, in your back yard, spawned on the internet and the ones that go to that non-christian church that preaches the same basic values! We must put more money into Halliburton to ensure our safety! I mean the military. I mean homeland security. Wait, which group do we need to cut Nasa's funding for?

cool. nice picture. now where is that shuttle program? or is nasa just sticking with photography for now?

First, the Landsat programs are not spy programs and the resolution is considered medium. Its not used for spy purposes because of the resolution. It has a 20m native resolution with a 10m pan band. Its used for science and is a USGS program, not a NASA program. NASA is only responsible for the launch services and the program will be officially USGS only by the end of next week.

DAMMIT! I was hoping that NASA would take a picture of a more barren and uninteresting piece of land!

That's pretty awesome that someone on this forum actually worked on that.

Can someone tell me why we keep cutting NASA's budget?

Because history always repeats itself. Send enough people to a distant location and eventually they don't want to take orders anymore. Maybe the government finally wiser up and decided they didn't want to fund the next powerfull society.

Back