NASA Uploading Archival Flight Footage to YouTube

monkeymagick

[H]News
From the video vaults of NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center (formerly the Dryden Flight Research Center), the space agency is putting up hours of aerospace history onto YouTube. Nearly 300 clips have been posted so far with about 200 more that have not been uploaded yet. Previously, the video clips were only available on the Dryden Aircraft Movie Collection website and updated repository on the Armstrong website.

Fair warning, you'll probably get stuck watching a good hour worth of videos. Unfortunately, none of the videos were narrated by Troy McClure.

Check out a couple of videos.

"NASA has so much digital content that tends to be overlooked by the public, given the difficulty that exists in actually locating the content," Rebecca Richardson, social media manager for NASA Armstrong, told me over email. "Our hope is that by moving the content to more accessible platforms, NASA fans and media personnel will be able to access the content more regularly and become more fully immersed in what is happening at NASA."

Some of the very first "high definition" video footage ever shot was of course done by the boys and girls ("Hidden Figures," excellent movie, check it out sometime) at NASA and a lot of it is something to be treasured absolutely. I hope (and they may already have done it and will add more as time passes) put out a lot of footage from the early days of the Space Shuttle program. I have a lot of regrets in this life of mine so far but one that ranks near the top of the most regrettable overall is not having the opportunity (or at least not making the opportunity happen) to see a Space Shuttle launch live down at Cape Canaveral over the years.

Damn that must have been something to behold. :(

Regardless, I'm sure NASA won't disappoint so even though I wasn't able to be there live there will be footage that I can archive myself and make the best of on some home theater system someday that I still haven't bothered with creating.

And now... I'm gonna fire up foobar2000 and play Rush - "Countdown" on a loop for the next hour or so. :)

For those not in the know, and shame on you for that, here's that song, written and dedicated to NASA and the men and women that sparked our imaginations and pushed science to the limits of our abilities:

Back