Nasa still uses Windows XP

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
I just watched the live feed from the todays EVA. They were showing a screen capture of the orbit - and the computer was showing a Windows XP desktop on the background lol.

If it works, why not? Especially if that machine is isolated from the outside world. Unfortunately, I think a lot of government agencies are still stuck at XP due to very specialized configurations.

XP is only a problem when being used by a typical end user. Within secure environments that do not have Internet access then there's nothing wrong with it.

The age and location of the computer, not to mention specific programming, most likely preclude upgrading.

How would you like a mission critical machine to crash because of a FUBAR'd update?

Our minuteman silos still run on 8" floppies. There was an article lambasting the use of this ancient tech to control such an important operation (assuming it would be used). Personally, I think it's a great idea as there is no way anyone is ever going to hack that system. It's about as safe as you're going to get.

Same with NASA - if it works and does exactly what is needed without fail, why change it?

(and I was just upgraded to 7 at work last week...)

Hell we went to the moon on 60s era tech. Windows XP is revolutionary!

With MS doubling the support costs now for XP they must be reaching the level where it's cheaper for them to refresh code and upgrade.

It's kinda ironic that the organization that's supposed to be space age in tech uses computers from the 60's. On the other hand, Star Trek has some hope still to realize with its 60's user interfaces.

Our hospital still has lot of NT4 stuff. That's what happens when you go with proprietary software for something super critical. The company goes tits up, and there's absolutely zero upgrade path and the software does not work in a newer OS. Though for NASA it's probably more a question of, if it works, why change it.

We're still using XP at work for similar reasons. Most programs are designed to work in a very specific version of java from like 10 years ago. Though it looks like they're working on upgrading to 7, so guessing those programs are going to go in Citrix or in a VM and RDP.

Most news agencies seem to be on XP too, you can see it in the background when they show the reporter talking in the news room. :D

Last edited:
We have a few legacy systems running windows XP in isolated vlans that work 100% fine. As stated before, just keep it off the net and your LAN. Upgrading an OS in a few places would require 10-150k depending on the system due to the other things it controls needing an older OS. So, isolate a few legacy systems or spend 150K... hmmmm, I know which one I am doing.

We have a few legacy systems running windows XP in isolated vlans that work 100% fine. As stated before, just keep it off the net and your LAN. Upgrading an OS in a few places would require 10-150k depending on the system due to the other things it controls needing an older OS. So, isolate a few legacy systems or spend 150K... hmmmm, I know which one I am doing.

Keep off the net, lan and usb sticks.

Keep off the net, lan and usb sticks.

This XP machine is on the net.

Firewall + No exceptions (to protect it from other lan computers)
Autorun is turned off in group policy for USB and optical media
Firefox + NoScript

There's no real local security to speak of, since its only on SP2 so I'm sure there's countless of local vulnerabilities in that respect to elevate privs if they were at the machine, but I'm not too concerned about that. XP gets a bad rep because of network based malware that would infect it so much like Blaster or stuff jumping in through old versions of IE. Mostly not an issue these days though with most people being behind NAT and using modern browsers. As long as they keep their plugins up to date or disabled, most stuff won't come in.

On the other hand, my library has diskless Optiplex machines PXE booting into a Windows 7 environment.

Well, I am using a WinXP box (in sig below) to type this very post. They say virtually all of bank ATM machines still used XP when MS stopped support roughly a year ago.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/20/5326772/windows-xp-powers-95-percent-of-atms-worldwide

many of those run embedded xp which is supported until '16 sometime, others are so heavily restricted/modified they could be running win95 and it wouldn't matter.. ok maybe that is a stretch.

any bank that has an ATM software security breach probably has bigger problems than it running windows xp.

Should probably update/grade next maintenance cycle but users shouldn't worry that it is running xp.. more about skimmers and such.

People shouldn't use ATMs anywho ;-)

So Microsoft might still provide security patch to NASA?

Probably not. If the machine isn't connected to the internet, or protected properly, security updates aren't necessary.

It shows you that Microsoft has a better sales task force than Linux who reach out to the decision makers. (sigh)

Sales was only half of it. Better programming tools was the other half (probably more than half).

Are you sure it was XP and not just a newer OS using the very basic theme?

It's also possible that it is in-fact XP, but that they are paying for extended support.

Are you sure it was XP and not just a newer OS using the very basic theme?

It's also possible that it is in-fact XP, but that they are paying for extended support.

Well unless they were using an XP windowblinds theme, no I'm sure it was XP.

Oh gosh. Anyone else remember when WindowBlinds was all the rage? (Sorry not trying to derail the thread..)

If it works, why not? Especially if that machine is isolated from the outside world. Unfortunately, I think a lot of government agencies are still stuck at XP due to very specialized configurations.

For specialized configuration, I can understand. To keep that old xp look, I don't. Win7 look much more modern and Win10 too.

For all of our classified test systems the new standard the DoD is pushing is windows 7. Why we even use windows to begin with amazes me...

I ended up doing some work for a guy who had a Win98 based CNC machine and he needed the box fixed. It needed new memory and power supply (it was in a metal shop). Tried talking him into replacing the box, but the software is tied to the machine and told me it would cost him tens of thousands of dollars to replace/update the system and would require people from out of state to service it. I'll admit the guy should have not even been working a machine shop (really old) but he told me point blank that by the time the upgrade would pay for itself, he would be dead. Luckily I had EDO RAM and a power supply for the machine and got him up and running. He was grateful and told me if I ever needed anything machined, he would do it for a huge discount.

Sometimes upgrading isn't the answer especially with specialized systems and specialized software that was designed for a specific environment. If it works and people know how to use it why change it?

This XP machine is on the net.

Firewall + No exceptions (to protect it from other lan computers)
Autorun is turned off in group policy for USB and optical media
Firefox + NoScript

There's no real local security to speak of, since its only on SP2 so I'm sure there's countless of local vulnerabilities in that respect to elevate privs if they were at the machine, but I'm not too concerned about that. XP gets a bad rep because of network based malware that would infect it so much like Blaster or stuff jumping in through old versions of IE. Mostly not an issue these days though with most people being behind NAT and using modern browsers. As long as they keep their plugins up to date or disabled, most stuff won't come in.

XP here too! No-script (click to activate: flash, java, javascript, silverlight, or any other annoying web 3.0 technology), ad-block with lots of rules and very aggressive settings, hosts file list, router level keyword blocking, plain text emails, installing new apps in VMs, etc. "Jerry, can I use your computer because its soooo fast? Why doesn't crappymalwaregamingsite.com work? You have to enable stuff, that's a pain?"... Its the price I pay to keep the crap out. ;)

I have some specific hardware & software that does not run on 7, or even Vista. However for my next build I will just separate the environments (sigh) because of no XP drivers for the z98 platform.

Our minuteman silos still run on 8" floppies. There was an article lambasting the use of this ancient tech to control such an important operation (assuming it would be used). Personally, I think it's a great idea as there is no way anyone is ever going to hack that system. It's about as safe as you're going to get.

Wow can they even get replacement parts for that technology like 8" Floppy drives/disks/...
Just because it is old technology does not mean it can not be hacked. That is just as misguided as security by obscurity.

My current setup has to use a combination of windows 2000, xp, and 7 just to run all of the sequences required. we just went through a nightmare upgrading a test zone to complete windows 7 and everything still isnt working properly. Im having all sorts of database errors in the data system due to the changes to jet databases and the such between os versions...

I asked the guys that we buy our high speed data acquisition systems from why they only offer windows software and they said "no one is asking us for anything else." I guess the old saying "you dont fix what aint broke" applies to this

Back