NASA Selects SGI Supercomputer

HardOCP News

[H] News
NASA's new SGI Altix system is a computer nerd’s wet dream, with 1024 dual core processors and 4TB of memory, the first thing I’d do with it is start Folding for Team 33.

Driven by 1,024 Dual-Core Intel(R) Itanium(R) 2 processors, the new system will generate 13.1 TFLOPs of compute power. The system's dual-core processors allow more computing power per square foot, enabling NASA to pack more computing power into its supercomputing center. NASA also acquired an ultra-dense 240TB SGI(R) InfiniteStorage 10000 system to efficiently handle the massive data storage requirements.

Why is nobody ranting about this yet is such a surprise to me.
As usual NASA probably like all government agencies went to the lowest bidder not even thinking of long term economics. They went with good supercomputer company but their selection of Itanium2 based severs? Were there no computer geeks on selection board at all? Fell free to correct me on anything if im wrong but:

1. Isn't Itanium and any associated technology a has-been platform which even Intel been saying they have no plans to continue advancing?

2. In such time of everything being economical and eco-friendly, why did they go with the platform thats the least of all thats available to them?

Thinking long term the power and cooling requirements will outweight the "lowest-bid" factor and might even skyrocket in future if world economics get worse.

Someone could question their selection process too. Quote:
"The multi-faceted NTR evaluation includes assessments of supercomputer performance on a broad set of NASA applications,..." - its' going to run Linux, anything can run Linux.

"...programmability and usability,..." - isn't Itanium paltform not x86 that requires special compilers to run most software? more work for programers and admins.

"...ease of administration, reliability,..." - can't comment since never got to work on that platform (thank God I guess).

"...and the quality of the partnership with the vendor in solving problems..." - only positive thing I think since they went with good company.

"...and advancing technology." - no future in Itanium. Why invest in dead-end paltform?

Plus all the money they could ave saved long term, they could have put to better use like in safety of our astronauts or making future projects more reliable...
Jupiter's Europa anyone?

Back