• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NAS Storage Upgrade - looking for advice

xrelay

n00b
Joined
Dec 19, 2014
Messages
2
I'm running the following setup right now on FreeBSD 10 but am pretty much out of space at this point.
I want more space and am looking for a way to do it properly. Hoping you guys have some input :)

  • Case: NORCO RPC-4224 w/ 120mm fan wall bracket
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1235
  • RAM: 4x Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 4GB, DDR3-1333, CL9, ECC
  • PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 850W ATX 2.31
  • OS HDD: WD Black Mobile 160GB (want to upgrade to SSD mirror at some point)
  • Storage HDDs:
    - 8x WD Green 2TB
    - 16x WD Red 3TB
  • HBA: 3x IBM ServeRAID M1015 (flashed to "IT" firmware)

The drives are in one large pool consisting of 3 vdevs with 8 drives each in a RAIDz2 configuration. The drives are all encrypted using geli.
I'm at 33TB usable space and that's pretty much completely full.
I'm considering re-doing this setup if I'd be able to move off everything to new 8x4TB (or more) drives, because as I understand it the whole array still fails if 3 drives die, correct?

I'm thinking getting an Expander Case would be the ideal thing to do, money and maintenance wise, rather than getting a 2nd case full with Motherboard, CPU, RAM and so on.
I've been looking at either getting https://ri-vier.eu/rivier-4u-24-bay-6g-sassata-expander-rackmount-rver24-p-340.html or http://www.xcase.co.uk/rackmount-se...single-or-redundant-psu-4u-849-00-x-case.html
I'm not really sure what warrants the 500€ difference in price between both shops because the cases appear rather similar, but that's another matter.
I'm not really familiar with expander setups, so I'm not quite sure what my current setup would need to be able to use the expander box completely.

The problem is I googled a bit beforehand and alleged problems with SATA drives, SAS expanders and ZFS pop up every now and again, though I don't know how current any of the info is as some of it is on rather old threads (2010-2012).
Since I don't really want to spend 1k€ on a case I might not be able to use in my setup I've opted to not do anything yet and am hoping people here might have some input on the matter.

I'm open to suggestions in all directions, I've been wanting to expand my storage since the beginning of this year and well, this year is kinda coming to a close by now.
 
I believe, and I'm not a ZFS pro, that you can slowly migrate your disks to larger drives without a problem.

I know you run FreeBSD but the info on how to do it here is here:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/githb/index.html


I would skip the expander and go with larger disks at first. Then I would build a 2nd unit with the old disks as a backup of the first one. Reuse all that hardware tht will be sitting around. Sure it can't back up EVERYTHING but I'm sure there are a handful of things you wish to keep just in case.
 
I believe, and I'm not a ZFS pro, that you can slowly migrate your disks to larger drives without a problem.

I know you run FreeBSD but the info on how to do it here is here:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/githb/index.html


I would skip the expander and go with larger disks at first. Then I would build a 2nd unit with the old disks as a backup of the first one. Reuse all that hardware tht will be sitting around. Sure it can't back up EVERYTHING but I'm sure there are a handful of things you wish to keep just in case.
Hey, yea I'm aware of the possiblity to upgrade all the disks in a vdev to gain more space.
The issue I see with that is that I'm basically buying a 4TB HDD but only actually gaining 2TB space for it as I don't really have HW/case sitting around that I could stick the old drives into.
So then I'd be back at buying a full 2nd case and all that stuff or an expander case, which brings me full circle to the original problem.
I don't really need a backup solution for the stuff in the current setup, to be quite honest.
 
Back
Top