NAS Server not Brodcasting via SMB

N Bates

Limp Gawd
I have been trying to fix this issue like for a couple of months, I had given up, until now, I have got a NAS server running OmniOs and I can't access it via it's host name on windows 10, via IP address is working fine however.

I have recently got an Nvidia shield and the NAS server does not show on there at all, I have tried mounting it manually via it's IP address but this does not work, the system can see the server as I can access all the content via ES File Explorer.

Just to add that I have the NetBIOS enable set to true and today I have added a Guest account via Napp-it with a password.

Not sure what I need to do now to get the server to broadcast itself correctly via SMB.

Thanks for all your help.

A DNS server is the instance to translate a hostname to an ip. If you do not use a DNS server, you can add an entry to the local hosts file on Windows.

https://www.petri.com/easily-edit-hosts-file-windows-10

If you want to broadcast the NAS you need an extra Wins-server ex a Windows Server or you must configure Bonjour/Multicast on OmniOS ex for Macs

A DNS server is the instance to translate a hostname to an ip. If you do not use a DNS server, you can add an entry to the local hosts file on Windows.

https://www.petri.com/easily-edit-hosts-file-windows-10

If you want to broadcast the NAS you need an extra Wins-server ex a Windows Server or you must configure Bonjour/Multicast on OmniOS ex for Macs

I have just switched "Function Discovery Resource Publication" in windows 10 from manual start to automatic and this seems to have fixed not being able to access the NAS on the windows 10 machine via it's name, however, on the Nvidia Shield which runs on android I can't seem to be able to see the NAS on there or be able to mount the network storage on the device.

Do I need to enable Bonjour/Multicast or other for the shield to see the NAS?

Many thanks for all your help _Gea.

Back