NAS server CPU + Mobo recks

eof

Weaksauce
I've changed my mind about my new setup and I'm getting two servers instead of one of which one is a dedicated NAS. This simplifies disk management among other things. I've decided on the following case and need recommendations for CPU and Mobo:

http://www.xcase.co.uk/product-p/case-316-pro.htm

The NAS would be using the ZFS file system. A realistic load that the machine would need to be able to handle simultaneously without much slowdown is approximately the following:

1. A few people streaming HD video
2. Compilation of some large package e.g. the Linux kernel
3. A bunch of bittorrent sessions over a 50Mbit link
4. Random stuff like keeping IMAP sessions open, using git etc.

I have 4 people using it locally and additionally about 15 people reading their mail over IMAP as well as a few accessing a shell server where I share some git projects.

I need a mobo+CPU combination that can handle ECC memory and is cheap. Current thoughts are an AMD FX-6100 based box, because of 6 cores and low price.

1. CPU: AMD FX-6100??
2. Mobo: Needs to fit the case and support ECC
3. RAM: 16GB of some ECC??
4. SAS HBA: X-Case sells two LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA cards with this case, but one LSI SAS 9201-16i HBA seems cheaper. Others???

Would also need two 1GbE NICs. Another option would be one of the cheaper Opterons with low TDP from the 3200 series e.g. the 3260 HE. I'm not sure how much juice ZFS could need taking into account future expansion and increasing loads.

Last edited:
Since it looks like the case will support a regular ATX mobo the choice is a bit easier. I'm going for a board that has extra PCIe x8 slots, so that I can add an external enclosure if I end up using all the current disks. What I have now is:

CPU: AMD FX-6100
Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G
SAS HBA: LSI SAS 9201-16i HBA

I'm still looking for a good cooler for the CPU that is silent and not very tall. Any other opinions about the parts are also welcome. This seems to add up to about 1400 euros without the disks, which is 600 euros less than one of their builds.

I like the NC360T NICs by HP: Intel chipset, dual port, PCIe x4 can be modded to x1 if you don't mind losing a little bandwidth, I've scored em on eBay for around $25; also bet you could get by with less then 6 cores.

Back